Still no Thompson

here is a question,
since he was recruited by football, even if he is all baseball - would he still count against 85?

if he doesnt play football then no he wouldnt count

since baseball doesnt have full rides......if he didnt take baseball money and paid his own way.......he would essentially be a walkon for football.......and still wouldnt count

but unless they changed the rules.......im pretty sure baseball still gets treated like track........some in on schollie for another sport.......once he plays football......it switches over to football and then would count against the limit

ZZZZ.... This has been covered countless times. He's on a football scholarship. He counts against the 85
i didnt remember if he actually signed his LOI or not

Advertisement
here is a question,
since he was recruited by football, even if he is all baseball - would he still count against 85?

since baseball doesnt have full rides......if he didnt take baseball money and paid his own way.......he would essentially be a walkon for football.......and still wouldnt count

but unless they changed the rules.......im pretty sure baseball still gets treated like track........some in on schollie for another sport.......once he plays football......it switches over to football and then would count against the limit

He was recruited for football, so if he becomes a scholarship athlete at UM and is on baseball and football teams, his schollie would count in football, even before he ever plays a down. The hierarchy for schollie purposes is football, basketball, then ice hockey (for the full hierarchy, see NCAA Manual Figure 15-3). The rule is NCAA Bylaw 15.5.10:

In football, a counter who was recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who participates (practices or competes) in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in football. A counter who was not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who competes in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in football.
thats what i was talking about......but because of the confusion as to if he would come or not.......i just didnt remember if he actually signed an LOI or not

here is a question,

He was recruited for football, so if he becomes a scholarship athlete at UM and is on baseball and football teams, his schollie would count in football, even before he ever plays a down. The hierarchy for schollie purposes is football, basketball, then ice hockey (for the full hierarchy, see NCAA Manual Figure 15-3). The rule is NCAA Bylaw 15.5.10:

In football, a counter who was recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who participates (practices or competes) in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in football. A counter who was not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who competes in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in football.
thats what i was talking about......but because of the confusion as to if he would come or not.......i just didnt remember if he actually signed an LOI or not

He did.

Advertisement
His future paychecks are going to be in baseball IMHO. He's probably 6' tall, some say at best (yeah, Drew Brees, blah, blah, blah).

I am skeptical about him playing QB when he is going to miss Spring football each year.

I am thinking of him as a baseball addition until I see him start a game in football.

I'm not a big believer in 2-sport guys. Both sports hurt the other.

His future paychecks are going to be in baseball IMHO. He's probably 6' tall, some say at best (yeah, Drew Brees, blah, blah, blah).

I am skeptical about him playing QB when he is going to miss Spring football each year.

I am thinking of him as a baseball addition until I see him start a game in football.

Im hopeful that he can stay on a football 'ship while playing baseball. The baseball team could use the extra 60% scholarship.

Advertisement
I don't get paid to think from what I have seen in his highlight films beegs to say he is a true athlete. The film i have seen on him not just Baseball, Football but basketball as well. I know the comp he was playing against is not top tear comp. but like rashawn Scott he look like a man amongst boys. He is a smart kid as well.

Question is can he come in and compete in front of Dewey & Crow or is he a Red-shirt

Neither Crow nor Dewey are very special QBs...so...its not impossible.

Im hopeful that he can stay on a football 'ship while playing baseball. The baseball team could use the extra 60% scholarship.

I think he will be on a football 'ship all the way, unless he formally quits football to focus solely on baseball. Football is the top of the list in the NCAA precedence order, and since he was recruited by our football coaches (remember he was the first player Fisch visited when the window opened) he is by NCAA rule, a football recruit, which prohibits a school from "hiding" his scholarship in another sport, even if you think that baseball 'ship is more valuable.

The kid is smart. Very important in a quarterback. Quick to learn and understand a playbook.

The kid is fast-thinking, fast-reacting. Very important traits in a quarterback.

The kid is a baller in three sports - meaning very adaptive and athletic - very important in a quarterback where in busted plays, you sometimes have to make it up as you go along.

Three sports indicate good hand-eye coordination - something we've had consistency problems in.

Thompson knows how to throw himself into a season. He's taking a break right now, he's had a lot of pressure and speculation he's had to deal with, but he has his head on straight. Unlike some of our recent big-heads who threw their entire professional sport futures on an 'anticipated' reaction - Thompson didn't bite, and hold out for MLB.

He's coming. He'll be just fine. Coulda been better had he been here in early Spring, but maybe not.

Advertisement
Well I have minimal football expectations and high baseball expectations. I love him being on a full football ride so we can keep that baseball ship from Thompson and give it out elsewhere. Makes the baseball team better.

Advertisement
Back