Scrimmage news

Advertisement
Man I absolutely think Lingard is gunna be great, but I don't see him starting at all unless we get ****ed by injuries. The way I see it, we will have about 425 total Rushing attempts on the season, including QB scrambles/sacks.

Lingard is definitely going to command a bunch of carries - I think no more than 100 though, probably around 75 give or take a couple in a blow out game. With Dallas, Homer, and a scrambling QB, I don't see Lingard as a True Frosh getting over 25% of the total carries this season, I think he'll get <20% of the share.

Travis Homer is going to be our starter, but Deejay Dallas will command a lot of touches. And I absolutely think Dallas is going to be used at WR, and as the wildcat QB some more. I'm excited to see 2 RB sets with both Dallas and another actual RB on the field, It gives us a lot of options to run hurry up - motion Dallas out wide, run a few plays out of wildcat, etc. Could be really great in a hurry up offense which we showed at times. Anyways, I think these two are going to combine for close to 275 carries. Probably close to 65% of the rushing attempts.

I really don't think Perry is going to scramble as much as Rosier did last season. I think around 70 rushing attempts from our QBs is a pretty good guess. About 15% of the carries go to the QBs.

Man I absolutely think Lingard is gunna be great, but I don't see him starting at all unless we get ****ed by injuries. The way I see it, we will have about 425 total Rushing attempts on the season, including QB scrambles/sacks.

Lingard is definitely going to command a bunch of carries - I think no more than 100 though, probably around 75 give or take a couple in a blow out game. With Dallas, Homer, and a scrambling QB, I don't see Lingard as a True Frosh getting over 25% of the total carries this season, I think he'll get <20% of the share.

Travis Homer is going to be our starter, but Deejay Dallas will command a lot of touches. And I absolutely think Dallas is going to be used at WR, and as the wildcat QB some more. I'm excited to see 2 RB sets with both Dallas and another actual RB on the field, It gives us a lot of options to run hurry up - motion Dallas out wide, run a few plays out of wildcat, etc. Could be really great in a hurry up offense which we showed at times. Anyways, I think these two are going to combine for close to 275 carries. Probably close to 65% of the rushing attempts.

I really don't think Perry is going to scramble as much as Rosier did last season. I think around 70 rushing attempts from our QBs is a pretty good guess. About 15% of the carries go to the QBs.
I know Homer is proven, but Lingard is the best HB recruit we've had since Duke Johnson. Also, Homer, while a very good back, was a backup to a talented back. If anyone can take reps from Homer, it's Lingard.

It just doesn't matter, though. They will split carries. The more Lingard sees the field, the more he will see the field, if you know what I mean. It's just going to be hard to keep him from getting significant reps.

Advertisement
I like both DJ and Homer as our RBs. I wasn't throwing shade at homer by saying he should be #2 behind Dallas.
I think it's kind of a Chubb and Michel type combo. Chubb was more of a bruiser and all around back. Michel was your home run threat anytime he touched it. I think Homer succeeds but I think Dallas is just right for all situations.
You need both.
Glad that we do.

Teams could crowd the line last year, to take away the run, with Rosier being inconsistent. OL didn’t help at times, but if they can get a QB who can consistently make a defense pay by overcommiting to stopping the run, then Homer will have some room to run.
Very solid point, but who the f'uck is "they"

It's "we", maf'ucker......"we"!! Lol

All you need to do is look at history if you think Lingard isn't going to be a major player in the offense this year, if not the feature back. Here are the freshman numbers for the the last three stud running backs CMR brought in at Georgia.

Moreno-248 rushes for 1334 yards and 14 TDs
Gurley-224 rushes for 1385 yards and 17 TDs
Chubb-219 rushes for 1547 yards and 14 TDs

Per 247:
Moreno #68 overall, #5 RB
Gurley #73 overall, #3 RB
Chubb #33 overall, # 5 RB
Lingard #25 overall, #2 RB

Hard to envision a scenario where he doesn't get an absolute ton of carries this year.

Advertisement
I’m hoping Perry makes this an easy choice for the coaches and it’s not another battle like last year . We need a QB that’s MUCH better than Rosier, not neck and neck with him in practice

If it's a real close competition at QB again - we're in deep, deep trouble.

All you need to do is look at history if you think Lingard isn't going to be a major player in the offense this year,
Hard to envision a scenario where he doesn't get an absolute ton of carries this year.
I, like everyone else on this board, believe, scratch that, know that Lingard is going to be a stud. In my mind, he will end up being the best back of our current running back group. However, as it relates to this year, I can't see him getting a ton of carries. I can see him getting carries for sure, but I see us being a "RB by committee" team this year, with neither of the RB's getting a "ton" of carries.

I would expect to see Ambassador Lingard play a similar role to that freshmans RB at Clemson Etienne last year, who was more talented than the other guys but maybe didn’t play as much. But when he did he often brought homeruns with him.

You know, if you have two great running backs - and had an uptempo offense successfully operating - as you suggest - in the late third or fourth quarter - a fresh RB with a burn to get in the game and smoke off some serious runs - Lo may be a lightning bolt for closing.

I, like everyone else on this board, believe, scratch that, know that Lingard is going to be a stud. In my mind, he will end up being the best back of our current running back group. However, as it relates to this year, I can't see him getting a ton of carries. I can see him getting carries for sure, but I see us being a "RB by committee" team this year, with neither of the RB's getting a "ton" of carries.

We'll all know soon enough but over the last 10 years of his coaching career CMR hasn't shown any propensity to do anything like that.

Even when he brought in Chubb and Michel the same season, Sony only had 64 carries. Don't see why anyone would think things will be different this year. No where has he adpoted a RB by committee approach.

Advertisement
I think it will be split rather evenly as well, and that Lingard will get more carries as the season progresses. It's going to be fun to watch.

Advertisement
Maybe a guy that can hit simple passes AND can escape a rush.
Seems like I remember several teams we played had QBs that could do exactly that. For some reason we shouldn't expect the QB at QBU to be able to. Weird, huh?

When in doubt always put a premium on players that put up insane numbers in Fla. Gore had some sick numbers and I think he had a game with like 400 yds rushing or close to it like by the 3rd qtr. Richards crazy numbers and records. Lo same thing. And perry brokeCaulpepper’s record here in Fla. so we have 3 players on our roster that have numbers in this state that stand amongst some of the best. I think sh.t is about to get real.

Saw quite a few passes where the QB had to either hold onto the ball or take a check-down, which means our DB's were doing their thing.

Redwine made a really nice pick on a seam route.
Bandy made a RIDICULOUS pick on a quick slant. The way he jumped the route was incredible. Would've been a pick-6. It was different than the pick-6 against ND. This time he was in a press-man coverage and he jumped in front of the slant route of the man he was locked up on.

I didn't see too many situations where our DB's would've had to play the ball deep and turn their heads. I only remember a couple deep balls. One was under-thrown and knocked down, the other was a completion when Hightower burned Ivey.
The Bandy part was very encouraging.... Secondary will be impressive

It’s never that simple.

Kaaya hit simple passes routinely. There are always trade offs.
All options we have at qb are mobile. Does that not nullify kaayas trade off which was he had zero pocket presence & routinely would get flustered under contact hence why we ran so many basic routes... sorry if i got into lecture mode.

Advertisement
Back