Still not ranked

As I pointed out on this thread and another thread, the NET rating has changed, and all of those "defensive efficiency" metrics are no longer being used. Ostensibly, the NET rating AS CURRENTLY REVISED does not take those things into account any longer.

Again, I'm not sure why or how, but we keep getting bizarre outcomes, at least how the NET rating is claimed to be used this year. That's not a knock on any poster, it's just me pointing out that it doesn't seem to make much sense. Nothing personal, I'd just like to see us ranked accurately.

Just not true. From the NCAA website:
“The remaining factors include the Team Value Index (TVI), which is a result-based feature that rewards teams for beating quality opponents, particularly away from home, as well as an adjusted net efficiency rating.”

The net efficiency rating is based upon offensive and defensive efficiency. Basically same as kenpom. That’s why our net ranking is very close to our kenpom ranking.

The efficiency metrics are misused by being over prioritized by both NET and kenpom… which is why we are not getting full credit for winning the actual games we have won.

Advertisement
At least Jay Bilas has put us in his top 64. 👀

i

47. Miami Hurricanes
Miami is a first-division ACC team with some strong wins (at Duke, at Virginia Tech, at Wake Forest) and a lot to recommend it, but it is also running out of chances to impress the selection committee in what has been a top-heavy ACC. The Canes have guards who can score -- Charlie Moore, Kameron McGusty, Isaiah Wong -- which tends to be a problem when the games matter most in March.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back