What happened to Al Golden's firesale?

Advertisement
yea, been wondering the same thing...I think Golden may just go through the spring with the guys and see which ones progressed and which digressed then make the cuts. If i'm not mistaken schollies are good for one year so if a player was signed in August of any year the following august they are up for renewal. With that being said I can see Golden making some cuts after the spring unless a player wants out. Regardless if he cuts them now they will still be on scholly till the end of the Spring so might as well let them go through spring and see what they got

If this class is 32, then that means we can't have more than 53 holdovers. Has anyone got a count on holdovers? If it's more than 53, then Golden will be encouraging the excess to seek other opportunities.

Advertisement
Most likely to be asked to get lost:

Holton
B. Jones
J. Lewis
D. Johnson

Pretty sure if he did it right now we wouldn't have enough players for the spring

Is it that hard to figure out that they will wait until after Spring? There would be no benefit to let kids go before Spring football. Coaches get another chance to evaluate players, see who has improved and see who is dead weight; plus we need bodies for practice.

Advertisement
Is it that hard to figure out that they will wait until after Spring? There would be no benefit to let kids go before Spring football. Coaches get another chance to evaluate players, see who has improved and see who is dead weight; plus we need bodies for practice.

This.

Heck when did Smith and Cook transfer a few years back? Like two days before the season? Seriously though we see transfers right up until the last minute, whats the issue?

Can't really do anything until end of Spring Semester - and it will give questionable kids another chance to come to Jesus on whether they'll do it, or move on to other things.

Advertisement

This. The kids will be given their shot to show something. All anyone can ask for is a chance. They will have their chance.

Advertisement

Holton
B. Jones
J. Lewis
D. Johnson

Cant see Golden cutting Lewis and Holton. Effort is not there issue and they are team players. I would say:

Thompkins
McGee (wishful thinking more then anything)
Payne
Hall

among a few others

This. The kids will be given their shot to show something. All anyone can ask for is a chance. They will have their chance.

Yes. Not only this, but didnt Golden make those comments before all the juniors declared? Back then, we needed to make a ton of room for a huge class. Now, the scholie situation has opened up a lot with the Jrs leaving early so we can still take a huge class without having to let go of so many players.

Holton
B. Jones
J. Lewis
D. Johnson

Cant see Golden cutting Lewis and Holton. Effort is not there issue and they are team players. I would say:

Thompkins
Payne
Hall

among a few others

Are you sure about Holton? I remember more than once reading about his attitude problems - i dont think he got moved to FB based on his blocking skills! He was top 3 on my list of attrition candidates (Sanders and Ben Jones being the other two).

With Calhoun apparently no longer on the team, this is my list of attrition candidates:

Holton
Sanders (not a word about him in 3 years)
Ben Jones (we are thin at OL but this guy hasnt contributed in 4 years here at all and he should have graduated already)
Darion Hall (if we dont get another RB this year, we will be thin, but i still think Hall could get his discharge papers)
Davon Johnson (not a word about him in 4 years, we are thin at CB but the fact that we are bringing in at least 4 if not 5 or even 6 CBs tells me he is likely gone)
Payne (holdover of the team cancer crew which included Travis Williams, Storm Johnson, etc., not a peep about him even though our CB depth is paper thin)
Thompkins (perennial Greentree All American but never gets playing time in real games, WR depth is paper thin, dont know if he gets his 5th year)

Holton
B. Jones
J. Lewis
D. Johnson

Thompkins
Payne
Hall

among a few others

I actually like what Thompkins offers, if for nothing else but special teams.

Advertisement
Back