VT in a dog fight at home against liberty

It's just classic VT. Not really indicative of how they end up competing in the conference.

In 2010 they opened with losses to BSU and James Madison. They went on to win the ACC.

The flip side is 2014, when they beat eventual national champion OSU in the 2nd game. They went on to finish 6-6.

LOL. Jekyll and Hyde.

My hope is that Fuente is a paper tiger and VT goes back to being basura caliente.

Advertisement
First game, new coach, against a program with a solid coach in Turner Gill. This may be a struggle for three quarters, but the Hokies should be able to pull away late.

Ok, I have to ask....what evidence do you have Turner Gill is a solid coach?

What he did at Buffalo, he built that program from nothing to a bowl team. His tenure at KU was a greasefire, but outside of Glen Mason and Mark Mangino, EVERY coach's tenure at KU over the last 30+ years has been awful. Frankly, he should have stayed at Buffalo, and kept building, with the hope of getting a better job. You don't take a crappy Power 5 job as your first major job, that's how you end up ******** yourself long term.

So if someone took, say, Temple from nothing to a bowl team, that guy would be a solid coach?

FYI, Turner Gill was 20-30 at Buffalo, including 5-7 in his fourth year.

Turner Gill also built that program from nothing, so of course his record would be awful. Al Golden, despite his failures at Miami, did a good job at Temple, and as a result could be looked at as a decent coach(That couldn't replicate his success at a superior program). That doesn't change the fact that he was unable to get the job done at Miami(We can talk about the why all day, but the end result is the same), but a lot of midmajor coaches fail when they try to make that next step. Steve Kragthorpe was dynamite at Tulsa, he failed miserably at Louisville, same with a ton of other coaches. Every midmajor guy isn't the next Urban Meyer.

The point I was making was that Turner Gill isn't going to be afraid of Tech, he's coached at the FBS level, and he has a team that is talented enough to at least put up a fight. Is Turner a guy I would take as a FBS AD? No, but he should be competitive at the FCS level.

Advertisement
Who wanted Fuente? Don't remember there being too much chatter on here about him.

My biggest concern was us hiring Mario. I'd have taken any of the names floating around at the time over him, including Fuente.

Fuente was so overrated. That's a program that is in full rebuild. Inexcusable if we lose to them.

He's overrated based on 1.5 quarters of football in Week 1? If the 'Canes aren't up by 50 by halftime today, is Richt garbage? Stupid people make snap judgments, intelligent people look at the entire body of work. Let's give him the season, and grade accordingly.

I kind of agree. Not sold on Fuente but why judge him on the 1st half of the 1st game of his tenure? Larger sample size please.

Not saying he'll be a bad coach. I'm saying he was overrated. Those aren't inconsistent arguments. People were speaking of Fuente and Herman as though those two coaches were interchangeable. Herman was OC under Meyer and did more with less at Houston, including beating FSU handily. Fuente did some good things at Memphis. Never really won a big game unless you count Ole Miss. I'm sure he's an upgrade vs. an aging Beamer. But he's not the next Nick Saban.

First game, new coach, against a program with a solid coach in Turner Gill. This may be a struggle for three quarters, but the Hokies should be able to pull away late.

I like Turner Gill. We won that first NC against him and I am still spending Conrhusker $$$ from that game. Fond memories. Back then NE fans were very nice too.

Advertisement
I often wonder if some of you fuggin people even watch football. you do know the game consists of four 15 minute time periods called quarters?

Liberty was lucky early, kind of like App State was lucky for 4 quarters. Luck runs out, usually, and Libery's ran out half way through the second quarter. VT was simply making mistakes and it kept Liberty around. They are looking like a real team now.

Liberty was lucky early, kind of like App State was lucky for 4 quarters. Luck runs out, usually, and Libery's ran out half way through the second quarter. VT was simply making mistakes and it kept Liberty around. They are looking like a real team now.

It's still Liberty. No excuse they left them in the game that long. Remember FAU last year? I did not feel like we were a "real team" after that win.

Advertisement
Fuente was so overrated. That's a program that is in full rebuild. Inexcusable if we lose to them.

He's overrated based on 1.5 quarters of football in Week 1? If the 'Canes aren't up by 50 by halftime today, is Richt garbage? Stupid people make snap judgments, intelligent people look at the entire body of work. Let's give him the season, and grade accordingly.

I kind of agree. Not sold on Fuente but why judge him on the 1st half of the 1st game of his tenure? Larger sample size please.

Not saying he'll be a bad coach. I'm saying he was overrated. Those aren't inconsistent arguments. People were speaking of Fuente and Herman as though those two coaches were interchangeable. Herman was OC under Meyer and did more with less at Houston, including beating FSU handily. Fuente did some good things at Memphis. Never really won a big game unless you count Ole Miss. I'm sure he's an upgrade vs. an aging Beamer. But he's not the next Nick Saban.

Hes overrated based on his track record at memphis with a legit cfb qb.....my opinion is i was hapoy they hired him he cant croot and thats the number one thing u have to be able to do. Houstons coach can croot by his first class alone.....herman is going to be a thorn in eveyones side soon

Hes overrated based on his track record at memphis with a legit cfb qb.....my opinion is i was hapoy they hired him he cant croot and thats the number one thing u have to be able to do. Houstons coach can croot by his first class alone.....herman is going to be a thorn in eveyones side soon

Absolutely!!!

Advertisement

It's still Liberty. No excuse they left them in the game that long. Remember FAU last year? I did not feel like we were a "real team" after that win.

What about our game at Rutgers in 2002? We were trailing after 3. Were we not a real team? Heck, the 1992 Alabama team could have lost several close games. Were they not a real team? Good teams often have slow starts to games. I'm not saying VT will be really good, but I'm not going to pretend they looked like UT against App State. VT woke up and pulled away.

i feel like this happens every year to VT.
They have a tendency of playing down to their competition. I think they lost to JMU in the same season they beat us (recently). Plus most teams don't look great in week 1. That's why it's common to schedule a cupcake.

Advertisement
Back