Coaching "A difficult offense to defend."

Midlo Cane Fan

No more Midlo

This, he said, “is a hard offense to defend,” Ponce told WQAM’s Joe Zagacki. “No. 1, being able to run the football. You’ve got to be tough and physical up front.

“At the same time, we have play-action passes and drop back. We have outside zone and inside zone. We have a variety of run plays. It keeps defenses off balance because you don’t know which one is coming.”

There’s more variety to UM’s offense than was the case under predecessor Rhett Lashlee, who was highly skilled in pushing the pace with a traditional spread. There are spreads elements to UM’s new offense, but a lot more than that, too.

There’s a particular new play — which we won’t reveal — that UM has been running repeatedly in practice and is convinced will be very effective.

Advertisement

This, he said, “is a hard offense to defend,” Ponce told WQAM’s Joe Zagacki. “No. 1, being able to run the football. You’ve got to be tough and physical up front.

“At the same time, we have play-action passes and drop back. We have outside zone and inside zone. We have a variety of run plays. It keeps defenses off balance because you don’t know which one is coming.”

There’s more variety to UM’s offense than was the case under predecessor Rhett Lashlee, who was highly skilled in pushing the pace with a traditional spread. There are spreads elements to UM’s new offense, but a lot more than that, too.

There’s a particular new play — which we won’t reveal — that UM has been running repeatedly in practice and is convinced will be very effective.
The annexation of Puerto Rico?

There are very few offenses that can’t be stopped. GA shut down Michigan last year with the same O. I would like to hear the coaches talking about how we’ve improved on technique, physicality, and metal sharpness. This is how we can win the ACC. I believe Mario will get us there.

There are very few offenses that can’t be stopped. GA shut down Michigan last year with the same O. I would like to hear the coaches talking about how we’ve improved on technique, physicality, and metal sharpness. This is how we can win the ACC. I believe Mario will get us there.
Using what UGA did as a barometer is a bit hollow. They had a historically great defense. We won’t be facing defenses of that magnitude.

Michigan’s QB was trashola, and their wr’s slow and small. I do give GA credit as well as Meatchicken couldn’t block the front four, but watching the wr’s get 0 separation and the QB throw into the dirt in the 1st quarter told me all I needed to know about the end result.

Advertisement
Michigan’s QB was trashola, and their wr’s slow and small. I do give GA credit as well as Meatchicken couldn’t block the front four, but watching the wr’s get 0 separation and the QB throw into the dirt in the 1st quarter told me all I needed to know about the end result.
Yep.

Playcalling and scheme are irrelevant when the opposing defense physically dominates you in all phases for 60 minutes.

Last edited:

I don't feel we're going to see the exact same O Michigan ran.

Advertisement
1658460714858.gif

Please be Brown right, 22 trap.

They're saying clemson might be on that level?
Not as dominant in the Secondary as UGA’s was last year because they lost most of their Upperclassmen & while their young guys are talented & Mike Reed does a good job with development, it’s hard to say they’ll be as good in that aspect.

But the front 7 DL & LB corps are going to be really good this year, especially Trenton Simpson, Myles Murphy & Tyler Davis. They also have kids like Bryan Bresee, Ruke Orhorhoro, Lavonta Bentley, Barrett Carter & Jeremiah Trotter Jr who are set to breakout this year.

Advertisement
Using what UGA did as a barometer is a bit hollow. They had a historically great defense. We won’t be facing defenses of that magnitude.

Can't say it's the same offense when Ponce, Mirabal and Mario are clearly adding their flavor to the mix.

Not as dominant in the Secondary as UGA’s was last year because they lost most of their Upperclassmen & while their young guys are talented & Mike Reed does a good job with development, it’s hard to say they’ll be as good in that aspect.

But the front 7 DL & LB corps are going to be really good this year, especially Trenton Simpson, Myles Murphy & Tyler Davis. They also have kids like Bryan Bresee, Ruke Orhorhoro, Lavonta Bentley, Barrett Carter & Jeremiah Trotter Jr who are set to breakout this year.
Yeah i follow da good teams in the conference! Im well aware of Clemson's talent on defense. If we could stop them from scoring we could take them down!

Advertisement
Losing Venables is gonna be a lot bigger than most people realize. You dont just lose one of the best D coordinators in the country and just keep it moving. Him and Aranda are 2 of the best in the biz.
They think if they keep it in house it will be smooth transition! Kinda, like if gattis leaves then hypothetically ponce could step in?

Advertisement
Back