RHP Reese Lumpkin commits to Miami

View as article
This is maybe me showing baseball isn't something I pay as much attention to for various reasons. But when is someone considered a strike thrower who has 26 walks in 67 innings? Legit question, no dig. But is that considered even an acceptable ratio now let alone good?
that would be slightly below average at best.

Advertisement
He hit 13 batters and threw 12 WP in 13 games. WHIP doesn't include HBP, so his 1.57 is little deceiving.

There's another guy on their roster with similar numbers, but two noticeable differences.

Reese Lumpkin
13 G
2-8
5.10 ERA
66.2 IP
HR 66
BB 26
HBP 13
WP 15
H 77
SO 55

Riley Huge
13 G
5-5
5.27 ERA
67 IP
HR 67
BB 29
HBP 13
WP 12
H 56
SO 111

He's wild and doesn't get enough strikeouts to make it worth it. Does he even have an out pitch? Or is it all wild fastballs?

Walters is at the draft combine. While he isn’t his brother I think some scouts see a similar repertoire and may take him late.
I think the injuries scare teams off. Gives him reason to come back and feel like he can improve his stock as well.

Herick is the one that I think surprisingly gets picked and goes. He has the stuff. He also could be a huge asset for our staff next year imo.

He hit 13 batters and threw 12 WP in 13 games. WHIP doesn't include HBP, so his 1.57 is little deceiving.

There's another guy on their roster with similar numbers, but two noticeable differences.

Reese Lumpkin
13 G
2-8
5.10 ERA
66.2 IP
HR 66
BB 26
HBP 13
WP 15
H 77
SO 55

Riley Huge
13 G
5-5
5.27 ERA
67 IP
HR 67
BB 29
HBP 13
WP 12
H 56
SO 111

He's wild and doesn't get enough strikeouts to make it worth it. Does he even have an out pitch? Or is it all wild fastballs?
Glad it's not just me. I don't see any possible good outcome with this kid. We all acknowledged several large issues. Combine that with the fact he definitely needs development. Well I can't particularly remember the last time jd could be counted on for development. Seems like a decent while to me.

I think the injuries scare teams off. Gives him reason to come back and feel like he can improve his stock as well.

Herick is the one that I think surprisingly gets picked and goes. He has the stuff. He also could be a huge asset for our staff next year imo.
Need those two arms to come back.
Not a lot of film on Walters. I thought he was shutting it down for the summer?

Advertisement

Listen, I’m trying my damnest to be patient & objective w/ these “sophisticated/innovative” portal pick ups, but my anger is rising.

1. Like @WeBallinBoyz I scout baseball thoroughly. When u attend a baseball school, & ur friends & classmates play long, successful careers at the MLB level, it’s hard not to pick up a thing or two.

2. This “kid” will be going into his 5th yr here. So far at lower level ball, he’s a career 2-11 pitcher. He gave up more HR this past season, than his first 3 combined. He hit more batters this yr than his 3 yrs combined. He has a horrible BB to SO ratio which is 2:1, & giving up 77 hits in 67 innings pitched along w/ 49 R is absolutely nasty work. This is at the lower level, Big South.

Really not seeing the upside in this besides he “looks” the part. His whole career has been a struggle at the lower level.

Last edited:
This is the innovative approach, pick the low hanging fruit of beating weaker mid week teams. win more games than we did this year for incremental improvement.
So is this our culture, context and Thomas Gore year so that 2 years from now JD can be in "win now mode" and we can start getting our Cam Ward years in?

Last edited:

Listen, I’m trying my damnest to be patient & objective w/ these “sophisticated” portal pick ups, but my anger is rising.

1. Like @WeBallinBoyz I scout baseball thoroughly. When u attend a baseball school, & ur friends & classmates play long, successful careers at the MLB level, it’s hard not to pick up a thing or two.

2. This “kid” will be going into his 5th yr here. So far at lower level ball, he’s a career 2-11 pitcher. He gave up more HR this past season, than his first 3 combined. He hit more batters this yr than his 3 yrs combined. He has a horrible BB to SO ratio which is 2:1, & giving up 77 hits in 67 innings pitched along w/ 49 R is absolutely nasty work. This is at the lower level, Big South.

Really not seeing the upside in this besides he “looks” the part. His whole career has been a struggle at the lower level.

For the record… big south conference baseball is weighted more strongly as a conference than the Big 10 when trying to analyze these guys in the portal and rank them and doing a conference or competition adjustment.

Numbers prior to 2024 = super concerning

Leap he made from 2023 - 2024 = very promising

Is there more in the tank and more room to improve and what is his actual in-game velo are my questions. I’m sure it’s not 94-95 like we see at Tread. More 91-92

Riley Huge from Winthrop is a stud and had similar ERA but the K numbers are drastically different. Huge is a guy that could be a 1st rounder if developed properly at place like Wake, UF, UT, etc… this kid has nothing close to that potential

Listen, I’m trying my damnest to be patient & objective w/ these “sophisticated/innovative” portal pick ups, but my anger is rising.

This is me to the fullest. I’m trying…and I do think these kids are better than what we had on the bottom of our roster.

So while they think we will be better mid week. I feel like we are trending down in conference. But maybe year 2 with this staff we see massive jumps from the few returnees we have…and if we somehow…even just a 1% chance got Herick/Rafe/Walters back and one of our top 2-3 high school arms ended up on campus…or even3/4 of those happen…I’ll become optimistic that we win a few more and get back in the post season. Pretty low bar…sadly

Advertisement
This is me to the fullest. I’m trying…and I do think these kids are better than what we had on the bottom of our roster.

So while they think we will be better mid week. I feel like we are trending down in conference. But maybe year 2 with this staff we see massive jumps from the few returnees we have…and if we somehow…even just a 1% chance got Herick/Rafe/Walters back and one of our top 2-3 high school arms ended up on campus…or even3/4 of those happen…I’ll become optimistic that we win a few more and get back in the post season. Pretty low bar…sadly
Yep all these moves with arms are improving our mid-week. Don’t see much weekend difference.

Improve the superficial/surface results and make it seem better than it is

They are still pursuing weekend arms heavily. We need Friday and Saturday, at least.

I don't know much about Lumpkin, but hopefully these transfers accomplish two goals: (1) improve our pitching depth, which killed us in the pen and midweek; (2) improve the overall stuff on the roster. They still have some upside on top of being more experienced than the guys we relied upon last year. Overall, they are bigger and more athletic with bigger arms than guys like Chestnutt.

Glad it's not just me. I don't see any possible good outcome with this kid. We all acknowledged several large issues. Combine that with the fact he definitely needs development. Well I can't particularly remember the last time jd could be counted on for development. Seems like a decent while to me.
This is what's being forgotten in all this. For all the talk about potential and upside (which I'm skeptical about), everybody seems to forget that JD still has to actually develop him!

Reese's 4 years of awful pitching combined with JD's track record of development. I'm not buying it. I'd be shocked if it works out.

We're going to find out what Laz is made of as a pitching coach this year for sure.

Advertisement
They are still pursuing weekend arms heavily. We need Friday and Saturday, at least.

I don't know much about Lumpkin, but hopefully these transfers accomplish two goals: (1) improve our pitching depth, which killed us in the pen and midweek; (2) improve the overall stuff on the roster. They still have some upside on top of being more experienced than the guys we relied upon last year. Overall, they are bigger and more athletic with bigger arms than guys like Chestnutt.
We keep hearing guys we are getting bigger and more athletic but look at some of our top pitchers from recent years. I don’t remember Van Belle, Bryan Radzieski, Chris Diaz, Jeb Bargfeldt, Federman, etc all being that big and athletic. Rosario was both with amazing stuff and was one of the worst starters in a canes uniform over the last 30 + years and look at what he’s doing now.

I’d rather see us going after the guys who know how to pitch instead of the guys who have all the tools that have to be molded into a final product. Because we really haven’t don’t that for a long time. Cecconi, Palmquist, McMahon, Walters, Ziehl were pretty much all the same product when they got here to when they left with just some typical maturation throughout their careers.

Advertisement
Back