Thoughts on the freshmen so far?

I don’t know if he’s played enough minutes to come to that conclusion. But he’s definitely the last guy on the bench, and Watson has already jumped him. So not good signs for him.
Robinson was rated by some as our #1 recruit in the 2021 class. Evaluated by 247 as a four-star recruit and the 85th-best overall prospect in the country.

Could be a classic tweener. Also impacted by our picking up Pack. At 6'4 and 205, might not have the handle to play outside, and not big enough to compete inside. Thought in RSing him was to have him ready to contribute this season with the loss of Moore and McGusty and potential loss of Wong.

I agree there's still time for him to show his skills this season. Injuries will happen. If he doesn't though ... might be time for a mutually beneficial parting.

Advertisement
Robinson was rated by some as our #1 recruit in the 2021 class. Evaluated by 247 as a four-star recruit and the 85th-best overall prospect in the country.

Could be a classic tweener. Also impacted by our picking up Pack. At 6'4 and 205, might not have the handle to play outside, and not big enough to compete inside. Thought in RSing him was to have him ready to contribute this season with the loss of Moore and McGusty and potential loss of Wong.

I agree there's still time for him to show his skills this season. Injuries will happen. If he doesn't though ... might be time for a mutually beneficial parting.
Too early for that I think

The growth of Wooga and Bensley have shown me the difference a year can make. I'll wait until I see him next year. Besides Beverley gives us experience and depth at the 1 - 3 which is pretty much right in Clarks position range.

The Danilovich kid averaged 28ppg thought he would have had more of an impact but he's buried deep.

The growth of Wooga and Bensley have shown me the difference a year can make. I'll wait until I see him next year. Besides Beverley gives us experience and depth at the 1 - 3 which is pretty much right in Clarks position range.

The Danilovich kid averaged 28ppg thought he would have had more of an impact but he's buried deep.
With Jakai, what's a bit concerning is his Red Shirt year not leading to more of an active role. But .... players develop at different speeds.

Is Danilo a true Stretch 4? He's 6'8, 220. Possibly the next Sam W? With that HS scoring average, I'd take it he has a good outside shot in his repertoire.

With Jakai, what's a bit concerning is his Red Shirt year not leading to more of an active role. But .... players develop at different speeds.

Is Danilo a true Stretch 4? He's 6'8, 220. Possibly the next Sam W? With that HS scoring average, I'd take it he has a good outside shot in his repertoire.
From what I saw thats pretty much all he has. It may be a strength issue.

Advertisement
THat was soerta the case with Sam when he first got playing time as well. Good 3 pt stroke, not much else back then.
Took Sam 3 years to become useful. I'd like to see how he looks next year. This team is good enough and deep enough that marginal freshmen won't get much burn unless theres a blowout. I don't think he's collected even one stat.

Took Sam 3 years to become useful. I'd like to see how he looks next year. This team is good enough and deep enough that marginal freshmen won't get much burn unless theres a blowout. I don't think he's collected even one stat.
Agree. Wisconsin as a developer of HS talent is underrated. You don't average 28 ppg in the Greater Milwaukee area without some game.

Advertisement
So what's the deal with Robinson?
I think it comes down to competition, he's competing with Beverly, Joseph, and Wooga. Not mentioning, Wattson and Danilo. Plus in my opinion, out of Highschool he was a one-trick pony with potential.

he lacks the shot creation levels required for Coach L's system, and it's TBD if his shot is translated.

but the disappointing part of it all is he seems to not even be able to steal minutes of Walker.

Danilo has a lot of potential as a player but lacks physical development. Out of all our recruits, I thought he would have the best shot at early playing time.

But with the level that Wooga and Miller are playing at, and with the need for more mature physicals to play that 3/4 hybrid in L's system now, with the amount, is asked of at that position on offense, defense, and in transition.

I still have hope cause out of all our recruits he is the most talented natural scorer who showed he is an efficient three-level scorer, who can post up and pass.

I thought this was funny from Coach L on Aire. Pretty blunt.

"When your bench plays well, it normally means you’re going to have a good game. This afternoon, our bench outscored the opponent 30-15. Thirty points off of our bench is definitely a season high and might be the highest bench point total for quite some time.”

The lopsided score gave Larranaga a chance to give his freshmen significant minutes.

“I thought AJ Casey did a terrific job,” the coach said. “I think Favour [Aire] saw what we see in practice where he fouls a lot. He had four fouls in about seven minutes of playing time. I thought Christian Watson did a nice job and made a three-pointer, made a good pass for a layup, played some good defense and got a terrific traffic rebound.”

Advertisement
Back