So NFL show doing story on Collins "In the air tonight"

nobeastofburden

All ACC
Most popular pre game song in the NFL. All these dudes listening to it on headphones. Had no clue outside Miami this was played in sports especially in this day and age.

Advertisement
miike-tyson-punch.gif

Advertisement
How do you know Miami started it? Great song for pregame, hit song.

I'd be very surprised if anyone besides UM started it. Historically UM has been the trend-setter for many of these things.

1). The 4 fingers raised to signify dominating the 4th quarter. Alabama started it under Bear Bryant and no one replicated it. Schnelly brought it from Bama to UM and it became a UM thing, then the whole country started doing it.

2). The turnover chain. UM started it now every single team in college football has a trinket for players when they get a turnover.

3). Running thru the smoke. UM started it. Now half the teams in all of sport run through the smoke. Probably 2/3rds of NHL teams do it when they take the ice before a game.

Im gonna guess UM started the "In the Air Tonight" thing because it was synonymous with the supernatural vibe that the Orange Bowl created. Teams likely wanted to recreate what UM had.

I'd be very surprised if anyone besides UM started it. Historically UM has been the trend-setter for many of these things.

1). The 4 fingers raised to signify dominating the 4th quarter. Alabama started it under Bear Bryant and no one replicated it. Schnelly brought it from Bama to UM and it became a UM thing, then the whole country started doing it.

2). The turnover chain. UM started it now every single team in college football has a trinket for players when they get a turnover.

3). Running thru the smoke. UM started it. Now half the teams in all of sport run through the smoke. Probably 2/3rds of NHL teams do it when they take the ice before a game.

Im gonna guess UM started the "In the Air Tonight" thing because it was synonymous with the supernatural vibe that the Orange Bowl created. Teams likely wanted to recreate what UM had.
You may be right. I am not questioning Miami’s brand making something popular. This doesn’t mean ‘they started it’, it means it became popular when Miami did it (and rightfully so). Alabama did the ‘4 fingers 4th quarter’ a decade or more before, as you stated.

Regarding the TO chain we all love and hate, other schools had tokens for the defense. Alabama had a turnover belt (like a boxing or pro-wrestling belt) before Diaz came up with the now-lame chain. Miami‘s popularity and back-to-back wins over VT and ND in 2017 made it trendy. The chain has been reduced to a f-n in-game awards show. Don’t get me started with the TD rings the players seem to be forced to wear.

The TO chain and TD rings should be cancelled by the next HC.

Advertisement

Wasn’t it also on a Miami vice episode?

Edit… looked 2 posts up. yes It was.

You may be right. I am not questioning Miami’s brand making something popular. This doesn’t mean ‘they started it’, it means it became popular when Miami did it (and rightfully so). Alabama did the ‘4 fingers 4th quarter’ a decade or more before, as you stated.

Regarding the TO chain we all love and hate, other schools had tokens for the defense. Alabama had a turnover belt (like a boxing or pro-wrestling belt) before Diaz came up with the now-lame chain. Miami‘s popularity and back-to-back wins over VT and ND in 2017 made it trendy. The chain has been reduced to a f-n in-game awards show. Don’t get me started with the TD rings the players seem to be forced to wear.

The TO chain and TD rings should be cancelled by the next HC.

History has countless examples of what you're saying but that means nothing. Its not who invents it. Its who popularizes it. That is what gets copied; The popularization. For that reason, UM is likely who should get credit for the use of this song as a pregame theme song.

History has countless examples of what you're saying but that means nothing. Its not who invents it. Its who popularizes it. That is what gets copied; The popularization. For that reason, UM is likely who should get credit for the use of this song as a pregame theme song.
Fine. I’m not concerned Miami doesn’t get credit for playing a song. Not sure why anyone is.

Advertisement
Fine. I’m not concerned Miami doesn’t get credit for playing a song. Not sure why anyone is.

C'mon now. Discussing it on a Canes football message board and caring about it in your day to day life are two different things. Internet pride is a thing...

...on the internet. :)

Advertisement
UM started using it - only old heads will know why.

Pretty much THE most famous scene in that entire series.

The length of the rumors that Phil Collins (a Miami resident) was going to do it live before a night game at The OB spanned decades too.

Sooooo I'm comfortable giving our program credit for this....even if Sonny Crockett was a UiF WR.

Pretty much THE most famous scene in that entire series.

The length of the rumors that Phil Collins (a Miami resident) was going to do it live before a night game at The OB spanned decades too.

Sooooo I'm comfortable giving our program credit for this....even if Sonny Crockett was a UiF WR.
Next Miami NC game, please Football Gods, at Hard Rock, have The Rock as special guest on Gameday and give the players pre-game hype speech, and have Collins play In The Air Tonight live, the players hitting the smoke right as the drums hit….

Last edited:
Next Miami NC game, please Football Gods, at Hard Rock, have The Rock as special guest on Gameday and give the players pre-game hype speech, and have Collins play In The Air Tonight live, the players hitting the smoke right as the drums hit….
I believe Phil has been battling severe arthritis or something (and an insane ex-wife) that has almost rendered him retired but we can still dream.

The fact that Vag Tech got Metallica in to do their entrance live before our admin could ever get essentially a local guy to come to The OB is embarrassing. We could've raised a lot of money for his charity in the process too.

I believe Phil has been battling severe arthritis or something (and an insane ex-wife) that has almost rendered him retired but we can still dream.

The fact that Vag Tech got Metallica in to do their entrance live before our admin could ever get essentially a local guy to come to The OB is embarrassing. We could've raised a lot of money for his charity in the process too.
Phil may be past his prime…but it could be faked, no? Or is that lame? Might be lame.

Miami may need to book The Rock a year in advance. And have a booster pay for it.

Advertisement
Back