USC Trojans

image.webp
image.webp
image.webp

image.webp
image.webp

Advertisement
A sobering statistic:

Miami has only beaten a higher seed ONCE in program history. That was back in 2000 when we were a 6 seed and defeated 3 seed Ohio State. Let's hope we have some tourney magic in store and can finally upset some higher seeds this weekend.

I’m surprised of the lack of talk on this game. I’m concerned that USC is one of the biggest teams in the country and how they supposedly are very good at interior D. Also good with their interior offense which is clearly an issue of ours.

Really hope we can force turnovers which can lead to some easy points. Also need to hit shots early in order to open up the interior more so kam, Moore, and Wong can eat. Wong has been struggling but he did hit all four free throws late against Duke and hopefully that can get him some momentum and he gets hot.

A sobering statistic:

Miami has only beaten a higher seed ONCE in program history. That was back in 2000 when we were a 6 seed and defeated 3 seed Ohio State. Let's hope we have some tourney magic in store and can finally upset some higher seeds this weekend.
Yeah, I remember that NCAAT. We won two games, then lost to Bill Self's last Tulsa team (he got the Illinois job on the heels of Tulsa's deep Tourney run).

IIRC, Johnny Hemsley had a nice Tourney for us (a Baltimore kid, so we were recruiting the DMV long before L came on the scene). A smooth 6'5 Guard, he paired up nicely with Tim James.

That was a VERY good squad Coach Ham put together with Hemsley at SG, James underneath, Mario Bland playing in the High Post, Elton Tyler and John Salmons on the Wings, and Vernon Jennings at PG. Maybe our most talented team ever! James Jones and Leroy Hurd were quality Freshmen depth that season.

Advertisement
We should have made the Final Four that year. We also should have beaten the higher seed in 1998. We were the 11 and we lost to the 6, UCLA by 3. I think we were up a couple with a minute or so left and let it slip away. In 2013 we had a nice path to the Final Four, but Reggie got hurt, and Shane got sick. In 2016 we ran into the national champs and they hit every shot they took. I was at the game. It was close for a half, and they literally did not miss a shot. It was amazing. In 2018, we didn't have Bruce Brown, and lost to Loyola on a buzzer beater. Again, the road to the Final Four (which Loyola made) was wide open.

For those not familiar, here are our all-time results

1960: L Western KY 107-84
1998 (11 seed): L (6) UCLA 65-62
1999 (2 seed): W (15) Lafayette 75-54; L (10) Purdue 73-63
2000 (6 seed): W (11) Arkansas 75-71; W (3) Ohio State 75-62; L (7) Tulsa 80-71
2002 (5 seed): L (12) Missouri 93-80
2008 (7 seed): W (10) St. Mary's 78-64; L (2) Texas 75-72
2013 (2 seed): W (15) Pacific 78-49; W (7) Illinois 63-59; L (3) Marquette 71-61
2016 (3 seed): W (14) Buffalo 79-72; W (11) Wichita State 65-57; L (2) Villanova 69-92
2017 (8 seed): L (9) Michigan State 78-58
2018 (6 seed): L (11) Loyola-Chicago 64-62

We should have made the Final Four that year. We also should have beaten the higher seed in 1998. We were the 11 and we lost to the 6, UCLA by 3. I think we were up a couple with a minute or so left and let it slip away. In 2013 we had a nice path to the Final Four, but Reggie got hurt, and Shane got sick. In 2016 we ran into the national champs and they hit every shot they took. I was at the game. It was close for a half, and they literally did not miss a shot. It was amazing. In 2018, we didn't have Bruce Brown, and lost to Loyola on a buzzer beater. Again, the road to the Final Four (which Loyola made) was wide open.

2013 (2 seed): W (15) Pacific 78-49; W (7) Illinois 63-59; L (3) Marquette 71-61
2016 (3 seed): W (14) Buffalo 79-72; W (11) Wichita State 65-57; L (2) Villanova 69-92
Yeah, in that UCLA loss in 1998, Vernon Jennings went 0-8 from the field. Given we only lost by 3 .... that was a killer. Jennings wasn't much of a shooter. They musta left him open for that reason and he obliged. He normally wouldn't take anywhere near 8 shots. Mario Bland and Tim James came up big for us.

As your chart shows, we were the #2 seed in the East in 1999. Purdue beat us by 10 in the Round of 32. They shot the lights out, we shot horribly. They were operating inside effectively, we were missing from the outside.

Sorta like the disappointing loss we had vs Marquette in 2013 (except Marquette shot well both inside and from 3 pt range). The scouting report said Marquette could not shoot from the perimeter; they proved that wrong. The scouting report on us said we were very good from the perimeter; well, we weren't that night.

Advertisement

That 2008 three point loss to Texas in round 2. I remember watching that comeback. I think Asbury knocked down a couple 3s and Jack mcclinton had a nice run but in the end it fell just short. That loss hurt. Like the loyola buzzer beater. Losing that way is the worst. The 2013 team was the best squad we ever had and it is close. A few yrs later another great team happened. Both years I had high hopes but they were crushed in the sweet 16. I'd like to just once make it past that point! Is this the year? It'd be highly unlikely but why not!?

Of our starting five, one guy per game is allowed to "disappear" or have an "off night." The other four have to be "on" to give us a legit shot.

I understand why they didn't get a chance at more playing time (all our games were key to making the NCAAT, and almost all were close) but wish now that somehow Joseph and Wooga woulda seen more action. Walker is really our only reserve you can play with any confidence. Puts so much pressure on our Iron Men to stay out of foul trouble, avoid injury, etc.
I wish Joseph could finish a layup ;)

I've always wondered how good the 2002 team could have been if we had someone not named Perry Clark as coach. Two longtime NBA players in James Jones and John Salmons, plus Darius Rice.

Advertisement
How is this thread dead ahead of the biggest game for the program in 4 years? Is there still that little interest in Canes basketball? Would people on this site still rather discuss our 3rd string Linebacker depth? Come on.

How is this thread dead ahead of the biggest game for the program in 4 years? Is there still that little interest in Canes basketball? Would people on this site still rather discuss our 3rd string Linebacker depth? Come on.
Not sure how much there is to say. A VERY big team against our four Guards + Sam squad. I like our chances alot if we hit our perimeter shots like we did up in Brooklyn. If we don't, might be a replay of the Marquette NCAAT loss back when.

Would also hope we can get off to a fast start. Too many times, the opposite happens and we have to claw our way back into a tight game at the end.

Advertisement
Not sure how much there is to say. A VERY big team against our four Guards + Sam squad. I like our chances alot if we hit our perimeter shots like we did up in Brooklyn. If we don't, might be a replay of the Marquette NCAAT loss back when.

Would also hope we can get off to a fast start. Too many times, the opposite happens and we have to claw our way back into a tight game at the end.
We need to speed up the tempo and force USC into turnovers. If it becomes purely a halfcourt game, we are in trouble.

I agree! Someone post more pictures of USC coach’s wife!

Since F$U isn’t playing, can we borrow their 7’ center?
I’m asking for a friend.
*It’s going to rest on our Defense imo

Advertisement
Back