SEASON PREVIEW: Quarterback

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator

Camp is nine days away, so we’re breaking down the depth chart for each position group. Let’s start at the top with quarterback.

THE STARTER

Cam Ward

The Washington State transfer is the unquestioned leader of the team and one of the best players in the nation. In 2023, he completed 67% of his passes for 3,736 yards (7.7 YPA), 25 TDs and 7 INTs. His yardage total would have broken Bernie Kosar’s nearly forty-year old record, and he only had a 1.9% interception rate...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
Advertisement
I was a big Poff guy coming out of the spring, but apparently Williams has taken a huge leap over the break here and will push very hard for the #2 job.

I don’t care who it is, they won’t help Miami win any games.
I’d love if that was the case. Being able to develop one of our own and emory is easy to root for

1000002532.webp

Advertisement
So many narratives Mario has to squash.. what happens at the QB position is huge for this year and going forward. Are we gonna get into the bonus round or is it going to be same ol same ol? I realize it's not profound to say but what happens with Ward is gonna make or break this year.

I was a big Poff guy coming out of the spring, but apparently Williams has taken a huge leap over the break here and will push very hard for the #2 job.

I don’t care who it is, they won’t help Miami win any games.
Emory will never start another game at Miami. Let’s be honest Poff is #2. Next year we get another transfer, and the following year it is Luke.

Emory will never start another game at Miami. Let’s be honest Poff is #2. Next year we get another transfer, and the following year it is Luke.

They’ll be competing for the #2 job.

I agree that it doesn’t matter who starts if Ward gets hurt.

Advertisement
Ward is the undisputed #1. Where it gets interesting is the #2 spot, as imo Emory has earned it with his play vs Clemson/FSU last year. He’s shown that at the very least he can give us a chance to win in the 4th quarter vs Top 10 caliber opponents.

I’m a fan of Poff’s game/film, but the man has to prove it vs ACC level competition.

Advertisement
They’ll be competing for the #2 job.

I agree that it doesn’t matter who starts if Ward gets hurt.
I disagree in the short term. If Ward is out for 1-2 games, who starts in his place will be critical.

Look, I’m a Pittsburgh Steelers fan,. Every season that he played Big Ben seemingly missed a few games due to injury. The back up QB is an extremely important position, and after seeing Emory lead the team to victory over Clemson, I believe he can hold the fort. And hopefully Poff can as well.

All I can say is Thank God Ward don’t turn pro. If we’re comparing QB2 to Malik Rozier he’s not Miami material. Full stop.

I have hopes for Emory. I was hoping to hear higher praise than he’s better than Taylor Cook and Evan Shirreffs smh.I really hope he beats out Poff this summer camp and never looks back.

I get Pete’s relief that we at least have a couple guys who won’t outright lose games unlike Brown or multiple other backups over the years. That’s too low a bar at this point for Miami. We need to be better.

Looks like we’ll be portalling for an QB again this winter.

All I can say is Thank God Ward don’t turn pro. If we’re comparing QB2 to Malik Rozier he’s not Miami material. Full stop.

I have hopes for Emory. I was hoping to hear higher praise than he’s better than Taylor Cook and Evan Shirreffs smh.I really hope he beats out Poff this summer camp and never looks back.

I get Pete’s relief that we at least have a couple guys who won’t outright lose games unlike Brown or multiple other backups over the years. That’s too low a bar at this point for Miami. We need to be better.

Looks like we’ll be portalling for an QB again this winter.
2017 Rosier was the best Miami QB szn of the last 10 years

So many narratives Mario has to squash.. what happens at the QB position is huge for this year and going forward. Are we gonna get into the bonus round or is it going to be same ol same ol? I realize it's not profound to say but what happens with Ward is gonna make or break this year.
He beat a stacked OSU team at the Horseshoe with Anthony Brown.

We just gotta play Miami Hurricane Football.

Advertisement
Back