UNF 11/25 at 4:00PM (Maybe on WatchESPN)

Coach L was in rare form today during the post-game press conference. Compared Lykes to Tom Cruise and Bruce to Clark Kent.

[video=youtube;yemwMAB_JJU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yemwMAB_JJU[/video]

[video=youtube;SDeZZLJsJtU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDeZZLJsJtU[/video]

[video=youtube;CLOIwhR9zhU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLOIwhR9zhU[/video]

Advertisement
Watched it on my DVR. Newton is the same guy we've seen here the last three years. Thankfully we can use DJ and Lykes to "spell" him. Lykes is a handful on defense and he's not afraid to shoot. Liked what I saw but I wonder how he does against a Trevon Duval or Joel Berry. DJ didn't show much today so he needs to step up as the season progresses. Coach L trusts him because he was on the floor most of the first half and was the only player who stayed on when the second team came on.

Bruce Brown is frustrating. He is hella athletic with hops as good as any in college ball. Newton tried three or four lobs for him even when there wasn't really space for the lob. But, he still can't shoot and he's not a great finisher. Lonnie Walker looks lost out there. Maybe the ankle or knee is still bothering him. So far, he's been just another guy. Dewan Huell is much improved on offense, but will he be able to stand up against premier bigs??? This may be the difference this year. Sam Waardenburg was a surprise, scoring around double digits, but he often looks awkward and weak out there. Amp Lawrence did nothing. He and Izundu haven't really done much this year and that's surprising.

This team plays good defense most of the time, but they also allow a few head-scratchingly easy buckets (layups, wide open threes). But, there are times they look like they did a few years ago when the team was really long and all arms. They aren't as long, but they get their hands on a lot of passes. On offense they lack spacing when DJ isn't shooting well. That and rebounding will be challenges. This is a Sweet 16 capable team.

Amp is averaging 9 and 6. That's about what I expected of him on this team Izundu is averaging 7 and 6 in 17 minutes. If he can give us that for the season, I'm fine.

Our "trademarks" have always been good 3 pt shooting, good FT shooting, and defense. Not particularly liking any of the three so far.

On Lonnie, the silver lining may be that he's NOT a "one and done" guy.

Lykes is fun, and good! Be interesting to see how he holds up defensively against ACC guards. One thing for sure, he's gonna get his share of steals.

Right now, the team isn't playing much "team" basketball. Problem is there's only one ball on the court.

Our "trademarks" have always been good 3 pt shooting, good FT shooting, and defense. Not particularly liking any of the three so far.

Lykes is fun, and good! Be interesting to see how he holds up defensively against ACC guards. One thing for sure, he's gonna get his share of steals.

Right now, the team isn't playing much "team" basketball. Problem is there's only one ball on the court.

What is wrong with our D? Yesterday was the first game we gave up more then 60.

Advertisement
Amp is averaging 9 and 6. That's about what I expected of him on this team Izundu is averaging 7 and 6 in 17 minutes. If he can give us that for the season, I'm fine.

I will take both of the above this year.

These stats are meaningless. We haven't played anybody yet. Minnesota will give us a good sense of where we stand. Perhaps we should play only 3 guys at a time....

I expected Izundu to make more of a leap. It would be helpful if he can hold his own against most ACC bigs with rim protection and rebounding, thereby freeing up Huell to play more of his natural position. I was a bit harsh in my comments about Amp and Izundu and should have limited them to the UNF game.

These stats are meaningless. We haven't played anybody yet. Minnesota will give us a good sense of where we stand. Perhaps we should play only 3 guys at a time....

What is wrong with our D? Yesterday was the first game we gave up more then 60.

Take the quality of our opposition into account when you look at those defensive stats so far.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back