MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Technically, none of us have seen The Composition Clause. It's somewhere inside of the "trade secrets" Fort-Knox-guarded ESPN contract held deep within the bowels of the ACC offices in Charlotte.

But having dealt with similar clauses, I'd imagine that the "one-year-notice" would cause the reduction in payout in the NEXT year. Even if F$U and Clemson were to announce an intent to leave the ACC on August 15, 2024, they would still PLAY IN THE ACC in 2024-25, so I don't believe that ESPN would be allowed to reduce the 2024-25 payout based upon a future event that has not yet happened. I believe the payout reduction would come into play in 2025-26.
Will be interesting to see how it all transpires. Once FSU / Clemson announce if ESPN comments that the composition clause will be enacted, the threat of a media payout reduction could certainly cause other schools to attempt to bail. There has been some smoke that major $$$ UNC boosters, who allegedly carry more weight than the BOG, have met and are very much in favor of moving to the P2 in the interests of what is best for UNC. If UNC announces a departure, can UM be far behind?

Advertisement
Will be interesting to see how it all transpires. Once FSU / Clemson announce if ESPN comments that the composition clause will be enacted, the threat of a media payout reduction could certainly cause other schools to attempt to bail. There has been some smoke that major $$$ UNC boosters, who allegedly carry more weight than the BOG, have met and are very much in favor of moving to the P2 in the interests of what is best for UNC. If UNC announces a departure, can UM be far behind?

It's a very complex calculus right now.

On one side, you have "well, we don't want to get 'too big' by conference and potentially dilute our time slots and revenue share" that leads to the idea of "conservative, slow growth" on the part of Big 10/SEC decision-makers.

On the other side, you have a desire for the networks (and scheduling etc.) to have some amount of certainty, and for all of the game-playing to be over, assuming the networks pony-up with the knowledge that they have secured "enough" of the best teams that there is no real "third-party conference" that will ever be able to reach an equal tier with the P2.

In the mix are issues of NCAA vs. stand-alone football governing body, paying the players as employees, and revenue-sharing, not to mention how/if NIL remains a thing once players are salaried. In short, you would think that if you are going to navigate THAT MUCH CHANGE, that you'd like to nail down the other issues as much as possible.

Particularly since it SEEMS TO BE that your P2 admission ticket is "are you committed to the proper spending/resources level", then I believe that some of the Sorting Hat issues will be self-selecting. For example, Miami will commit to spending what it takes, Boston College will not, etc.

Put another way, if the Big 10/SEC are going to become the NFC/AFC of college football, then you are probably looking at 20-22 teams each. And I would expect that streaming will be a way to get more "time slots" than what might be available on broadcast. I'd also expect 10-game conference schedules. If it was "only" 8 or 9 conference games, then I'd expect a chunk of the OOC to be cross-P2, and then the networks who own the Big 10 and SEC would be in a mutually-beneficial spot as it relates to OOC games.

Interesting times.

Everything depends on who, and how many, the Big 10 and SEC take. And a lot of THAT will probably depend on what the networks project they can pay under an expanded marketplace.

On one side, you have "well, we don't want to get 'too big' by conference and potentially dilute our time slots and revenue share" that leads to the idea of "conservative, slow growth" on the part of Big 10/SEC decision-makers.

On the other side, you have a desire for the networks (and scheduling etc.) to have some amount of certainty, and for all of the game-playing to be over, assuming the networks pony-up with the knowledge that they have secured "enough" of the best teams that there is no real "third-party conference" that will ever be able to reach an equal tier with the P2.

In the mix are issues of NCAA vs. stand-alone football governing body, paying the players as employees, and revenue-sharing, not to mention how/if NIL remains a thing once players are salaried. In short, you would think that if you are going to navigate THAT MUCH CHANGE, that you'd like to nail down the other issues as much as possible.

Particularly since it SEEMS TO BE that your P2 admission ticket is "are you committed to the proper spending/resources level", then I believe that some of the Sorting Hat issues will be self-selecting. For example, Miami will commit to spending what it takes, Boston College will not, etc.

Put another way, if the Big 10/SEC are going to become the NFC/AFC of college football, then you are probably looking at 20-22 teams each. And I would expect that streaming will be a way to get more "time slots" than what might be available on broadcast. I'd also expect 10-game conference schedules. If it was "only" 8 or 9 conference games, then I'd expect a chunk of the OOC to be cross-P2, and then the networks who own the Big 10 and SEC would be in a mutually-beneficial spot as it relates to OOC games.

Interesting times.

Everything depends on who, and how many, the Big 10 and SEC take. And a lot of THAT will probably depend on what the networks project they can pay under an expanded marketplace.
It's interesting that the B10 is commencing "Friday Night Football" for at least 9 games this Fall. Will a Thursday Night "B10 vs SEC" OOC matchup be far behind? From some reading of late there is reportedly a lot of SEC / B10 cooperative planning going on in order to program more games of national appeal. All indications I see at the moment lead to FSU to the B10 and even 50/50 that Clemson ends up there as well. That puts them at 20, so I would hope the B10 is looking at "22" in order to add Miami and one other. Would be nice for Miami to actually win the ACC and make the CFP this year. Every little bit helps.

It's interesting that the B10 is commencing "Friday Night Football" for at least 9 games this Fall. Will a Thursday Night "B10 vs SEC" OOC matchup be far behind? From some reading of late there is reportedly a lot of SEC / B10 cooperative planning going on in order to program more games of national appeal. All indications I see at the moment lead to FSU to the B10 and even 50/50 that Clemson ends up there as well. That puts them at 20, so I would hope the B10 is looking at "22" in order to add Miami and one other. Would be nice for Miami to actually win the ACC and make the CFP this year. Every little bit helps.

Right now it seems like the wildcard is the SEC. Who. How many. When.

If the SEC was smart, they would take F$U, Clemson, UNC, NC State.

VaTech if any of those 4 went to the Big 10.

Anything else would just be stupid on the SEC's part.

Advertisement

Clemson wants to be paid to leave the ACC...

1714675883433.png

Advertisement
Advertisement

Something definitely will get done, but why do I get the feeling this will just begin a litany of lawsuits?

How does Title IX come into play? Will schools have to take football, men's basketball, and other revenue generating sports (i.e. women's basketball for some schools) and take them out of the athletic department since Title IX comes into play for entities that receive government funds?

Perhaps create private corporations that run the revenue sports and whose revenue streams come from tv money, sponsorship, and ticket sales - no tax-free donations anymore and the corporation would also be taxed like a regular company. Basically, the school would license its name and logo to the private corporation for use.

Advertisement
There’s no CHANCE fsu goes B10 and we do too. Hope it’s not TRUE

FSU still isn’t AAU accredited. People can say it’s a formality but the AAU members are generally very selective and I don’t think fsu meets the criteria. The AAU looked at both USF and FSU last year, but only extended an invite to USF. FSU has far more name recognition but it didn’t matter. UM got in because we have a huge biomedical research program. I don’t think FSU has anything comparable. My guess would still be FSU /Clemson to SEC , UNC and Miami to B1G ( or UM /ND)

Interesting times.

I'm not certain all current members of SEC and B1G can sign up for the next era of big money football.

So does that cause a reshuffling of those conferences as well?

Do Vandy and Northwestern wholly abandon any pretense of admissions standard (as would Miami, UNC, UCLA, and UVA)?

Does Stanford try to join this big money league somehow?

The permutations are deliciousoso!

I'm not certain all current members of SEC and B1G can sign up for the next era of big money football.

So does that cause a reshuffling of those conferences as well?

Do Vandy and Northwestern wholly abandon any pretense of admissions standard (as would Miami, UNC, UCLA, and UVA)?

Does Stanford try to join this big money league somehow?

The permutations are deliciousoso!
GT, Va Tech, Stanford, NW, Vandy, UVA are about to get relegated to this G5 playoff round league.

No one cares about "TV markets" anymore- no need for Rutgers, Maryland, or NW in the Big 10.

Advertisement
Back