Tales from Hogtown - Fear & Loathing in Alachua County

TheOriginalCane

So say good night to the bad guy!
Premium
I thought I would take this space to tell a few stories from the wonderful weekend in Hogtown...and please feel free to share your own stories...

And y'all probably know the extent to which I have stolen the use of the ellipsis (...) from Hunter S. Thompson...that and the Pyramid Lead and the Symbiotic Trapezoid Quote...so let's talk about the Death of the Gator Dream, shall we...

Even though UM only gave me 2 of my 6 requested tickets (and they were next to the UM tunnel, but I needed AT LEAST four), I found myself perusing TicketBastard for four together...which I found at great cost, though my sale of the tunnel pair offset my pain and suffering...

But it was not until I arrived (LATE!) at the game that I realized I had hit the jackpot. First, a bit about THAT. Apparently, the deep-pockets UiF Athletic Department had installed new "self-checkout scanners" for the students to use on the east side of the stadium. Unfortunately, the contracted with the same guy who set up the Taylor Swift presale website, and the system crashed. So as we saw swarms of hot, sweaty (and HOT) coeds coming OUT of the line, we realized that we needed a backup plan, so we switched over to the northeast corner gate.

So after a long and disorganized process that was only slightly less painful than having general admission tickets to see The Who at Riverfront Coliseum, we finally burst inside of the swampiest swamp of The Swamp, much like Ace Venture got out of the mechanical rhino, or the Snoats brothers escaped from jail. And nearly immediately, I almost collided with the thick, ropy calf muscles of 7'22" Gator center Olivier Rioux.

After getting past the giant, we got to our gate. Now, one of the lesser known facts about The Swamp-*** is that even if you THINK you have come in on the ground level, OH NO, the stadium is even deeper. So if you are in the lower 35-40 rows, you are now going to DESCEND. I like to think it is because the stadium sank into the muck, but who knows. Also, Stonewall Jackson is no longer disclosing his architectural secrets. The takeaway is that everyone who walks into the stadium gets disoriented and has no idea where to go, until some slow-moving part-time Hogtown resident (who has a full-time job at the DMV) can stare at your phone for 7-19 minutes before telling you where your seats are.

So we reintroduced ourselves to bright sunlight shortly after Miami went up 7-0. So I led the way, ahead of my brother, sister-in-law, and niece. I found the row number (hand painted on the cement nearly 100 years ago) and moved our seats. Unfortunately, some people from the wrong row were there, but they quickly left.

Another little-known feature of The Swamp-*** is that the stadium has two numbered sections immediately next to each other, with the seat numbers on the recycled aluminum benches going from 1-30 before suddenly starting over again at 1. So we had Seats 27-30, and the next seat over was Seat #1. We were between the 35 and 40, in the 25th row.

And there's this tall white dude in the next seat over who, even though he sees the other people LEAVE my seats, has decided to appoint himself the Interim Ticket Checker. Out of nowhere, without me saying anything, he demands to see my tickets. So I told him "no" and proceeded to set up in MY seats (knowing full well that the seat numbers were also painted on the seats nearly 100 years ago). But I know my way around The Swamp-***, and I proceeded to evaluate this guy in much the same way that Ferris Bueller evaluated the French Maitre'D.

Now, it's midway through the first quarter. I start looking around, and to my EVERLASTING DELIGHT, I realize that my seats are RIGHT NEXT TO the parents of the Gator players (not the recruits, the actual players). Regardless of the audience, I start to do my usual gametime trash talking, where I shout out lots of jokes and deep cuts to entertain the surrounding fans who have a firm knowledge of every Gator insult posted on CIS for the past 15 years.

"Worst coach in the SEC!"

"Two Gator legacies just flipped to Miami!"

"Does it hurt, does it hurt?" (how many Robocop fans do we have out there?)

"Go, Gators, get up and go HOME!"

"Slingblade Billy is getting fired at halftime!"

"Run up the score, Mario!"

and of course when they played Tom Petty at the beginning of the 4th quarter, I sang "The Gators backed down!"

After the 4th quarter started, I didn't say all that much, we were killing those *****, and everyone knew it. Keep in mind, I kept everything pretty clean, my niece was there, and there were three small children sitting directly in front of me with their parents (Canes fans, the one boy had one of Xavier Restrepo's gloves).

Then right before the end of the game, Mr. Amateur Ticket Taker finally speaks to me a second time. And he asked me how old I was. Now, I was sensing some tension and drama in the air, so I played along.

The tall **** next to me starts to ask me some non-sequitur about "how old do I have to be to be this annoying", so I start going off on him with a torrent of words, some of them profane (sorry, kiddies, but Wu-Tang is for the children). I didn't do anything, but I was certainly curious to see if my verbal abuse of this ******* was going to provoke some sort of physical reaction on his part.

Then he tried to pull some passive-aggressive ****, where he started to talk to the UM fans sitting behind me, in order to pretend to be the "rational" person. He starts telling people (for no good reason), that he was from the Pacific Northwest, and that apparently his son played for Mario at Oregon and that Mario was a good person. Meanwhile, I'm thinking "this guy is trying to have a ****-measuring contest, when I've known Mario and Luis since undergrad?" So my brother is trying to get me to change seats with him, and I'm telling him "no, I'm fine", but I was having yet another French Maitre'D moment.

A. You can never go too far.
B. If I'm gonna get busted, it is not going to be by a guy like that.

I figured that if the cops showed up, I would tell them my name was Abe Froman. Anyhow, after the guy gave his curriculum vitae to all of the fans sitting behind me, he shut his mouth and eventually left. We stayed until the final knee was taken, though we know Mario is not all about that knee life.

So if anyone knows the name of a tall white jackass who may or may not have a son who has or has not played football for Oregon and/or another son (or the same one) who may or may not play for Florida, let me know.

I'd like to add him to my Christmas card list.

Here's a preview of the outside of this year's card:
1725229508346.png

The inside of the card:
1725229602182.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
We were in section 20 surrounded by Cane fans. It was glorious. Miami fans everywhere from my section. Older lady in front of us got mad since people were standing and too many Miami fans around. She got up and left at halftime.

Overall, stadium experience was great. Had a blast seeing so many Gator fans deflated. Wish there were more latinas.

Advertisement
You are an overflowing cup filled with the milk of human kindness. I have a hard time believing that you could ever annoy anyone.

EXACTLY. Perhaps the guy was just upset by the scoreboard...

The place was disorganized as f***. Went to take a p**s and get some water at half time. Lines were so long I missed the touchdown and didn’t get back to my seat until after half the 3rd quarter was gone. People behind the counter must be union workers at the DMV.

For those of us not there, how many Miami fans were there? On TV it looked and sounded WAY louder and bigger than the 4,000 allotted to Miami.

Advertisement
Kudos for traveling into Bat Country to confront The Enemy. To much Bad Craziness and violent methamphetamine freaks who are offsprings of the Whitaker and Kallikak families in that home crowd for me, without a headful of acid, quart of bourbon, and some decent golf shoes to get through all the muck.

Last edited:
I will say this -- the Gator fans were generally pleasant yesterday and took the **** talking better than I expected.

I think they're in AL Golden phase were in or Mannys last year where the pride is fine and you just want page to turn already.
This is facts, every time I travel for games Im like dam we be going too hard at hard rock, these fans are nice.. :ibis-roflmao-sm3:

Got tickets on Gators side cause I wasnt doing the sun AT ALL.. And we talked trash and they just took it..

Last edited:
First bad experience I’ve had with fans at the swamp. Made kicking their *** so bad even sweeter. Not even worth rehashing but yeah, F the Gata

Advertisement
For those of us not there, how many Miami fans were there? On TV it looked and sounded WAY louder and bigger than the 4,000 allotted to Miami.

Look, I am being honest with you, before the game, based on secondary ticket sales, demand, etc., I estimated 10K. Then, based on the tailgating, the game itself, and the crowd that stuck around after the game, I would put it as high as 12K.

Everywhere you looked, you could see "this group of Florida fans" had a couple two-three Miami fans mixed in. So while we did not all sit together, the sound, the reactions, the celebration near the end of the game and afterwards...

I am confident in my estimates, as a LOT of Miami fans bought tickets on the secondary market. Even though it was the first game, I didn't sense nearly as much overconfidence as you normally see from Gator fans, and I think a bunch of them made quick/easy money selling their tix.

Kudos for traveling into Bat Country to confront The Enemy. To much Bad Craziness and violent methamphetamine freaks who are offsprings of the Whitaker and Kallikak families in that home crowd for me, without a headful of acid, quart of bourbon, and some decent golf shoes to get through all the muck.

We were somewhere around Lake City on the edge of the swamp when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive...." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Gainesville.

Look, I am being honest with you, before the game, based on secondary ticket sales, demand, etc., I estimated 10K. Then, based on the tailgating, the game itself, and the crowd that stuck around after the game, I would put it as high as 12K.

Everywhere you looked, you could see "this group of Florida fans" had a couple two-three Miami fans mixed in. So while we did not all sit together, the sound, the reactions, the celebration near the end of the game and afterwards...

I am confident in my estimates, as a LOT of Miami fans bought tickets on the secondary market. Even though it was the first game, I didn't sense nearly as much overconfidence as you normally see from Gator fans, and I think a bunch of them made quick/easy money selling their tix.
When the TV cameras scanned the crowds, we could see Miami fans scattered all throughout the stadium.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We were somewhere around Lake City on the edge of the swamp when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive...." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Gainesville.
"There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon."

I thought I would take this space to tell a few stories from the wonderful weekend in Hogtown...and please feel free to share your own stories...

And y'all probably know the extent to which I have stolen the use of the ellipsis (...) from Hunter S. Thompson...that and the Pyramid Lead and the Symbiotic Trapezoid Quote...so let's talk about the Death of the Gator Dream, shall we...

Even though UM only gave me 2 of my 6 requested tickets (and they were next to the UM tunnel, but I needed AT LEAST four), I found myself perusing TicketBastard for four together...which I found at great cost, though my sale of the tunnel pair offset my pain and suffering...

But it was not until I arrived (LATE!) at the game that I realized I had hit the jackpot. First, a bit about THAT. Apparently, the deep-pockets UiF Athletic Department had installed new "self-checkout scanners" for the students to use on the east side of the stadium. Unfortunately, the contracted with the same guy who set up the Taylor Swift presale website, and the system crashed. So as we saw swarms of hot, sweaty (and HOT) coeds coming OUT of the line, we realized that we needed a backup plan, so we switched over to the northeast corner gate.

So after a long and disorganized process that was only slightly less painful than having general admission tickets to see The Who at Riverfront Coliseum, we finally burst inside of the swampiest swamp of The Swamp, much like Ace Venture got out of the mechanical rhino, or the Snoats brothers escaped from jail. And nearly immediately, I almost collided with the thick, ropy calf muscles of 7'22" Gator center Olivier Rioux.

After getting past the giant, we got to our gate. Now, one of the lesser known facts about The Swamp-*** is that even if you THINK you have come in on the ground level, OH NO, the stadium is even deeper. So if you are in the lower 35-40 rows, you are now going to DESCEND. I like to think it is because the stadium sank into the muck, but who knows. Also, Stonewall Jackson is no longer disclosing his architectural secrets. The takeaway is that everyone who walks into the stadium gets disoriented and has no idea where to go, until some slow-moving part-time Hogtown resident (who has a full-time job at the DMV) can stare at your phone for 7-19 minutes before telling you where your seats are.

So we reintroduced ourselves to bright sunlight shortly after Miami went up 7-0. So I led the way, ahead of my brother, sister-in-law, and niece. I found the row number (hand painted on the cement nearly 100 years ago) and moved our seats. Unfortunately, some people from the wrong row were there, but they quickly left.

Another little-known feature of The Swamp-*** is that the stadium has two numbered sections immediately next to each other, with the seat numbers on the recycled aluminum benches going from 1-30 before suddenly starting over again at 1. So we had Seats 27-30, and the next seat over was Seat #1. We were between the 35 and 40, in the 25th row.

And there's this tall white dude in the next seat over who, even though he sees the other people LEAVE my seats, has decided to appoint himself the Interim Ticket Checker. Out of nowhere, without me saying anything, he demands to see my tickets. So I told him "no" and proceeded to set up in MY seats (knowing full well that the seat numbers were also painted on the seats nearly 100 years ago). But I know my way around The Swamp-***, and I proceeded to evaluate this guy in much the same way that Ferris Bueller evaluated the French Maitre'D.

Now, it's midway through the first quarter. I start looking around, and to my EVERLASTING DELIGHT, I realize that my seats are RIGHT NEXT TO the parents of the Gator players (not the recruits, the actual players). Regardless of the audience, I start to do my usual gametime trash talking, where I shout out lots of jokes and deep cuts to entertain the surrounding fans who have a firm knowledge of every Gator insult posted on CIS for the past 15 years.

"Worst coach in the SEC!"

"Two Gator legacies just flipped to Miami!"

"Does it hurt, does it hurt?" (how many Robocop fans do we have out there?)

"Go, Gators, get up and go HOME!"

"Slingblade Billy is getting fired at halftime!"

"Run up the score, Mario!"

and of course when they played Tom Petty at the beginning of the 4th quarter, I sang "The Gators backed down!"

After the 4th quarter started, I didn't say all that much, we were killing those *****, and everyone knew it. Keep in mind, I kept everything pretty clean, my niece was there, and there were three small children sitting directly in front of me with their parents (Canes fans, the one boy had one of Xavier Restrepo's gloves).

Then right before the end of the game, Mr. Amateur Ticket Taker finally speaks to me a second time. And he asked me how old I was. Now, I was sensing some tension and drama in the air, so I played along.

The tall **** next to me starts to ask me some non-sequitur about "how old do I have to be to be this annoying", so I start going off on him with a torrent of words, some of them profane (sorry, kiddies, but Wu-Tang is for the children). I didn't do anything, but I was certainly curious to see if my verbal abuse of this ******* was going to provoke some sort of physical reaction on his part.

Then he tried to pull some passive-aggressive ****, where he started to talk to the UM fans sitting behind me, in order to pretend to be the "rational" person. He starts telling people (for no good reason), that he was from the Pacific Northwest, and that apparently his son played for Mario at Oregon and that Mario was a good person. Meanwhile, I'm thinking "this guy is trying to have a ****-measuring contest, when I've known Mario and Luis since undergrad?" So my brother is trying to get me to change seats with him, and I'm telling him "no, I'm fine", but I was having yet another French Maitre'D moment.

A. You can never go too far.
B. If I'm gonna get busted, it is not going to be by a guy like that.

I figured that if the cops showed up, I would tell them my name was Abe Froman. Anyhow, after the guy gave his curriculum vitae to all of the fans sitting behind me, he shut his mouth and eventually left. We stayed until the final knee was taken, though we know Mario is not all about that knee life.

So if anyone knows the name of a tall white jackass who may or may not have a son who has or has not played football for Oregon and/or another son (or the same one) who may or may not play for Florida, let me know.

I'd like to add him to my Christmas card list.

Here's a preview of the outside of this year's card:
View attachment 300973

The inside of the card:
View attachment 300974
THE SAUSAGE KING OF CHICAGO!!!!!!

OK, so Story #2...

I woke up early Saturday morning to the sound of some cheap-*** Gator fan literally emptying out my motel's ice machine for his cooler. Chunk, chunk, ka-chunk. ************ was at it for 5 minutes or more. Now I have more pride than this, I will gladly give the heirs of Mr. George Jenkins (who funded the UM School of Business) a couple of my hard-earned dollars for some clean Publix ice.

I jump in the shower, get dressed, and take inventory of my CanesWear goodie bag from the party the night before. Then, I take the great Brad Tejada's advice (some of you guys need to CHILL on Brad) and pack a change of clothes for the tailgate. Hop in the car and head to Krispy Kreme, some of these youngsters who will be coming to the tailgate probably don't want to try gator tail or whatever else will be grilled. Jump over to the Publix on US 441 and NW 3rd Avenue to get some supplies and meet up with my brother and sister-in-law.

It's still early, around 7:30 am, but these Gator fans are chirping early. Don't they know that shopping is supposed to be a pleasure at Publix? The first one was outside, I'm just trying to get an undersized shopping cart. I told him "you do not know what's coming, you are not ready for what you are about to get" and he laughs that ****y laugh. Fine. Maybe people will be better behaved inside the store.

So I go inside to find my brother, who has already texted me **** for hitting KK before Publix (and while most people at Krispy Kreme were Gator fans trying to hassle me) the gentleman in front of me told me he was from Miami, and that he was a Canes fan though his daughter was going to UF. All of that was cool, but I felt bad because you could tell that he had to say everything quietly and was just happy to find a brother-in-arms to whom he could confess his support of UM. But what really ****ed me off was the redneck KK manager acting like he couldn't understand the poor guy ordering a macchiato in a SLIGHTLY Hispanic accent. What the ****? I was standing BEHIND this kind man, and I understood his order.

Anyhow, back to Publix, while I'm looking for my brother, I run into a couple of attractive females who try to tell me "Go Gators". Again, I've just got an empty cart at this point, so I politely tell them that we are going to smash the Gators today. Maybe they are just unaccustomed to guys telling them something they don't want to hear, but they seem a bit confused by my lack of a smile and non-agreeable response.

So then I find my brother, we split our efforts to find everything and GTFO of Gator-Publix. I'm stocking up on soda and Body Armor (no ******* way am I buying Gatorade in Gainesville), and that's when I may or may not have had an encounter with Miami Gator Mike from Swamp-*** 247. So I'm walking here, and a guy (and there were a couple of other guys nearby, but I tried not to judge whether they prefer butt-*** or reacharounds) and he starts chomping at me. Now, at 7:30 am, I've already fired off two witty retorts and there's barely anyone in the store, so I just laugh a very confident and evil knowing-laugh.

We get to the checkout line, the only one that is open at this early hour, and instead of asking "did you find everything you need" like any reasonable Publix employee is trained to do, she busts out the "Go Gators" on me too. WTF, and you're about to ask me if I want to donate a dollar to charity? **** NO. But my sister-in-law is there, and my niece goes to UiF, so I allow discretion to be the better part of valor and I zip my lip.

Finally, I get out to my car, and God smiles upon me. A Miami fan is coming through the parking lot and throws up the U. Life is good again.

Advertisement
Back