Savion Riley Portal

It’s much simpler than people are making it. We signed a starting caliber corner. That moves Powell from nickel to his preferred safety spot. Riley was supposed to be in that safety spot but moving Powell bumps him to second team. Now we’re finding out that he was being passed up by Williams and Patterson so a guy who was penciled in as a starter had fallen to third team safety and transferred out. No secret agenda. Pretty basic.

Advertisement
Come on! That scenario can't happen in NFL let alone College. Maybe some day College will have same rules as NFL regarding releases.
Players can only enroll in schools during enrollment windows. I don’t think anyone actually believes that a player would be able to transfer to another team mid season, let alone mid game.

Maybe they do and they’re idiots but I have to assume most of us aren’t quite that stupid.

It’s much simpler than people are making it. We signed a starting caliber corner. That moves Powell from nickel to his preferred safety spot. Riley was supposed to be in that safety spot but moving Powell bumps him to second team. Now we’re finding out that he was being passed up by Williams and Patterson so a guy who was penciled in as a starter had fallen to third team safety and transferred out. No secret agenda. Pretty basic.
If he was actually passed up by Markeith Williams.... yikes.

Markeith is borderline unplayable himself. Plays out of control and hits hard but can't tackle at the same time.

Markeith is borderline unplayable himself. Plays out of control and hits hard but can't tackle at the same time.
Just going by what D Money and other sources report. I have no information myself. I do know that Patterson has been pushing for a rotational role since he stepped on campus. So even if Williams is terrible, there’s still another safety jumping Riley

Just going by what D Money and other sources report. I have no information myself. I do know that Patterson has been pushing for a rotational role since he stepped on campus. So even if Williams is terrible, there’s still another safety jumping Riley
Patterson is definitely playing a lot this year. I think everyone would be thrilled if he could be 80% of what Kenny Phillips was as a true freshman

Advertisement
I’ll walk you through it

1. We needed a safety in the winter
2. He took a spot
3. He didn’t even make it to the fall without hitting the portal, meaning he wasn’t going to play a ton or lost his spot.

In fact, how can you say a player that you take and then hits the portal a few months later isn’t a bad eval?
Jeez. Wasn't this guy projected as a starter? Where was he on the depth chart?

EDIT: Nevermind. My question was answered a few posts back.

I know it was over a year ago but I liked what I saw from him in garbage time vs. GT in 2022. He just needed to fill out more. Hopefully he has and is ready to contribute some more.

has anyone seen him this spring? He still looked skinny against Rutgers.

Advertisement
I'm telling you...

there will be a moment when a player leaves a team in 2Q and comes out dressed for the other team in 3Q.

#RecognizeMySkillz
#YouThinkI'mJoking
Maybe not quite that drastic, but I could see a scenario where this happens....

....imagine a local company for National Championship Game Team A makes a $35M offer to the quarterback of National Championship Game Team B, five days before the title game. Team B is like Florida State, with unproven backups and an offense built completely around the unique skills of their quarterback.

Team B's quarterback accepts the offer, and joins Team A two days before the national championship game. He's not playing, but he's getting $35M to ride the bench.

This is in a world where NCAA rules and transfer portal windows have been totally shredded by court decisions.

That said, in your scenario Team B then offers $50M to their former quarterback at half-time. He has ten minutes to accept. And he does, rejoining his former team for the second half.

He was unable to tackle anyone on the bowl game! An undersized safety that now the insiders said he is coming..

He was unable to tackle anyone on the bowl game! An undersized safety that now the insiders said he is coming..
Even if Riley THOUGHT that MW could pass him up maybe that still was enough for him. Rolling the dice is something you cant do right now..last shot to transfer out and find another team.

Remember there were rumors that Clark took JHHs spot and that was the real reason he transferred. If you trying to get legit PT or be a starter..you cant take any chances anymore. Its go now or risk sitting the bench for the 2024 season.

Advertisement

....imagine a local company for National Championship Game Team A makes a $35M offer to the quarterback of National Championship Game Team B, five days before the title game. Team B is like Florida State, with unproven backups and an offense built completely around the unique skills of their quarterback.

Team B's quarterback accepts the offer, and joins Team A two days before the national championship game. He's not playing, but he's getting $35M to ride the bench.

This is in a world where NCAA rules and transfer portal windows have been totally shredded by court decisions.

That said, in your scenario Team B then offers $50M to their former quarterback at half-time. He has ten minutes to accept. And he does, rejoining his former team for the second half.
jBL7J2czJjUVukH2Bk.gif

Patterson is definitely playing a lot this year. I think everyone would be thrilled if he could be 80% of what Kenny Phillips was as a true freshman

During one of the media Q&A Guidry all out glowed about Patterson. Said he was everything he could ever want just needed experience. Paraphrasing but that was the gist. I have no doubt he’ll be a Kinchens or Quan Johnson who starts at some point during the season.

Advertisement

The Goldbergs What GIF by ABC Network

Couldn’t happen. You have to be enrolled to be eligible to play football. Regardless of transfer rules, you have to enroll in school during designated enrollment periods. It would be like transferring schools mid semester because you heard the mid term at another school is easier to pass.

We should take the evidence that the spring game gave us. Riley got relatively few snaps, even though he had an orange jersey on. The first 4 DB's were Powell, Harris, Porter, and Richard, with Pruitt in a LB role. When they went to 5 DB, Damari Brown got out there. Riley was behind all of those guys.

Advertisement
Back