Scrimmage news

Advertisement
Dallas has put on weight.

As long as he carries it fine and maintains speed and quickness, we’re good to go.

Don’t need a 2013 Duke Johnson out there (Speaking strictly from a nutrition standpoint - we all know Duke gained too much weight too fast. He still balled out....but he was a much better player when he lost a few pounds in 2014).

One guy.

Remember last year we were assured by every legit expert that Rosier had zero chance. My point is, it’s too early to tell who the leader is. Could be anybody come August. Known sauces were dead wrong last year.

We’re 3 days into spring practice fellas. Don’t blow your load on the QB situation. Or RB either.

Now, the soapy ****: totally legit.
I completely understand where you are coming from but IMO these are different situations.

When I read the above it just rings true. We know what type of talent and potential Perry possesses and we also know the type of limitations Rosier has. Last year as a 4th year junior, Rosier was able to step up his game enough to beat out 2 true freshmen, a glorified walk on and a red shirt freshman with no mobility.

With a year to learn under his belt, it seems very plausible that Perry is now comfortable enough to let his natural ability shine through. Personally I think Perry will win the job and that over the course of the season Jarren Williams rises to the #2 spot in the QB depth chart although it is likely more probable that Williams red shirts in order to create seperation between him and Perry. Rosier adds value as an experienced backup.

Last edited:
Hope we continue ton get nice updates about Perry as the Spring progresses. With that said, I hope guys don't get all giddy about hyped up practices.

I believe Dallas should be our #1 RB and homer #2. Homer succeeds with only about 15 carries. And I think they compliment each other real well. Give Dallas 20. Da gawd 5-10.
Somewhere close to that ratio.
Yeah they do compliment each other well.

Dallas: "Yo Travis you a cool dude, and a good rb"
Homer: "thanks Dallas, you're a gentleman and a scholar"

Advertisement
I think ppl are sleeping on what Homer and Dallas will do this season. I think Homer remains the featured back barring injury and DeeJay has to get the ball. A trio is fine. Abundance of richest.
exactly this! Why we gotta have one guy, or why does Homer only need 15 carries a game. We've finally got 3-4 RBs who can be starting RBs on a lot of other teams. Lets use them all man. Lets worry the **** out of defenses knowing we can bring in RB1, RB2, RB3 or RB4 and you'll have to be ready for them.

Advertisement
He looked really good. Throws were right on the money. Jarren Williams does not look like an EE freshman (in terms of weight/body). DJ Dallas looked very comfortable fielding punts. He has added weight and his lower body looks powerful. I had to double check the roster and make sure it was Redwine, he looks physically imposing.

Advertisement
exactly this! Why we gotta have one guy, or why does Homer only need 15 carries a game. We've finally got 3-4 RBs who can be starting RBs on a lot of other teams. Lets use them all man. Lets worry the **** out of defenses knowing we can bring in RB1, RB2, RB3 or RB4 and you'll have to be ready for them.

Dee Jay will get touches in other roles likely punt returner, will be involved in some wildcat packages (like last year), and in the slot as a receiver. He will be our swiss army knife on offense. Doubt he will be strictly used as a rb. This will leave carry opportunities for Lingard and Homer. Like what has been said: an abundance of riches.

Advertisement
I was at practice on Saturday.

*None of the QB's looked THAT good. They were okay. Quite a few INT's were thrown. Weldon, Rosier and Williams all threw picks. I don't recall one from Perry. I do remember him dropping an absolute dime to Hightower though. Just based off what I saw on Saturday I'd have to say that Perry is our #1.

*We weren't very innovative on offense but it's only spring and 3/4 of our QB's are young. We'll see how that develops.

*Rosier's really bad. Like reallllllllly bad. He's still throwing bubble screens into the dirt. Jeff Thomas had to dive to catch one, which ended up being a 2 yard loss. Fumbled a snap or two as well.

*Jon Garvin, Joe Jackson and (especially) Greg Rousseau are absolute freaks. Me and my coaching buddy were in complete shock watching Rousseau. He looks like a Jason Taylor clone and he's very physical for a kid who's still supposed to be in high school. The way he was punching/separating during run/inside drills...MY GOD.

*Looked like Smith was running with the 1's at Sam Linebacker. Garvin at LE and Jackson at RE.

*Our DT depth is atrocious. Losing our starting DT's really hurt. With those 2 guys back, our whole DL unit would've looked elite.

*Mark my words: Lawrence Cager is gonna have a breakout year and elevate himself into an early draft pick. He's gonna put himself on the national radar this year. He's an impressive site to see in person. Not only is he massive, but his knee bend for a guy his size/height is rare. Usually 6'5" WR's are stiff and struggle to bend (get in and out of their breaks). He's impressive.

*Our practice tempo is awesome. Lots of intensity. No bullsh!ttin. Guys are...eh em...FLYING AROUND.

*I like Coach Simpson. That is all.

*Our younger players are clearly on a different level than our Golden recruits. Our young WR's and (especially) DB's look very impressive. Hightower is a grown man already. The young DB's are all long and well put together.

*Our TE's are embarrassingly bad. They don't belong here. The Freshmans can't get here soon enough. Mallory was there and he's a good looking kid. Long.

*Chopped it up with my paisano Vinny Scavo. We talked about the last 2 regimes (Shannon and Golden) and the current state of our program. He's been around the team a long time and he said "we're getting there" and that this is the best looking team we've had in a while. He said losing the DT's really hurt but overall we look good. He's really on board with Richt and kept talking about what a "great man" he is, how he genuinely cares about the kids.

*Saw Richt chew-out Jaquan Johnson for a bit. That was fun. LOL

*Was impressed with how welcoming and personable everybody was. Even the team chaplain approached us and asked us where we were from and so on. Chopped it up with us for a good 20 minutes before moving on. This goes a long way in recruiting, making local coaches feel welcome and like they're part of the family. That didn't exist under Shannon and under Golden it came across as fabricated. (which from what I've heard, was Golden's MO anyway)

And finally, the most impressive thing I saw all day...

*Lorenzo MF'ing Lingard. That kid is on another level. Not only is he built like a brick ****house, but his burst is unreal. He's downhill RIGHT NOW. On several occasions my buddy and I went "**** who the **** was that?!" and it was #1.
Homer and Dallas are great, but IMO Lingard is just on another level. He's on that elite level of some of our previous/great RB's. It makes sense why he was ranked so high. There's no way he's kept off the field next season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back