So, tell me about Charleston

College of Charleston is a basketball school. They had a dominat basketball program in the 90's (mid-majors wise). However, they haven't been the same since the early 2000's. They'll still be a quality opponent to go up against to prepare for the 1st or 2nd game the NCAA tourney.

Last edited:
Advertisement
There is world class shrimp and grits at R & B's. Tell the I sent you and they will give you extra shrimps.

Note - Leading player at Chucktown is Canyon Barry, youngest son of Rick Barry of U fame 64 - 65. When Barry was at the U he was a Kappa Sig when most student athletes lived in frats. On San Amaro next door were the Phi Delts who were the football players. Who knows, maybe Rick will be at the game.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Weird game. We lead by double digits most of the first half, they cut it to 3 with about 15 left, we go on a monster run to go up 28 and win 85-63. Newton was the best player on the court today.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Remarkable improvement from Canyon Barry from last season to this year. Hard to believe it was the same guy. The Canes hosted Charleston at roughly this point last year. I remember posting in the related thread. Barry was borderline worthless. He froze roughly 3 feet behind the 3 point line all game. Couldn't pass. Couldn't penetrate. Nothing. I felt sorry that the coach seemed forced to stick with him.

I can't remember how much Charleston scored in that game but it was a pittance. I'm not sure they busted 40.

His dad or somebody did wonders for Canyon's game in 12 months. He created his own shot several times along with nice passing and many drives to the basket. Willing on defense also. He scored 20 today and it should have been more. He was only 2-4 from the line with the familiar underhand delivery, and was denied on several drives to the basket in the second half after finishing them in the first half. He had 14 at half, 20 early in the second half and then never scored again. That team is so thin they never gave Canyon a breather in the second half.

Hard to believe there wasn't a legacy scholarship available, considering the caliber of player who often receives them in football. Granted, I realize there are fewer spots in basketball. But we've got a 5-10 freshman guard who doesn't look like he'll ever be more than a fan favorite hard trying curiosity. He played literally the final 35 seconds today.

Re the Canes:

* Newton is so much more aggressive and confident than last year
* Murphy is a great looking athlete who rebounds and plays defense but his shot needs severe work, and that's putting it mildly
* Lawrence, on the other hand, is starting to spin the ball nicely. Such a contrast from that nervous exhibition opener. He still picks up too many silly fouls

Like last year, the cameraman picked up Rick Barry in the stands and he was introduced to the crowd. He was wearing the same type of gray College of Charleston T-shirt as last year. The ovation this year was entirely positive, differing from last season with a spattering of boos when his Charleston shirt was more prominent on the screen. I concluded that everybody is in a better mood this year with Golden gone

The arena announcer either didn't recognize the guy sitting alongside Rick Barry today or didn't think it was relevant to mention him. That was Raymond Floyd, the Hall of Fame professional golfer including Masters and U.S. Open victories. Rick Barry has a golf connection, BTW. I know he's won the super senior (60+) division of the long drive championship multiple times.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Remarkable improvement from Canyon Barry from last season to this year. Hard to believe it was the same guy. The Canes hosted Charleston at roughly this point last year. I remember posting in the related thread. Barry was borderline worthless. He froze roughly 3 feet behind the 3 point line all game. Couldn't pass. Couldn't penetrate. Nothing. I felt sorry that the coach seemed forced to stick with him.

I can't remember how much Charleston scored in that game but it was a pittance. I'm not sure they busted 40.

His dad or somebody did wonders for Canyon's game in 12 months. He created his own shot several times along with nice passing and many drives to the basket. Willing on defense also. He scored 20 today and it should have been more. He was only 2-4 from the line with the familiar underhand delivery, and was denied on several drives to the basket in the second half after finishing them in the first half. He had 14 at half, 20 early in the second half and then never scored again. That team is so thin they never gave Canyon a breather in the second half.

Hard to believe there wasn't a legacy scholarship available, considering the caliber of player who often receives them in football. Granted, I realize there are fewer spots in basketball. But we've got a 5-10 freshman guard who doesn't look like he'll ever be more than a fan favorite hard trying curiosity. He played literally the final 35 seconds today.

Re the Canes:

* Newton is so much more aggressive and confident than last year
* Murphy is a great looking athlete who rebounds and plays defense but his shot needs severe work, and that's putting it mildly
* Lawrence, on the other hand, is starting to spin the ball nicely. Such a contrast from that nervous exhibition opener. He still picks up too many silly fouls

Like last year, the cameraman picked up Rick Barry in the stands and he was introduced to the crowd. He was wearing the same type of gray College of Charleston T-shirt as last year. The ovation this year was entirely positive, differing from last season with a spattering of boos when his Charleston shirt was more prominent on the screen. I concluded that everybody is in a better mood this year with Golden gone

The arena announcer either didn't recognize the guy sitting alongside Rick Barry today or didn't think it was relevant to mention him. That was Raymond Floyd, the Hall of Fame professional golfer including Masters and U.S. Open victories. Rick Barry has a golf connection, BTW. I know he's won the super senior (60+) division of the long drive championship multiple times.

Good info. But was waiting for the underhand free throw bit. Unreal when I saw that. Only player I've seen do that since I've been alive.

For anyone attending future home games, I should mention a security change that began yesterday with the Charleston game. They are now wanding everybody downstairs before entrance, just like the football games. You are asked to remove contents from your pockets along with your hat. Purses and packages are checked. There was a prominently placed Bomb Squad truck in the parking lot. It caught everybody by surprise and was at least a 10 minute delay. This was for a Saturday afternoon game with a moderate crowd, so figure for longer once the major conference games at night are at issue.

I asked if this would be the practice at every game, and was told yes.

Advertisement
Back