Sources: Njoku leaning towards NFL draft

This is a common theme for Miami players over the last 10 years - guys thinking they should leave before they really should. No one can argue Njoku's talent, but he's not maximized his value yet. Neither has Kaaya. Disagree all you want, but it's more likely than not that both players will be drafted higher next year than they will this year.

Advertisement
LOVE Njoku, but he won't be a 1st round pick. TEs are still under-valued by too many. He'll be a 2nd round pick tho; prob in that 35-50 range.

Njoku is better than all of those guys and he has barely scratched the surface.

He's not, those guys actually have film to back up their physical attributes. Bucky Hodges is similar to Njoku, only he has caught almost double the passes in his career. Jake Butt is a complete tight end, he can play both inline and split. Did I mention that both of those two players can block, something Njoku can't do? I think David is the kind of player that a GM falls in love with, based on how he looks, and his combine, but the kind of team you want to play for will look at his film and ask some pointed questions. How can a guy this athletic, this talented be a nonfactor for most of his career?

Njoku was more productive than all of them this year but I guess he doesn't have "film" to back up his atrributes. Please shut up.

You realize that GMs and people whose careers are on the line aren't going to just look at ONE season of work, right? They are going to look at the fact that Butt, despite being dinged for a lot of the season has caught more than 50 passes in a season beat tfore at the college level. Njoku hasn't, and most likely won't. Hodges has caught more passes in his career than Njoku, despite not being as physically gifted. People are also going to look at the film and wonder why Njoku drops balls like AT&T drops calls. Again, the young man has the physical talent, and he will look mighty impressive in shorts at the combine, but that doesn't change the fact that his film doesn't line up with what he is physically. Njoku should be putting up numbers, but he isn't. You combine that with things like not being a legit blocker, and being a little one dimensional in regards to routes, and you have a guy that is a question mark. Well run franchises don't spend first round money on tight ends with question marks. Maybe the Raiders would have, but Al Davis is dead. Look at Clive Walford, a guy that was way more complete than David, and was athletic in his own right, albeit not the genetic freak Njoku is. Where did he go in the draft?

He's not, those guys actually have film to back up their physical attributes. Bucky Hodges is similar to Njoku, only he has caught almost double the passes in his career. Jake Butt is a complete tight end, he can play both inline and split. Did I mention that both of those two players can block, something Njoku can't do? I think David is the kind of player that a GM falls in love with, based on how he looks, and his combine, but the kind of team you want to play for will look at his film and ask some pointed questions. How can a guy this athletic, this talented be a nonfactor for most of his career?

Njoku was more productive than all of them this year but I guess he doesn't have "film" to back up his atrributes. Please shut up.

You realize that GMs and people whose careers are on the line aren't going to just look at ONE season of work, right? They are going to look at the fact that Butt, despite being dinged for a lot of the season has caught more than 50 passes in a season beat tfore at the college level. Njoku hasn't, and most likely won't. Hodges has caught more passes in his career than Njoku, despite not being as physically gifted. People are also going to look at the film and wonder why Njoku drops balls like AT&T drops calls. Again, the young man has the physical talent, and he will look mighty impressive in shorts at the combine, but that doesn't change the fact that his film doesn't line up with what he is physically. Njoku should be putting up numbers, but he isn't. You combine that with things like not being a legit blocker, and being a little one dimensional in regards to routes, and you have a guy that is a question mark. Well run franchises don't spend first round money on tight ends with question marks. Maybe the Raiders would have, but Al Davis is dead. Look at Clive Walford, a guy that was way more complete than David, and was athletic in his own right, albeit not the genetic freak Njoku is. Where did he go in the draft?

A guy like Walford who wasn't close to the athlete that Njoku is didn't to as high in the draft as znjoku likely will? You don't say!

Advertisement
He's a high 2nd low 3rd round pick. He shows a ton of potential but he's from a guy who has been dominant in college

Honestly his college resume is average to below average for a guy with his physical tools. The combine is whereally he'll make some money

As I have stated before. We don't need him. We are in a really good spot at tight end. So I am all for him going to make that money and rep the U in the NFL. Henderson and Irvin will be just as good.

I wish the young brotha much success and I truly enjoyed his time at the U. I need the Dolphins to draft Fournette and Njoku..lol

Advertisement
He's a high 2nd low 3rd round pick. He shows a ton of potential but he's from a guy who has been dominant in college

You guys act like 2nd and 3rd round money is chump change. There's also zero guarantee he improves his draft stock significantly. You only have a limited amount of years to make loot in the NFL. You start that clock as soon as you can if you're a 1-3 round pick. If you ball out, you'll get your big contract soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster, but the majority of his stats are from this season. Would love if he stayed, wouldn't be mad if he left.

Advertisement

Most of this post is completely wrong. The NFL drafts on potential far more than anything else. Walford is a nice player. No Joke U is a physical freak who runs over LBs and swats DBs off him like mosquitos at the No Joke U family picnic. His size/speed/athleticism combination is off the charts. He's not getting past the second round. Enjoy the bowl game as it will be his last collegiate game.

Side note - it looked like he almost dropped the ball on that TD catch. There was def a bobble in there. Dude needs to work on that.

Advertisement
Njoku is very talented i agree. However im not so sure scouts view him as a 1st round talent. If he doesn get a 1st or 2nd round grade, then he should come back. If he needs he money I understand him leaving. Either way i wish him the best.

Mark Richt has dealt with highly drafted guys before (Gurley, Stafford, Moreno, Green, etc.) he will steer Njoku in the right direction. But I don't think he gets much better in college, NFL will coach him up better than Todd Hartley

Advertisement
Back