Top 5 Canes past 5 years

Advertisement
First,

1. Spence
2. McCarthy
3. Coop
4. KP
5. J12

Second, When did this board start to become the *****fest that was the grassy football board? God****.

Advertisement
Lamar Miller not in some top 5s? lol

Overall

1 - Lamar Miller - He is the best playmaker we've had since Devin Hester. He had the ability to score from any part of the field at anytime. Had a productive redshirt freshmen season and followed it up with a great season becoming the first cane to rush for over 1000 yards in many seasons. Due to his talents and productivity at UM, he will likely be a top 2 round pick in the NFL Draft. (Some Lamar Miller haters are going to see just how "overrated" he is next season when we have Mike James and Eduardo Clements rushing for 3 and 4 yard bursts throughtout a game. Duke Johnson will not be Lamar Miller next season, but he can eventually become just as big a weapon.

2 - Sean Spence - One of my favorite canes of all time. Had 3 good seasons at UM. His sophmore campaign was hampered by injury. Always played hard. Always showed up. He continuously made big tackles for loss and was solid against the run and pass. Who could forget that big interception return against FSU his true freshmen season? He was a true cane at heart and a very good player. Should go before round 4 in the NFL draft. I think DP is quickly becoming a player similar to Spence. He's just a gamer.

3 - Brandon Harris - Had 3 good seasons at UM. Was thrown in the fire as a true freshmen and held his own. Followed that up with two good seasons in which he consistently shut down the opposing teams best WR. The main reason our pass defense was ranked very high most seasons during the Shannon era was due to this man. Played hard consistently and put in the work. Shannon hampered his development. With another season at UM and better coaches he could have been one of the cane greats. Turned himself into a 2nd round pick.

4 - Leonard Hankerson - Oh boy who remembers how frustrating it was to watch Hankerson his first two seasons at UM? This guy would drop everything. Started putting in serious work with Mark Duper and it worked out pretty well for him lol. Surprised everyone as he became our go to receiver his junior season. Made big catches all season and reduced his drops dramatically. Fact is defenses had to account for him as he was a weapon for our offense. Decided to come back his senior season and had an even better campaign. Broke the UM WR record for touchdown catches in a season. Think about that. More than Irvin, Andre Johnson, Lamar Thomas, Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss, etc...... Impressive. He also was a true cane. Always played hard and clearly put in the work off the field. Hankerson turned himself into a 2nd round pick.

5 - Matt Bosher - Yes I know he is a kicker. Sadly, I believe he belongs on this list. This sums up how bad and poorly managed UM was under Shannon. Bosher was a weapon for us. Rarely missed fgs. Had a strong enough leg to consistently make fgs over 40 yards. Had good placement on kickoffs and let's not forget something...he was our punter too! He was actually a very good punter as well as a kicker. Had 4 solid seasons at UM and he showed up in big games when we needed him to make big kicks. True cane. Worked hard and turned himself into an NFL player where I believe he is a punter now. Talk about versatility

Honorable Mention

- Allen Bailey (Never lived up to the hype but produced for 4 seasons and had some big games and sacks)
- Colin Mccarthy (Had a very solid career at UM. One of the few bright spots during the Shannon era. Played with a lot of energy and had some big time games. GT game a couple seasons ago comes to mind)
- Orlando Franklin (Solid but not spectacular career at UM. Was a 2 star recruit so I appreciate the hard work he clearly put in to make himself an NFL player)
- Jason Fox (Another solid player for UM. Had a lot of heart and was a pretty good player for us)

This list is based on what these players did while at UM. Jimmy Graham had a decent season at UM hence him not being on the list. Kenny Philips did not play at UM during the last 5 seasons.
Let me know what you guys think

Last edited:

Overall

1 - Lamar Miller - He is the best playmaker we've had since Devin Hester. He had the ability to score from any part of the field at anytime. Had a productive redshirt freshmen season and followed it up with a great season becoming the first cane to rush for over 1000 yards in many seasons. Due to his talents and productivity at UM, he will likely be a top 2 round pick in the NFL Draft. (Some Lamar Miller haters are going to see just how "overrated" he is next season when we have Mike James and Eduardo Clements rushing for 3 and 4 yard bursts throughtout a game. Duke Johnson will not be Lamar Miller next season, but he can eventually become just as big a weapon.

2 - Sean Spence - One of my favorite canes of all time. Had 3 good seasons at UM. His sophmore campaign was hampered by injury. Always played hard. Always showed up. He continuously made big tackles for loss and was solid against the run and pass. Who could forget that big interception return against FSU his true freshmen season? He was a true cane at heart and a very good player. Should go before round 4 in the NFL draft. I think DP is quickly becoming a player similar to Spence. He's just a gamer.

3 - Brandon Harris - Had 3 good seasons at UM. Was thrown in the fire as a true freshmen and held his own. Followed that up with two good seasons in which he consistently shut down the opposing teams best WR. The main reason our pass defense was ranked very high most seasons during the Shannon era was due to this man. Played hard consistently and put in the work. Shannon hampered his development. With another season at UM and better coaches he could have been one of the cane greats. Turned himself into a 2nd round pick.

4 - Leonard Hankerson - Oh boy who remembers how frustrating it was to watch Hankerson his first two seasons at UM? This guy would drop everything. Started putting in serious work with Mark Duper and it worked out pretty well for him lol. Surprised everyone as he became our go to receiver his junior season. Made big catches all season and reduced his drops dramatically. Fact is defenses had to account for him as he was a weapon for our offense. Decided to come back his senior season and had an even better campaign. Broke the UM WR record for touchdown catches in a season. Think about that. More than Irvin, Andre Johnson, Lamar Thomas, Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss, etc...... Impressive. He also was a true cane. Always played hard and clearly put in the work off the field. Hankerson turned himself into a 2nd round pick.

5 - Matt Bosher - Yes I know he is a kicker. Sadly, I believe he belongs on this list. This sums up how bad and poorly managed UM was under Shannon. Bosher was a weapon for us. Rarely missed fgs. Had a strong enough leg to consistently make fgs over 40 yards. Had good placement on kickoffs and let's not forget something...he was our punter too! He was actually a very good punter as well as a kicker. Had 4 solid seasons at UM and he showed up in big games when we needed him to make big kicks. True cane. Worked hard and turned himself into an NFL player where I believe he is a punter now. Talk about versatility

Honorable Mention

- Allen Bailey (Never lived up to the hype but produced for 4 seasons and had some big games and sacks)
- Colin Mccarthy (Had a very solid career at UM. One of the few bright spots during the Shannon era. Played with a lot of energy and had some big time games. GT game a couple seasons ago comes to mind)
- Orlando Franklin (Solid but not spectacular career at UM. Was a 2 star recruit so I appreciate the hard work he clearly put in to make himself an NFL player)
- Jason Fox (Another solid player for UM. Had a lot of heart and was a pretty good player for us)

This list is based on what these players did while at UM. Jimmy Graham had a decent season at UM hence him not being on the list. Kenny Philips did not play at UM during the last 5 seasons.

get your facts str8

Kenny Phillips
#21 DB'
New York Giants | Official Team Site
Height: 6-2 Weight: 217 Age: 25
Born: 11/24/1986 Miami , FL
College: Miami (Fla.)
Experience: 4th season
High School

Overall

Honorable Mention

get your facts str8

Kenny Phillips
#21 DB'
New York Giants | Official Team Site
Height: 6-2 Weight: 217 Age: 25
Born: 11/24/1986 Miami , FL
College: Miami (Fla.)
Experience: 4th season
High School

Oops my bad. Well then he definitely deserves to be on this list. Kenny Phillips was a baller. Our last 1st round pick I believe.

Advertisement

Overall

Honorable Mention

Not sure anyone is a Lamar Miller "hater". He was certainly our best option last year. He could be explosive. And maybe the stats will prove me wrong, but to me it seemed as if he disappeared after the first 4 games last year for the most part. My biggest knock on him is that he was soft. Seems to me he fell short of living up to his potential. Did he hit the home run? **** yeah he did...but in between those huge runs was a lot of dancing and not hitting the hole. I wish he ran more like Damian Berry.

As far as my top 5 canes over the last 5 years:

1. Spence
2. Bosher
3. Hankerson

****, I got nobody else to put in there.

Overall

Honorable Mention

Who has called him "overrated"? lol. Kid's soft, and a pretty **** big disappointment for us, but there is no doubt about his talent, and no doubt about his potential if he ever develops toughness and a backbone.

Advertisement
Back