@UNC Noon ESPN2

Advertisement
Advertisement
It is bad enough Coach L did not use all of his scholarships and now he has made it worse on the team by underplaying the freshman and overplaying Lykes and McGusty.
I still support Canes Hoops to the fullest but Coach L is digging himself into a very big hole.

Advertisement
Just watched the replay.

Hopefully this game will provide some confidence for Walker and especially Wong.

Other than that, no need to state the obvious

Advertisement
Obviously he is hurt but Coach L is making it worse by playing Sam 25 plus minutes for 2 points and 2 rebounds.
Is he hurt? I hadn't heard that? He's not hard to defend so ... I'm not surprised at his lack of production, even if totally healthy.

Is he hurt? I hadn't heard that? He's not hard to defend so ... I'm not surprised at his lack of production, even if totally healthy.

He is dealing with tendinitis in his right knee. I agree, I thought he had turned the page but his stat line says differently.

Advertisement

Lykes and McGusty were hurt a week ago against Florida State then Coach L plays both close to 30 minutes in a blowout loss to Duke. Today, Coach L decides to rest them as neither could practice all week.
The six scholarship players played 3 on 3 as part of the preparation for the Carolina game.
If Coach L does not add two freshman bigs to have 13 scholarship players for next season then he will never learn the saying, it is better to have and not need then to need and not have.
C'mon Coach L, stop being stubborn and use all of your scholarships. This has severely tarnished your tenure at Miami.
I am still supporting Coach L even though he is making it difficult.

Anyone think that maybe the reason L didn't fill the roster was because he couldn't find any players worthy of ACC-level scholly who were open to buying his recruiting pitch and signing here?

Anyone think that maybe the reason L didn't fill the roster was because he couldn't find any players worthy of ACC-level scholly who were open to buying his recruiting pitch and signing here?

We currently have player(s) on the roster who may not be ACC-Level caliber. We've had players on the roster that were not ACC-Level caliber too.

As for your post above, how many years does this go back? Why didn't we take more transfers (grad and regular)? Assuming the kids are not cancers, why not bring in more kids to compete? Why not bring in more local kids? If you take a grad transfer, coming off a serious injury (e.g. Stone) and you already have a big man coming off a serious injury (e.g. Gak), shouldn't you hedge your bet?

Below are the numbers for the last 5 seasons (in terms of scholarships being used). The first number represents the "active" scholarships being used (those eligible to play). The second number represents the total scholarships being used.

(Active/Total Ships Used)

2019-20: 10/11 (Brooks is sitting out)
2018-19: 9/11 (McGusty is sitting out and Miller redshirted)
2017-18: 10/12 (Wilson sat out and Gak redshirted)
2016-17: 9/11* (Gilmore sat out but was kicked out of school during the season)
2015-16: 10/11 (Muhammad sat out)

*Waardenburg sat out 2016-17 but arrived late. He is included in the numbers even though he sat and redshirted.

Average Active Scholarships/Season: 9.6
Average Total Scholarships/Season: 11.2

On average, we go into the season having less than 10 players able to play. So before any potential injuries, players transferring out or being thrown out of school, we go into the season with less than 10 players being able to play. Please note that all of these players aren't typically ACC-Level Caliber, if that was the case, things would be very different.

Forget about using all 13 scholarships; the thing that I don't understand is why aren't we able to use more scholarships. Over the last 5 years, we've only used 12 total scholarships once. We essentially self-impose a scholarship reduction of 2 scholarships each season.

I also understand that an ACC team may only have ___________ (insert a random number here) players in a rotation. UVA may have X, Duke may have Y and NCST may have Z. Everyone is different and the quality of the talent/rotation differs greatly per school. The players NOT in the rotation may be (a) depth (not relied on for serious burn) or (b) players sitting out/redshirtting. These players may simply be getting better, working on their skills or developing for the future. So when you handicap yourself for numerous years, these players aren't ready for the future. In fact, they don't exist.

With some rare exceptions (natural talents like Lonnie) the development of players into veteran capable ACC performers hasn't exactly happened with any regularity. If I were a "promising" recruit (or their parent or advisor) I don't think I would look to Miami currently as a place to grow and blossom (learn about and execute great team and individual skills.)

Another reason why "you-know-what" might be a positive change. Cynical yes, but this "crapshow", excuses and all notwithstanding, is getting old.

Advertisement
Back