Rumor Warren Ruggiero?

Advertisement
Not at all what I said, but cool story, bro.
Frankly it’s about it actually being plausible that Mario would never hire an OC because of an elongated RPO that could drop 45 on Clemson in the same year his preferred offensive philosophy didn’t gain 100 yards against that same Clemson team. If he’s that stuck in his ways we’ve got no shot.

not only did it take time, the offense regressed with him for the first two years and didn't even match the ppg from the previous OC until year 3

I suspect if he didn't have 2 straight nfl qb's this dude would be looking for a job
... or he can claim he turned two different 3* jags into NFL qb's.

Again....I was in Ft Myers getting a Throttle and Brake cable fixed on my WaveRunner....left phone at home....Don't like it??...means absolutely nothing to me.
6382732F-829A-45FD-96AC-39575042C9EF.gif

Advertisement
I don't like the lack of consensus on Ruggiero.

I know we'll never have everybody agree but there's some smart guys on here that wouldn't be crazy about him.
He's an excellent coach and very experienced. The question is if he is married to the slow mesh and how versatile he is in terms of adjusting to personnel. His slow mesh system is fairly complex and requires great execution as has been said. Does his style suit the type of QBs we have? Realistically, does Mario have the luxury of waiting a couple of seasons for the offense to fully gel?

I personally love Ruggiero as an OC but I don't think he would be the right fit right now. What we need is an OC who is versatile and runs an uptempo offense that takes the easy yards that are so readily available at this level and emphasizes getting the ball to playmakers in space. We need an OC that can come in, look over the talent on offense then tailor an approach/system best suited for that talent to score points, more points then more points. Then after that is established then score even more points. I appreciate Mario looking at things in terms of long range planning and he does have a long term plan in place but we can't afford to get into an offense that could take 2 years to build and perfect.

idk

he got hired 2014 and it took him 4 years to "figure it out"

I know the roster is bleh but he's had an nfl qb (first john wolford for his first 4 years, sam hartman for the last 5)

but they scored:

2014: 14 points per game (john wolford)
2015: 17 points per game (john wolford)
2016: 20 points per game (john wolford)
2017: 35 points per game (john wolford - crazy senior year that propelled him to the nfl)
2018: 33 points per game (sam hartman)
2019: 32 poitns per game (sam hartman)
2020: 36 poitns per game (sam hartman)
2021: 41 points per game (sam hartman)
2022: 36 points per game (sam hartman)

no doubt he's done well... but what will WF look like next year without hartman if Ruggiero stays?
Would you believe me if I told you that Emory Williams is/was rated higher than Hartman coming out of HS....

Development is/was key.

This would shock me

I'm kinda neutral to slightly positive on Ruggerio...

But they haven't ran for over 4 ypr in 4 years? Physicality is not Wake Forest at all. And all though CMC may be a little too old school in his approach. You need physicality to win.

No disrespect to anyone with real sources here...This would just be a weird match imo.

Would love us to hire Warren.

However, just my opinion, dont see it. WF had Kenneth Walker for 2 years and he never reached 600 yards. Went to MSU and put up 1600+ yards and is a beast in the NFL.

I have to imagine, Mario wants more running.

Ya I'm here too...I respect Ruggerio and Clawson a ton (it's not my preferred offense, but hard to argue with their results)...It doesn't seem to match up with Cristobal though

There are other "modern, spread-type" coaches out there who simply run a more physical offense.

Advertisement
He's an excellent coach and very experienced. The question is if he is married to the slow mesh and how versatile he is in terms of adjusting to personnel. His slow mesh system is fairly complex and requires great execution as has been said. Does his style suit the type of QBs we have? Realistically, does Mario have the luxury of waiting a couple of seasons for the offense to fully gel?

I personally love Ruggiero as an OC but I don't think he would be the right fit right now. What we need is an OC who is versatile and runs an uptempo offense that takes the easy yards that are so readily available at this level and emphasizes getting the ball to playmakers in space. We need an OC that can come in, look over the talent on offense then tailor an approach/system best suited for that talent to score points, more points then more points. Then after that is established then score even more points. I appreciate Mario looking at things in terms of long range planning and he does have a long term plan in place but we can't afford to get into an offense that could take 2 years to build and perfect.
I disagree. Even if his system is not fully functioning he will still be effective and a huge improvement. Then in worse case scenario year 2 we should be firing on all cylinders

I disagree. Even if his system is not fully functioning he will still be effective and a huge improvement. Then in worse case scenario year 2 we should be firing on all cylinders
No I think we are closer on this issue than it would seem. I may have done a poor job articulating my position. Like I said I really like Ruggiero as a coach and an OC. I just don't know how versatile he is as an OC. If he is hired I would like the addition as it would be a massive upgrade from Gattis. I'm just not sure how complex his system is or if that system would be a good fit for us right now. I do stand by my comments regarding the type of OC we need as well as Cristobal not having the luxury of trying to install something that would take too long for our players to be able to execute at a high level.

Advertisement
So, if Ruggiero in indeed hired (once Gattis is officially let go), one has to wonder how many other OCs told him no beforehand. I doubt that Ruggiero is who Mario zeroed in on once he decided to let Gattis walk.

I'd be very pleased with this hire but it's unlikely IMHO.

Maybe someone could rectify but Wake offense doesn’t put much emphasis on the running game. I remember that Kenneth Walker transferred to Michigan State for this reason.

I think it’s a non-starter with Mario, it will be the equivalent of him hiring Hal Mumme.

Cattura.JPG

Last edited:
Advertisement
But Wake's QB has been there for years. Took him time to be good in the system
Dawson approach is also very peculiar. He redshirts like no one else and therefore he has always an experienced team.

When a Wake offensive player, at least the majority of them, takes the starting role he has been in the system for years.

It took some time (and a spotless development plan) to get to this level.

Advertisement
Back