UGA Jamie Newman likely opting out of season.

More of a Roche situation, where he needed to up the competition level to move into the early rounds.
More or less. Roche was still projected to go in the first two rounds or so. Newman might not get drafted

Advertisement
Kinda makes you wonder if he lost the job
No.

Newman is a possible first round draft pick. He could slide to round 2 with a deep QB draft. He is a talent, and no way did Daniels beat him out. Daniels wasn't even cleared until very recently. All reports were Newman looked really good in camp.

There is a 7 or 8 billion percent chance Newman will be drafted. Come on. It's the NFL....if you have anything resembling a pulse and you're a QB, you get a shot.
He’s a late rounder then. He’s not very good. But you’re right. He’s not a high round pick at all though.

Advertisement
He’s a late rounder then. He’s not very good. But you’re right. He’s not a high round pick at all though.

I don't think he's very good either but I've seen several lists over the past year or so that have him as a Top 50 prospect. He won't get out of the 3rd round. He'll test very well, the Vandy/intelligence thing will be played up and he's got some moldable skills. IMO he's a Day 2 pick. AKA he's a multi-millionaire in April.

I thought the job was his to lose.
Mathis was playing pretty good with the 2s and Daniels is gonna get cleared real soon. His job was far from secure.
There’s probably an agent in his ear saying he’s better opting out to the NFL now than to take a chance to lose the starting job.

Advertisement
Don't put it past Kirby to have told both Newman & Daniels separately & privately that they would start, I'm not just gonna automatically assume that Newman just left because he lost it fair & square... There's nothing fair about Kibry Smart.
Oh he was already slimy for bringing in Daniels and getting him eligible immediately after getting Newman anyways. Smart will be the downfall of that program. He's slimy as ****.

Advertisement
Oh he was already slimy for bringing in Daniels and getting him eligible immediately after getting Newman anyways. Smart will be the downfall of that program. He's slimy as ****.
Idk in my memory slimy people usually end up winning national championships.

I don't think he's very good either but I've seen several lists over the past year or so that have him as a Top 50 prospect. He won't get out of the 3rd round. He'll test very well, the Vandy/intelligence thing will be played up and he's got some moldable skills. IMO he's a Day 2 pick. AKA he's a multi-millionaire in April.
Wake Forest.

And I think he'll get drafted between the 3rd - 5th round.

His completion % & passer rating dropped significantly when Sage Surratt was off the field, that'll show up on tape for scouts.

Advertisement
Wasn't he draft eligible this year? Wasn't the whole purpose of going to GA was to add more film on his resume? Doesn't make sense.

D1BDF049-3917-40C6-A407-421BBE7CF573.png

Jamie Newman's numbers were pretty absurd when he was playing with Sage Surratt on the field. One of the nation's best passers, good. Without Surratt, he was way below average.

With that said...Kirby Smart's evaluations and management of QBs leaves a lot to be desired and even if Newman "lost the job" I wouldn't put much on it.

Advertisement
Back