Rooster to SMU?

Advertisement
there is never a low light film though is there? I actually hate doing this because I like Lashlee and Knighton. Knighton plays like he loves football and loves competing. His body looks like a person that doesn't want to put in the work in the offseason. DNA wise, he has tiny hips, he was never gonna be 215lbs but he could have at least put some effort in the weight room. It at least, from the outside, doesn't look like he ever has. looks exactly the same as when he came in. Lashlee is a solid offensive coach but he got extremely lucky that TVD took off in the second half of his first start against UVA. His offense was stagnant with King unless King was improvising and playing backyard football. TVD took the passing game to a different level. Still his offense took entire halves off whether it was turnovers or penalties. It was actually always the first half.

Ppl forget all of this. They remember the boom plays, & I get it; why wouldn’t u when we just witnessed an offense that made the 1800’s look like high octane football. Ppl remember the highlights & forget the plethora of low lights. I’m pretty sure Lashlee was given the title Asshlee b/c of his play calling while here, but let’s ignore all of that.

If you mean what I think you mean...not a chance....why? Because everyone is dirty in that aspect
didnt mean that at all but that is an interesting question you raise. I was only questioning how quick Lashlee was to accept all these former Canes in the Portal. I certainly understand Roberts and Miller. Both of them shouldn't have left Miami. Key Smith and Knighton are a dime a dozen for SMU, they can get good skilled athletes

Advertisement
there is never a low light film though is there? I actually hate doing this because I like Lashlee and Knighton. Knighton plays like he loves football and loves competing. His body looks like a person that doesn't want to put in the work in the offseason. DNA wise, he has tiny hips, he was never gonna be 215lbs but he could have at least put some effort in the weight room. It at least, from the outside, doesn't look like he ever has. looks exactly the same as when he came in. Lashlee is a solid offensive coach but he got extremely lucky that TVD took off in the second half of his first start against UVA. His offense was stagnant with King unless King was improvising and playing backyard football. TVD took the passing game to a different level. Still his offense took entire halves off whether it was turnovers or penalties. It was actually always the first half.
Minor point but I sat very close to RB bench all season. Last game I saw Rooster and man his arms were jacked. Not to say he’s not limited in terms of body type, but his arms were bigger than his head. I think he put on whatever weight his body can take without adding bad weight. Obviously with pads hard to see the rest.

didnt mean that at all but that is an interesting question you raise. I was only questioning how quick Lashlee was to accept all these former Canes in the Portal. I certainly understand Roberts and Miller. Both of them shouldn't have left Miami. Key Smith and Knighton are a dime a dozen for SMU, they can get good skilled athletes
I don't think Smith & Knighton are dime a dozen at SMU. They're the type of talents any G5 team would love to have.

I'd expect both to be pretty big contributors at SMU next year.

Advertisement
I don't think Smith & Knighton are dime a dozen at SMU. They're the type of talents any G5 team would love to have.

I'd expect both to be pretty big contributors at SMU next year.
Knighton is definitely a level up player for a school like SMU.

If you recall, though, Keyshawn Smith was a guy we got from a Washington State commitment. His other offers were like Boise, Colorado State, Fresno. He could be a good soldier for SMU, but he's an SMU level recruit.

Knighton is definitely a level up player for a school like SMU.

If you recall, though, Keyshawn Smith was a guy we got from a Washington State commitment. His other offers were like Boise, Colorado State, Fresno. He could be a good soldier for SMU, but he's an SMU level recruit.
I may just have a higher opinion on Smith than most. IMO he's flashed more than other guys still here like Ladson/Redding/George/Smith. That's the toughest group to outperform though

2021 - He was our #3/4 WR behind Rambo & Harley. His numbers were basically the same as X. 2022 - He was leading us in receiving through our first 5 games before stopped being used. He was a great KR this year too.

I don't expect Knighton or Smith to be #1 guys at SMU (although it wouldn't surprise me), but I'd expect both to be #2 types with a good amount of usage.

I may just have a higher opinion on Smith than most. IMO he's flashed more than other guys still here like Ladson/Redding/George/Smith. That's the toughest group to outperform though

2021 - He was our #3/4 WR behind Rambo & Harley. His numbers were basically the same as X. 2022 - He was leading us in receiving through our first 5 games before stopped being used. He was a great KR this year too.

I don't expect Knighton or Smith to be #1 guys at SMU (although it wouldn't surprise me), but I'd expect both to be #2 types with a good amount of usage.
He's a good player. Its a shame things didn't work out here...I'm just saying as a prospect, he's in line with something SMU would get.

If you look at SMU's roster, Smith would be WR4 from a composite score. He's better than that, but his prospect type isn't abnormal at SMU, is all. A P5 WR3/4 type going to a G5 and being like a WR2/3 is in the wheelhouse of normal outcomes, so I can see him being a #2 type. But, Rashee Rice is graduating...there is a lot of marketshare open for the X WR in Lashlee's offense. But, lots of transfer competition.

Jordan Kerley from Arizona State, Teddy Knox from MissSt, Moochie Dixon from Texas, and now Keyshawn Smith from Miami. Competition for sure.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He's a good player. Its a shame things didn't work out here...I'm just saying as a prospect, he's in line with something SMU would get.

If you look at SMU's roster, Smith would be WR4 from a composite score. He's better than that, but his prospect type isn't abnormal at SMU, is all. A P5 WR3/4 type going to a G5 and being like a WR2/3 is in the wheelhouse of normal outcomes, so I can see him being a #2 type. But, Rashee Rice is graduating...there is a lot of marketshare open for the X WR in Lashlee's offense. But, lots of transfer competition.

Jordan Kerley from Arizona State, Teddy Knox from MissSt, Moochie Dixon from Texas, and now Keyshawn Smith from Miami. Competition for sure.
100% agree. What I think Smith has going for him is - Smith & X came in as #600/700 type recruits, and both rose up over much higher rates WR's like Wiggins/Pope/Redding/Worsham/Brinson/George, etc. So Smith will have competition, but he's already overcome more (on paper) competition at Miami than he'll see at SMU. He was also more productive than any of the 3 SMU WR's you mentioned and he did it under Lashlee. I definitely agree isn't a given, and he'll have plenty of competition - but I like the odds of ending up a Top 2 WR of SMU's offense.

With Knighton - I expect him to be the #2 RB behind 5* Alabama transfer Camar Wheaton. But Wheaton was surprisingly not very productive last year, so we'll see.

Lashlee is building a nice team and it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Advertisement
Didn't they get a 5* transfer last year too.
Camar Wheaton played at SMU last year. If SMU gets LJ Johnson - there's a very real possibility Knighton just transferred into a more talented backfield

1671573009132.png

Camar Wheaton played at SMU last year. If SMU gets LJ Johnson - there's a very real possibility Knighton just transferred into a more talented backfield

View attachment 221314

Those Texas schools (like the Florida schools) should always stack top Portal talent. Just off of kids being homesick and wanting playing time. I'll be watching SMU a lot next season to see how he uses those Canes.

View attachment 221314
I doubt Lash brought Knigton in to be his bell cow. He knows how to scheme him in space for swing passes. That’s probably what he’ll do with him and let another one of those highly-touted RBs do the heavy lifting.

Advertisement
Back