UNC sanctions: One bowl ban, 15 schollies, Blake show cause

Interesting to see where the NCAA goes with our investigation. It's been a year and no sniff of a NOA.

Advertisement
If we lose 5 a year over three years I think the NCAA will be hard-pressed to get another university to cooperate with them in the future. At some point UM needs to be thrown a bone for offering full cooperation.

This is an interesting point that hopefully rings true. Thinking outside the box a little bit.

I don't buy it. The university SHOULD be cooperating. It not something to be rewarded.

If we lose 5 a year over three years I think the NCAA will be hard-pressed to get another university to cooperate with them in the future. At some point UM needs to be thrown a bone for offering full cooperation.

This is an interesting point that hopefully rings true. Thinking outside the box a little bit.
i dont think so

considering that ours involves 2 sports at multiple coaches.

i dont think so

If the UNC and OSU cases are any indication, the coaches who committed the violations will suffer the stiffest penalties.

UM's issues may have involved two sports, but there were no academic infractions (like UNC) and the dollar amount involved--at least that which is known about and proven so far--is less than what players at UC received.

Plus all the things 305 already said.

Advertisement
It seems like the NCAA would also have to take into account that Shapiro is a criminal who was actively trying to entrap kids with plans to expose them in the future. This wasn't just the usual rogue booster gone wild. He was being malicious.

It seems like the NCAA would also have to take into account that Shapiro is a criminal who was actively trying to entrap kids with plans to expose them in the future. This wasn't just the usual rogue booster gone wild. He was being malicious.

But this line of thought would expect the NCAA to work with common sense, that likely won't happen.

i dont think so

If the UNC and OSU cases are any indication, the coaches who committed the violations will suffer the stiffest penalties.

UM's issues may have involved two sports, but there were no academic infractions (like UNC) and the dollar amount involved--at least that which is known about and proven so far--is less than what players at UC received.

Plus all the things 305 already said.

I keep hearing this, but how much does the NCAA care about that? I get the feeling that this isn't a 'your players got x amount vs their players that got y amount', but rather a combination of dollars and numbers. I would argue that it's a lot easier to give a couple of players a lot of benefits without anyone knowing than it is to give lots of players lesser benefits w/o someone on the team/school knowing about it.

Also, what I think a lot of people seem to be forgetting is that we gave illegal benefits to recruits. The NCAA has to look at that in a more negative light as not only are the players getting improper benefits, but those benefits are potentially affecting you getting kids that you are competing for against other schools. This is much worse in my opinion than giving improper benefits to kids already on the team.

The academic thing is bad, but I believe it was only one person from UNC providing that benefit and she continued to do it after she left the school. Now if coaches/admins were directing players to her, that is a completely different story, but I dont think that was the case. We had several coaches directing players to Shapiro.

*All my comments are on what seems to be the general consensus at the moment of what likely did happen (ex: several coaches took kids to Shapiro). If this are proven not to be true, or if they cant be proven, then obviously several of my comments would change.

But this line of thought would expect the NCAA to work with common sense, that likely won't happen.

Having coaches take recruits and players to Shapiro is the real problem. Especially damning will be the testimony of the players who ended up at other schools and were offered amnesty.

Advertisement

Having coaches take recruits and players to Shapiro is the real problem. Especially damning will be the testimony of the players who ended up at other schools and were offered amnesty.
exactly

^ This. I've said all along that the connection to Hurtt is my biggest concern.

^ This. I've said all along that the connection to Hurtt is my biggest concern.
this stuff with the bball coaches is going to result in stiffer sanctions because of LOIC

Advertisement
Back