We got robbed, should have been 6 rings...

While the call was bad, the sheer fact that we even let it get to the point that a call like that mattered was the problem. That team played down to its competition all year and while OSU had a quality team from top to bottom , you'll never convince that we weren't much better than they were. Just like we had all season, we played down to our opponents, except in this case OSU had a motivated team good enough to take advantage of that. We were good enough to make Porter irrelevant.

Advertisement
The untold story of that game was Ohio State's DL. A Miami person told me before the game that Canes fans were underestimating the quality of that front four.

As we saw with the Giants in 2008, a dominant DL can swing a game.

We'd have 6 rings regardless if FSU had defeated Oklahoma in the 2000 title game. The AP poll was prepared to vote for Miami by decisive margin. That day on Miami sports talk radio I listened to one Canes fan after another saying they were rooting for Oklahoma, simply to spite FSU, regardless of the impact on Miami. I was in disbelief at the ignorance but the same theme persisted after the game. Canes fans actually celebrated the Oklahoma win on Canes message boards.

A year later I remembered that idiocy, and despite the agony I felt after the Ohio State game, the result almost seemed justified. Take the cheap ones because nothing is guaranteed down the road. The tally would now be Miami 6, FSU 3, Florida 3. Certainly preferable to 5-2-3.

The untold story of that game was Ohio State's DL. A Miami person told me before the game that Canes fans were underestimating the quality of that front four.

**** yeah. I remember seeing our guys get pushed around like mofos after the first couple of series and thinking "oh ****.". Romberg got his *** kicked that game.

Advertisement

Correct. Even Kirk Herbstreet mentioned this prior to the game. And to make matters worse oSu called dog blitzes all night, and Kehoe and the OL never found an answer.

Advertisement
Back