Sam Waardenburg

fraggle

Senile Senior

Love this kid, I remember two years ago Coach K commented how sound a player he is. Considering we don't have a legitimate backup for him, he works hard and even though he isn't NBA talentwise, he is an excellent college player. Based on Coach K's comments I'd bet he tries to make Sam work hard tomorrow. Nice that Sam got that rebound, got it to Moore and soon enough to get the winning layup. As an all around player for this particular team, I'd vote him MVP this year and think last year would've been better if he wasn't out hurt.

Advertisement
I like Sam, as well as the whole team. If Sam had muscle then this board would have to look elsewhere to complain, even with are top 4 finish and
advancing to the semi finals.

Love this kid, I remember two years ago Coach K commented how sound a player he is. Considering we don't have a legitimate backup for him, he works hard and even though he isn't NBA talentwise, he is an excellent college player. Based on Coach K's comments I'd bet he tries to make Sam work hard tomorrow. Nice that Sam got that rebound, got it to Moore and soon enough to get the winning layup. As an all around player for this particular team, I'd vote him MVP this year and think last year would've been better if he wasn't out hurt.

I think we all like Sam. As a Miami fan, if you can't appreciate someone giving 6 years of their life to this program then I don't know what to tell ya. That said he is not the team MVP for this season. I'd give that award to one of the guards.

ACC head coaches and sports media have voted for the year, and Wong and Moore and Kam all found themselves amidst the top rankings, but not the subject of this thread... i guess cause Coach K only gets one vote, of course he should have more say.

Advertisement
Sam has had a good season. His he a star? no However he has played up to his potential this season
I suppose it depends upon exactly how you define "good season"... this thread started off with OP suggesting MVP. Sam has actually played better, considering the entire season, than I certainly expected. There were times he absolutely sparkled. And other times he was adequate, which when Charlie and Kam and Wong and Jordan are on their game, is enough to beat most teams...

His lapses were what I expected, and his slow, lazy, uninspiring moments were less than previous years. I wish he could be energized and inspired more... I think Walker and Charlie at least do that. I wish we can put it in a bottle and make Sam drink while he is fixing his laces.

I suppose it depends upon exactly how you define "good season"... this thread started off with OP suggesting MVP. Sam has actually played better, considering the entire season, than I certainly expected. There were times he absolutely sparkled. And other times he was adequate, which when Charlie and Kam and Wong and Jordan are on their game, is enough to beat most teams...

His lapses were what I expected, and his slow, lazy, uninspiring moments were less than previous years. I wish he could be energized and inspired more... I think Walker and Charlie at least do that. I wish we can put it in a bottle and make Sam drink while he is fixing his laces.
Well said, yet again. It’s ok to appreciate the player and commitment he made to UM over the years while also admitting he’s limited in skill which leads to some (as you said) uninspiring moments

I disagree that Sam gets lazy. I think his problem is moreso that he gets timid. When his first couple of shots don't fall, he doesn't even attempt to try to play offense. And sometimes, he is too timid on the glass.

Advertisement
I disagree that Sam gets lazy. I think his problem is moreso that he gets timid. When his first couple of shots don't fall, he doesn't even attempt to try to play offense. And sometimes, he is too timid on the glass.

I'm not sure its being lazy as it is having two guys in Rodney and Dak on the bench that we are unable to play more than a couple minutes a game. This season has been a grind on him

I get what you are saying. I said "lazy moments" because he looks lazy at times when he just meanders aimlessly, take his sweet time getting back (compared to hustling Moore and others) and maybe its timid, but being passive as opposed to aggressive is a lazy "look". I wish I knew what was the root cause as he does have his sparkling moments and at times makes critical sparkling contributions. I guess Coach L wishes he knew as well. My idea recently was to sit Sam more when he's less inspired and play Walker or whomever, but not at all sure that would work, or that Walker or others wouldn't make things worse. Sigh.

Advertisement
Sam is what Sam is. People here rip him, and then you look at the boxscore and he had 9 points, 9 rebounds and 3 blocks.
We can agree to disagree about Sam's value and performance. You can remember (cite) his 9 points and 9 total rebounds versus BC, I can cite his 3 total rebounds versus Duke yesterday, and 5 total rebounds the game before (and 3 points) versus Syracuse. I also recall frequently seeing his passive performance on the glass where I'm constantly saying (as as are many others) "Cmon Sam". But what really came to mind just now is the one yesterday he tried to grabtap with one hand (failing miserably), when any 6'10 player worth a dang in my opinion shoulda corralled that one easily... he was also 0 for 2 from FT, but hey, I sincerely know he can shoot well, I've always said at warm-ups he was even more accurate at 3's then DJ.

I'm more positive on the players including Sam because I feel they all dramatically outperformed expectations. So I agree Sam was very valuable to the team. But MVP is clearly Charlie. The team is significantly better, every one of them, when he's on the court.

Advertisement
Sam is being asked to do too much though. Get a legit big man, and Sam's shortcomings are masked.
Running the floor, contesting shots and rebounding is not asking too much. Sam has displayed an ability to do all those things well when he's active, playing with high energy and effort. I might've agreed that playing heavy minutes might be the reason, but there have been numerous times where he starts the game awful and ends it playing well. So that theory gets no credence.

I like Sam, as well as the whole team. If Sam had muscle then this board would have to look elsewhere to complain, even with are top 4 finish and
advancing to the semi finals.
That "muscle" take is right on. Sam mighta benefited from a S&C program. He plays a lot smaller than his 6'10 frame. Still, he had a good season and we were fortunate he came back. With any of our starters, you could make a case we wouldnt be in the NCAAT without any one of them.

Statistically, it looked like Sam may have just had another average game in the W over Auburn. But I just finished watching the game and I thought Sam was superb. I know I've been critical of him in the past, but also want to take the time to commend him for playing so well. One of the best games I've seen from him. I think he did a good job contesting shots. May not have come away with double digit rebounds but he battled and had a hand in tipping a number of loose balls to teammates when he couldn't grab them himself. Also, loved his competitiveness and toughness. If we can get a few more games from him like this, there's no telling how far this team can go. GO CANES!!!

1648097883721.webp

Advertisement
Back