Sam Waardenburg (status?)

Let's not get too "carried away" about Sam's recent play. I only just started to say his name again, and he still shows too many "old Sam" moments. But heck, nice turnaround.

Advertisement
Walker sometimes looks awful. Frankly, every Cane "sometimes" looks awful. But (compared to similar height Sam) he excels in energy and is abundantly fast and athletic for a big man. Just like J. Miller, I suspect (hope? want?) him to play more and maybe overcome his gaps and flaws with seasoning, coaching, and playing time. Adequate shooting and less mishaps seem to accompany the hustle when he plays more. I'm no coach, by miles of course, but: Hope you are listening, Coach L.

Walker sometimes looks awful. Frankly, every Cane "sometimes" looks awful. But (compared to similar height Sam) he excels in energy and is abundantly fast and athletic for a big man. Just like J. Miller, I suspect (hope? want?) him to play more and maybe overcome his gaps and flaws with seasoning, coaching, and playing time. Adequate shooting and less mishaps seem to accompany the hustle when he plays more. I'm no coach, by miles of course, but: Hope you are listening, Coach L.

Players say if I play more, I will play well.

Coaches (the good ones) say if you play well, you will play more.

Advertisement
Not sure what that says about the current (senior loving) Coach L: Sam mostly does NOT play "well", but seems to constantly play "more".

Not accurate.

Sam plays well more often than not. He has limitations but he has been a terrific contributor.

The ratio of boneheaded plays between Walker and Sam is at least 5 to 1. I say that being a fan of Walker’s potential… but he’s got a lot of work to do to get to where he needs to be.

Not accurate.

Sam plays well more often than not. He has limitations but he has been a terrific contributor.

The ratio of boneheaded plays between Walker and Sam is at least 5 to 1. I say that being a fan of Walker’s potential… but he’s got a lot of work to do to get to where he needs to be.
Agreed. Sam has looked a lot better than in past years and without a doubt is our best big man right now. Do think Walker should get more minutes though. There will be games where the matchup makes it a necessity. When Sam comes out of the game, it should always be Walker who comes in for him. Dak and Miller have shown that they don't need to be on the floor unless we're up 20+ and the outcome of the game is no longer in question.

Agreed. Sam has looked a lot better than in past years and without a doubt is our best big big right now. Do think Walker should get more minutes though. There will be games where the matchup makes it a necessity.
He is progressing for sure. He gave some really good minutes tonight. And we definitely need it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back