Who were other candidates?

Back to the original question....my understanding is that they half heartedly went after a couple of candidates, but were unwilling or unable to pay a competitive salary. The line about listening to what the players wanted was just an easy cover to hide the reality.

I doubt that seriously. It's a myth that UM is "unwilling or unable to pay a competitive salary," and it's been proven untrue on several occasions.

People seem to forget that Butch didn't actually split until January 30th, just a few days before signing day. Not too many high-profile coaches are willing to split their gigs at or after NSD.

I know I am wearing orange and green glasses but I bet a whole bunch a coaches would split to get their hands on the UM roster at that time.

Advertisement
Back to the original question....my understanding is that they half heartedly went after a couple of candidates, but were unwilling or unable to pay a competitive salary. The line about listening to what the players wanted was just an easy cover to hide the reality.

I doubt that seriously. It's a myth that UM is "unwilling or unable to pay a competitive salary," and it's been proven untrue on several occasions.

People seem to forget that Butch didn't actually split until January 30th, just a few days before signing day. Not too many high-profile coaches are willing to split their gigs at or after NSD.

I know I am wearing orange and green glasses but I bet a whole bunch a coaches would split to get their hands on the UM roster at that time.

You can say that looking back at it now, but I doubt anyone knew at the time that we'd be as dominant as we were.

When you're really good and have been for years, then it appears that whoever you hire should be able to continue the run.

Football players after all, are "JUST" student athletes, and academics is why all students attend the U.

So the admin saw a way to save time, save effort, and definitely save some bucks.

They took the lazy, cheap way out.

Twice!

I can't recall how much money we offered to potential candidates when Butch left, but I know that we reportedly offered Schiano 2.2 mil when Coker left, and Chimpy turned us down. So UM didn't take the lazy, cheap way out--they honestly thought that Shannon was a good choice.

i lobbied for Les Miles who was at Okie st at the time, now not so sure that would have been the correct move

Advertisement
i lobbied for Les Miles who was at Okie st at the time, now not so sure that would have been the correct move

Wouldnt have been the long term fix but we would be in alot better position at this point IMO if we had Miles over Coker.

Never know, Miles could have won a couple more championships and then took an NFL Job or big SEC job

When you're really good and have been for years, then it appears that whoever you hire should be able to continue the run.

Football players after all, are "JUST" student athletes, and academics is why all students attend the U.

So the admin saw a way to save time, save effort, and definitely save some bucks.

They took the lazy, cheap way out.

Twice!

I can't recall how much money we offered to potential candidates when Butch left, but I know that we reportedly offered Schiano 2.2 mil when Coker left, and Chimpy turned us down. So UM didn't take the lazy, cheap way out--they honestly thought that Shannon was a good choice.

Yeah, we actually DID take the cheap way out. That Schiano offer - hearsay is BS.

What our administration since hiring JJ hasn't figured out is that the cost of a top coach is not a cost. Does anyone think for a moment that Les Miles or Bob Stoops, or Nick Saban actually costs their universities any money, or do their winning ways generate more money than they cost? Like a salesman. A really good salesman will make his salary and cover the salaries of a whole lot of other folks. They may get a paycheck, but they don't cost money - they make money.

You start contending for NC's every year, you finish in the top ten every year, and you make money. And you have to pay a winning coach.

Not a damned coordinator who's an unproven head coach.

Another prime example of why you never let the players play GM.

We thereafter had two undefeated seasons, played in two NC games and one one of them. I'd say it was a pretty good decision.

A monkey could have led those teams to 2 NC championship games. A decent coach wouldn't have let OSU even be in the game, let alone be in position to win it.

Advertisement
Keeping Coker may have been the correct move. We were a terrible call away from back to back ships. Extending him and then hiring Shannon however.

See I got the ban hammer for saying the opposite. I still think we could have brought in a new coach that wouldn't have changed the system. We were loaded to the max, the fact that it came down to a blown call was insane. The 01 teamed coached itself. We needed the coaching in 02, after the ship, and we had Coker. The storm would have rolled on after back to back ships and all our lives would have been much better. Any improvement over Coker would have done wonders.

Keeping Coker may have been the correct move. We were a terrible call away from back to back ships. Extending him and then hiring Shannon however.

ARRGH!!! You're kidding me! Coker was the worst move ..... until PDee and pc Mama decided to hire RS!! Shame was thaht shannon did not keep his promise of shooting himself ...

I agree with a lot being said but the orginal question still stands? Why an unproven assistant for what was at the time the most talented roster in the country? Basically judging Coker's track record and opinion here any top coach could have walked straight into 2 national championships. Why wasn't an experienced HC hired?

Think back to the past, Schnelly unproven but hired while UM was a doormat, followed by Johnson and Erickson, both with HC experience. Butch hired while UM in the dumps. Why not follow the same model set by forth by Sam Jankovich? A model that was successful?

Keep in mind we didn't have the internet at that time, but I specifically recall that quite a stir was raised by our QB and some other players who pushed for Coker.

Some figured out incorrectly that surely those on the team would have a good idea if he was a good coach or not, but we all know that discipline and good order went right out the window. Takes more than being clappy happy and lazily recruiting stars.

Nice guy? Yup. Disciplinarian? Nope.

Advertisement
Keep in mind we didn't have the internet at that time, but I specifically recall that quite a stir was raised by our QB and some other players who pushed for Coker.

Some figured out incorrectly that surely those on the team would have a good idea if he was a good coach or not, but we all know that discipline and good order went right out the window. Takes more than being clappy happy and lazily recruiting stars.

Yes we did have the Internet at that time.

As for the original question, we put out some feelers when Butch left but there was no initial serious interest and by then the Hire Coker train was at the point it could not be stopped. We truthfully have never been a place where hiring a football coach has been as easy as many think.

As far as that goes, technically, we had computers in the 1940's, before television, and long before color television.

The internet was immature and undeveloped, and I dare you to post some of the Miami Hurricane postings that were on the internet AT Coker's hiring.

Advertisement
As far as that goes, technically, we had computers in the 1940's, before television, and long before color television.

The internet was immature and undeveloped, and I dare you to post some of the Miami Hurricane postings that were on the internet AT Coker's hiring.

I don't think you can find those postings from way back 2001.

I don't think you can find those postings from way back 2001.

I was on Grassy and I remember stuff even before that. Remember the uproar when there a rally called to oust him as OC!

Advertisement
Back