You can't neglect hs recruiting

I think we are close to the same page. It’s about the wins and getting to the playoffs… and I think rosters can be built more than one way…

Others seem dead set on it can only be done the way our current coach has done it in the past…. Yet is adapting to the portal himself…
i think we have similarity in thought, but i lean more to having top classes each year ... for example i'm all for going portal heavy this offseason, despite what some think I feel with the right qb and healthy we'd have a college football playoff roster (since expanding to 12 teams)

Advertisement
i think we have similarity in thought, but i lean more to having top classes each year ... for example i'm all for going portal heavy this offseason, despite what some think I feel with the right qb and healthy we'd have a college football playoff roster (since expanding to 12 teams)
Right on. We don't abandon Mario's strength - which is HS - we maximize it and strategically apply it to the portal...

Georgia had a top class and then went shopping for Etienne and Young...

People on CIS also are terrible at separating emotion.... if Minnesota's coach brought in their only 2 10 win seasons in 60 years or Arizona State used the portal to win 10 and then 13 games while improving their HS recruiting people would be more rational about it, but because the examples are Lane and FSU, they are from the Waterboy saying "that portal is the devil"...

Last edited:
How much of that college football roster do you think lost to Rutgers? More specifically starters?

How much of that college football roster do you think lost to Rutgers? More specifically starters?
IMG_3476.gif

Advertisement
Norvell may be a good coach but their offensive production slipped this season especially in the run game

TrumpyCane can only imagine how much worse it will get next year

we're good in spots ... cooper, mauigua, rivers on the oline, lost fletcher early
x on the outside, i wanna say george, but that was one of the worst games i've seen from him in regards to his IQ ... he's shown flashes, but has to mature
bain on the front, mauigua at linebacker, porter and brown at corner

now we need another year of improvement ... already think the dline will improve based on portal additions ... we've addressed the center, i think our oline fixes are in the building by january

also, the cfp will be 12 teams, that's main reason for my argument ... but remember i'm "nuanced" (according to you) i believe in process and building (i'm also a teacher, so i understand it) and i personally believed we improved, it just didn't equate to the amount of wins we would like ...

final question is that our toughness and fight improved this year, no doubt ... will our coaching improve though?

we're good in spots ... cooper, mauigua, rivers on the oline, lost fletcher early
x on the outside, i wanna say george, but that was one of the worst games i've seen from him in regards to his IQ ... he's shown flashes, but has to mature
bain on the front, mauigua at linebacker, porter and brown at corner

now we need another year of improvement ... already think the dline will improve based on portal additions ... we've addressed the center, i think our oline fixes are in the building by january

also, the cfp will be 12 teams, that's main reason for my argument ... but remember i'm "nuanced" (according to you) i believe in process and building (i'm also a teacher, so i understand it) and i personally believed we improved, it just didn't equate to the amount of wins we would like ...

final question is that our toughness and fight improved this year, no doubt ... will our coaching improve though?
We were missing 2 safeties and 1 DT 2 days ago. If you are expecting Clark and/or Cook to be leaps and bounds better than Dean and Gore I'm sorry for your loss. I appreciate nuance but I think this is more hope than actual logic.

We were missing 2 safeties and 1 DT 2 days ago. If you are expecting Clark and/or Cook to be leaps and bounds better than Dean and Gore I'm sorry for your loss. I appreciate nuance but I think this is more hope than actual logic.
Clark/Cook together are better than Deen/Gore IMO. Not leaps/bounds better, but definitely an improvement.

Advertisement
Clark/Cook together are better than Deen/Gore IMO. Not leaps/bounds better, but definitely an improvement.
I mean Im not arguing that mostly because Gore is god awful and Deen is meh. But it's not we went and got an elite or even great DT. Both have a ceiling of good.

fair points, but there has to be more development (which we all agree has been happening) ... we need horton and moten to continue to develop ... if jhh comes back (not sure where he'd go after that performance) we'll have a nice rotation

in regards to hope, well that'll be every team in a few weeks, hoping guys get better, hoping coaching gets better, etc. ... i'm banking with the right qb we're a top 12 team and if we get in, that'll be another selling point

You wouldn’t be ok with 10 win seasons and building on that?

That’s not the point. This is about building a sustainable strategy that results in being one of the top 5 to 6 programs in a year and year out basis.

It’s really a stupid question which you were asking to further your ongoing agenda. I would take eight wins this year. That doesn’t mean that’s any good, or something we should strive for. I’m for going for the fences.

Advertisement
That’s not the point. This is about building a sustainable strategy that results in being one of the top 5 to 6 programs in a year and year out basis.

It’s really a stupid question which you were asking to further your ongoing agenda. I would take eight wins this year. That doesn’t mean that’s any good, or something we should strive for. I’m for going for the fences.
the portal era has skewed the concept of program building ... what if mc has a roy williams like arc ...

the portal era has skewed the concept of program building ... what if mc has a roy williams like arc ...

I don’t know. Some are just talking in circles here. At the end of the day, we’ll see what strategy plays out the best.

Just of the opinion that you have to have BOTH, but I lean towards having more of our players be recruited and developed vs portal. It’s like we’re arguing nuance here - what percentage should be recruits versus portal.

I also think the coaches that are going to be the most successful are the ones that are able to adapt to their circumstances.

Flexibility is important, as well as not being resistant to change. Those are just general keys to success in all things.

Will literally take years to play out. In the meantime, you’re going to see teams like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, and an few others be the top 5 to 6 teams every year. I don’t think it’s likely that Ole Miss nor FSU are going to be in that elite mix. Let’s see what happens.

I don’t know. Some are just talking in circles here. At the end of the day, we’ll see what strategy plays out the best.

Just of the opinion that you have to have BOTH, but I lean towards having more of our players be recruited and developed vs portal. It’s like we’re arguing nuance here - what percentage should be recruits versus portal.

I also think the coaches that are going to be the most successful are the ones that are able to adapt to their circumstances.

Flexibility is important, as well as not being resistant to change. Those are just general keys to success in all things.

Will literally take years to play out. In the meantime, you’re going to see teams like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, and an few others be the top 5 to 6 teams every year. I don’t think it’s likely that Ole Miss nor FSU are going to be in that elite mix. Let’s see what happens.
I don't think it is percentage based. The correct way to portal is to bring in difference-makers. Don't settle when you like what you have.

Advertisement
I don't think it is percentage based. The correct way to portal is to bring in difference-makers. Don't settle when you like what you have.

Don’t know that that’s saying anything different than I’ve been saying. You’re talking about filling holes with difference makers. Which is what everyone should strive for.

Unfortunately, for the most part, we’ve been filling holes with roster depth guys, because for the last few years, our roster has been unbalanced both in terms of talent and depth. There were some positions where we just needed bodies.

Don’t know that that’s saying anything different than I’ve been saying. You’re talking about filling holes with difference makers. Which is what everyone should strive for.

Unfortunately, for the most part, we’ve been filling holes with roster depth guys, because for the last few years, our roster has been unbalanced both in terms of talent and depth. There were some positions where we just needed bodies.
Agreed, I just know the way Mario uses the portal is wrong. Homesick, kin, warm body, should not be criteria used.

Advertisement
Back