What's your preference for filling the staff?

How would you fill out your remaining 4 staff spots?

• QB Coach, TE Coach, Edge Rusher (DE/OLB) Coach, 2nd DB Coach (CBs, S, or Nickel/"Striker")

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • QB Coach, TE Coach, ST Coach, 2nd DB Coach

Votes: 46 36.8%
  • QB Coach, TE Coach, OLB Coach, 2nd DB Coach

Votes: 26 20.8%
  • QB Coach, TE Coach, Edge Coach, LB Coach

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • Other (Write in your ****)

Votes: 9 7.2%

• Total voters
I'd like an Edge/OLB coach since that position has gotten so important these days
I wouldn't argue with a dedicated ST coach if he's legit otherwise we could do the LB/ST coach thing again. bring back Patke!

I guess it really depends on what Steele wants to with his unit.

Offensively it's gotta be a TE coach and a QB coach. Personally, I'd like to see them chase an up and comer at QB coach. Someone who's trying to make a name for himself as a future OC. Maybe someone to groom if Gattis does a great job and moves on in a few years.
I pray Mario listen to the pressure and give Jason Taylor a chance as a GA or OLB coach

Advertisement
Dennis Smith, who has a long successful track record with ST will be our ST coach. Read his bio below from LA Tech. If Mario strikes out on his “big fish hunting” maybe he will end on field....so he will be off field. I’m not familiar with all the rules limiting off field coaches, but I assume he will coordinate units during practice with input and assistance from whichever coach “coaches” the units on game day.

I pray Mario listen to the pressure and give Jason Taylor a chance as a GA or OLB coach
28186365-E04E-4C37-B2C3-4E265069214F.gif

Advertisement
Why would Jason Taylor want to work that hard? the dude is probably a multi-millionaire.
Basically he’s already the D-line coach for saint Thomas aquaunis in Ft Lauderdale, ppl in UM wanted Mario to reach out to him he wants to coach and looking for an opportunity and his son is going to be beast as well

I want an elite special teams coach over a 2nd DB or OLB coach…

- QB
- TE
- LB
- STs

Why would we have a TE coach but no WR coach? There are more receivers on the field at any time than TE's.

I would say hire a "Passing Game Coordinator" and make that some big league hire, and they can coach both. And the TE can also work part time with Mirabal.
But whatever Mario wants to do, he's crushed it so far with these hires

Advertisement
I'm not talking names....we have 50 threads for that. But we can have 10 assistant, on-field coaches. So far, we have hired 6:

Josh Gattis -- Not official, but widely expected he will be the OC and coach WRs
Kevin Smiff -- RBs
Alex Mirabal -- OL
Joe Salave'a -- DL
Kevin Steele -- DC, and he has experience coaching LBs as well
Jahmile Addae -- DB

That leaves 4 more to hire. If you were Mario, where would those coaches be deployed?

CAVEAT: All the choices will contain QB coach and TE coach, as I believe it's a certainty that Mario will hire guys to man these 2 spots for sure. Perhaps the TE coach doubles as the ST coach, perhaps he has the Grad Asst from La Tech handle it and someone just helps on gameday, I'm not sure. But we're hiring a QB coach and someone has to coach the Tight Ends. Also, with this being said, you're almost definitely going to hire 2 on offense and 2 on defense, possibly with an ST coach stuck somewhere in there. Which way are you leaning and why?
QB
WR
TE
LB/ST

We've got to get a really strong ST coach, and I'd prefer our coordinators not have direct position responsibility. Obviously, Steele will help out at LB and Gattis will help at WR, but that's what I see as the ideal.

Dennis Smith, who has a long successful track record with ST will be our ST coach. Read his bio below from LA Tech. If Mario strikes out on his “big fish hunting” maybe he will end on field....so he will be off field. I’m not familiar with all the rules limiting off field coaches, but I assume he will coordinate units during practice with input and assistance from whichever coach “coaches” the units on game day.

Real one!!!!

QB
WR
TE
LB/ST

We've got to get a really strong ST coach, and I'd prefer our coordinators not have direct position responsibility. Obviously, Steele will help out at LB and Gattis will help at WR, but that's what I see as the ideal.

6 offensive coaches and only 4 on defense and one of the defensive guys has to take special teams? And we have a head coach that specializes on the offensive side? That would be tough.

Advertisement
Why would we have a TE coach but no WR coach? There are more receivers on the field at any time than TE's.

I would say hire a "Passing Game Coordinator" and make that some big league hire, and they can coach both. And the TE can also work part time with Mirabal.
But whatever Mario wants to do, he's crushed it so far with these hires
Gattis coached WR at Michigan so he'd likely be doing the same at Miami. College staffs always always have TE's coaches in some capacity so I'm not sure where the disconnect is.

6 offensive coaches and only 4 on defense and one of the defensive guys has to take special teams? And we have a head coach that specializes on the offensive side? That would be tough.
Don't disagree. That said, we've got some defensive minded guys in "off-field" roles that will be heavily involved, like DVD with corners.

I could also deal with the TE's coach also helping out with WR's (depending on the coach) and Gattis being primary on WR's, which would free up LB coach from ST duties and free up the WR coach position to be purely special teams.

I just generally want each position group to have their own guy so that they get the personal attention and development that they need.

Advertisement
Back