UF IN A BETTER SPOT THAN FSU

UF now -4.5 at Mississippi State after starting at -6 despite the overmatched Bulldogs looking like the worst team in a Power 4 conference

Sad Please Please Please GIF by myHQ

Advertisement
I agree that they are just because they’ll have a new coach. Who knows what’s behind door number 2? I’d take that over Norvell without a ton of underclassmen talent and a really bad overall vibe, which is what’s behind door #1. New regime sets the timeline back but injects hope and in the portal era things can theoretically be a little more turnkey. Wouldn’t shock me if the Gators were on radically improved long term footing in a year. I don’t suspect that to be the case for the Noles.

I think Lane would take the job though tbh

Kiffin owes the Ole Miss boosters 4 million if he leaves (which he's not paying out of pocket). Gators would owe Billy 26 million. You really think they can come up with 30 million to fire Billy and hire Kiffin, then pay Kiffin a salary of $11-12 million a year, which he's almost certainly going to require be all guaranteed? No way Billy gets guaranteed money and Kiffin doesn't. UF is a complete tear down, Kiffin would have to rebuild through the portal if he plans on a quick turnaround, yet UF is currently bouncing checks to recruits. I think Kiffin would take the job but it's not financially realistic. Al Golden should be their main target.

Kiffin owes the Ole Miss boosters 4 million if he leaves (which he's not paying out of pocket). Gators would owe Billy 26 million. You really think they can come up with 30 million to fire Billy and hire Kiffin, then pay Kiffin a salary of $11-12 million a year, which he's almost certainly going to require be all guaranteed? No way Billy gets guaranteed money and Kiffin doesn't. UF is a complete tear down, Kiffin would have to rebuild through the portal if he plans on a quick turnaround, yet UF is currently bouncing checks to recruits. I think Kiffin would take the job but it's not financially realistic. Al Golden should be their main target.

You Win Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Advertisement
Throw in having to recruit against Miami and three other decent programs in the state alone...

If UCF and (soon enough) USF get it rolling in the Big XII, it'll be much more of a problem for the Gators and Noles than us.

Miami-Dade is sizeable edge as far as national recruiting goes in comparison to Tallahassee and Gainesville

Not saying you mi amigo, but it seems like a lot of UM fans seem to think UF is a better job than it really is.

Gators won their NT's with elite coaches in Spurrier and Meyer — not with some random caretaker like Auburn did with Gene Chizik or LSU with Coach O.

They've repeatedly whiffed on their top choices.

Not sure why any non-UF homers are confident they'll get Kiffin.

Stating this as a lifelong anti-UF diehard, but it seems more likely the administration will mangle this next hire just as it did with the Sharkhumper, Mullen and Hillbilly
More speaking as if in a vacuum. I don’t think UF nails their hire. I just don’t see an entrenched P4 coach wanting to take on a rebuilding job of this magnitude. The silver lining for UF is they could do that. FSU is in bed with Norvell for at least another season or two. Plus FSU will have a harder time recruiting the HS rank if they do go 4-8 or 3-9 this year. UF hiring a new coach could build some sort of bump in recruiting. Both are horrendous spots. But one has to be less awful than the other. I just think it’s UF. Again less awful is 7-5, 8-4. Not necessarily 16-0 seasons.

Advertisement
I really believe, not just wishful thinking, that it's hard sell to any coach with solid experience and a clean "record".
The pressure to win will be/is massive, to say the least. Throw in having to recruit against Miami and three other decent programs in the state alone...
FSU and UF are about to see what we had to deal with from 2006-2020. Eventually local kids won’t buy the local propaganda, they’ll go elsewhere.

Advertisement
Back