Timberlake

Advertisement
Lonnie struggled, was hurt, but you could also see the talent. Even when he was struggling, he would make a play that would catch your attention. I look at Earl, and I'm not seeing that kind of top end talent. I see a guy that is desperate need of development. A 5 star guy should be able to come in and be a top end guy on form alone. Lonnie, once he got healthy was able to do that, Bruce was able to do that.

We need to admit that a lot of these scouts are straight trash and put too much stock into physical measurements and not enough on people being able to actually play basketball. College and pro ball are a lot different than playing in these AAU tournaments where no one plays d and the coaching is awful. Earl doesn't have the shot that Lonnie had, he doesn't have the handle and ability to finish that Bruce had. Frankly, he has a lot in common with Dewan in that he's an athlete that pretends to play basketball. They don't have overly high basketball IQs, they are used to being able to use their athletic ability to dominate lesser people. Athletes that can't play basketball get exposed eventually, especially in today's game.
Spot on

Michael Jordan and Tracy McGrady had pretty flat jump shots, IIRC.

Timberlake has a line drive jumper, even his FTs are line drives. You want to give yourself the best chance, not an accident that out of the hundreds of high end perimeter players to play the game, you could name only a couple of guys that found success shooting like that. Jordan was NEVER known as a high end shooter, he did his work with a beautiful midrange jumper and in the post. McGrady was much the same way, never a guy that was a top end shooter, but a rangy guy that could get to his spots whenever he wanted.

Yes, but Lonnie only really came on once Bruce Brown got hurt. That's more of a Lonnie issue than anything, he couldn't play off the ball then, and he still can't.
Two ball dominant guards trying to coexist, it just didn't work. Not an accident that Lonnie, once he became the center of the O really came on. That's his game, he's an iso guy.

Advertisement
Timberlake has a line drive jumper, even his FTs are line drives. You want to give yourself the best chance, not an accident that out of the hundreds of high end perimeter players to play the game, you could name only a couple of guys that found success shooting like that. Jordan was NEVER known as a high end shooter, he did his work with a beautiful midrange jumper and in the post. McGrady was much the same way, never a guy that was a top end shooter, but a rangy guy that could get to his spots whenever he wanted.

Exactly. ... a shot with a high arc has almost a 35% greater chance of going in compared to one with a flat arc... the physics of angle of entry into the hoop, taught at most shooting camps.

Ugly stroke is OK if the ball is going in. Not OK if it isn't. Simple as that. You don't get to be a 4 or 5 star player (whatever he was rated) at DeMatha without scoring/shooting ability. That said, would rather have had the 7 footer, ****inson from that squad.

Actually, you can as we see from him. A lot of these so called scouts at the recruiting services don't know a **** thing. They go mostly off of athleticism, completely forgetting that basketball is more than being able to jump high or be massive. They also put far too much stock in AAU tournaments, forgetting that the level of coaching is trash, and defense is rarely played, leading to it being a matchup of who can finish at the rim or bomb away from deep.

Keep in mind, Deng Gak was rated as a 4 star, same with Dequan Jones. Jones couldn't make a 15 foot jump shot consistently, but he could sure as **** dunk. Gak can't catch, has few post moves, he can't even stand in place and merely be massive at the rim. Those are just two guys that come to mind. Frankly, L needs to make sure that his staff are evaluating guys correctly, and not just pushing a guy BECAUSE they are highly rated.

I've never seen a guy shoot from in front of his nose or have as flat a shot. I don't know how you shoot consistently with his shooting style.

Great athlete. Just don't know if he's ever going to be an above average ACC talent.

In no world should he ever have been ranked as a 5 star. He can’t shoot at all, he has no handle, and his offensive basketball IQ is below average. He’s athletic, he rebounds well for a guard and most of the time he’s a decent defender. That shouldn’t equate 5 star.

Advertisement
I've never seen a guy shoot from in front of his nose or have as flat a shot. I don't know how you shoot consistently with his shooting style.

Great athlete. Just don't know if he's ever going to be an above average ACC talent.
You may be right. Never a guarantee. But, he has that DC/DeMatha pedigree and his other "finalists" were Alabama, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Providence, Seton Hall, and South Carolina.

My guess is that he will be a very solid double figure scorer and, best of all, could stay 3 or 4 years. Be interesting to know if L or his assistants are talking to Earl about that flat shot trajectory. They also oughta be talking to him about defense as he came with glowing reviews in that regard (I haven't seen it yet)!

Advertisement
Back