Off-Topic Crime 2.0

I’m almost positive VA has one or more “CAP” laws (Child Access Prevention).

To your larger point, about half of the states have some sort of “Safe Storage” and/or “CAP” laws.
Thanks for the info! Guess we'll be learning more details of just how the kid came to bring the weapon to school, what kind of weapon it was (pistol or revolver), who showed him how to use it, etc.

Advertisement
Here's the actual law.

§ 18.2-56.2. Allowing access to firearms by children; penalty.​

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to recklessly leave a loaded, unsecured firearm in such a manner as to endanger the life or limb of any child under the age of fourteen. Any person violating the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to authorize a child under the age of twelve to use a firearm except when the child is under the supervision of an adult. Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. For purposes of this subsection, "adult" shall mean a parent, guardian, person standing in loco parentis to the child or a person twenty-one years or over who has the permission of the parent, guardian, or person standing in loco parentis to supervise the child in the use of a firearm.

Here's the actual law.

§ 18.2-56.2. Allowing access to firearms by children; penalty.​

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to recklessly leave a loaded, unsecured firearm in such a manner as to endanger the life or limb of any child under the age of fourteen. Any person violating the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to authorize a child under the age of twelve to use a firearm except when the child is under the supervision of an adult. Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. For purposes of this subsection, "adult" shall mean a parent, guardian, person standing in loco parentis to the child or a person twenty-one years or over who has the permission of the parent, guardian, or person standing in loco parentis to supervise the child in the use of a firearm.

I’m not super familiar with the liability of it bc if you keep them locked up, your fine. But isn’t their some sort of criminal liability with the broken laws or shooting the gun was used in? Of course you have to be found criminally negligent with your storage.

I’m not super familiar with the liability of it bc if you keep them locked up, your fine. But isn’t their some sort of criminal liability with the broken laws or shooting the gun was used in? Of course you have to be found criminally negligent with your storage.
If a 6 year old is able to take your gun... what are the chances the parent is not negligent? I would think the gun needs to be in a safe or lockbox so that a child can not just find it loose in a drawer or something, right?

Advertisement
If a 6 year old is able to take your gun... what are the chances the parent is not negligent? I would think the gun needs to be in a safe or lockbox so that a child can not just find it loose in a drawer or something, right?
Every state’s law is different. They also have to prove that it wasn’t a temporary placement of the weapon for some reason. It’s not as black and white as it seems.

Advertisement
I don't know. It's a Constitutional right. There is no age limit to Constitutional rights. We've gotta protect that 2A. :cool:

I don't know. It's a Constitutional right. There is no age limit to Constitutional rights. We've gotta protect that 2A. :cool:
Gun ownership is about being a responsible and legal gun owner. If u don’t keep it secure from your young kid, that’s not a responsible gun owner to me. I obviously don’t know all the facts about this case, but it smells of some bad parenting from the details so far

Advertisement

Witnesses told police that as the suspect demanded money at gunpoint from patrons in the restaurant, one of them pulled out a gun and shot the suspect multiple times. The shooter then collected up the stolen money and returned it to the patrons, before leaving the scene with other occupants.

Witnesses told police that as the suspect demanded money at gunpoint from patrons in the restaurant, one of them pulled out a gun and shot the suspect multiple times. The shooter then collected up the stolen money and returned it to the patrons, before leaving the scene with other occupants.

Did you see video

Many very young kids either shoot themselves, or someone else, in their homes each year. Due to parental negligence. This VA case differed in the kid took the gun to school and, per the police, the shooting was not accidental.

Advertisement
Did you see video
1673489126966.gif

Advertisement
Back