PSU is done...

Were the penalties based entirely on the Sandusky scandal or did they also take into account the numerous arrests of PSU football players over the last decade, many of which never resulted in suspensions?

It reads as if the Sandusky scandal was the only thing that influenced this.
It might be difficult to separate the two. A lot of the issues around preferential treatment given to football players (relative to disciplinary action) surfaced as a result of the Sandusky scandal, as describe in this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...ent-penn-state-football-report_n_1109244.html
A former Penn State official charged with enforcing discipline at the school said Tuesday that Joe Paterno's players got in trouble more often than other students, and got special treatment compared to non-athletes...
Paterno "is insistent he knows best how to discipline his players ... and their status as a student when they commit violations of our standards should NOT be our concern ... and I think he was saying we should treat football players different from other students in this regard," Triponey wrote in the Aug. 12, 2005, email.

"Coach Paterno would rather we NOT inform the public when a football player is found responsible for committing a serious violation of the law and/or our student code," she wrote, "despite any moral or legal obligation to do so."

The email surfaced as Penn State is reeling in the aftermath of criminal charges filed this month against Jerry Sandusky, a former assistant football coach accused of molesting eight boys, some on campus, over a 15-year period...

"Many times, (because of) the pressure placed on us by the president or the football coach, eventually, we would end up doing sanctions that were not what another student would've got," she said. "It was much less. It was adapted to try to accommodate the concerns of the coach."
Most of the media attention has focused specifically on Sandusky, which some are arguing should have been strictly a criminal matter. However, when deliberating on the sanctions I suspect the NCAA also took into consideration the overall atmosphere that Paterno created independent of the Sandusky scandal.

Advertisement
Were the penalties based entirely on the Sandusky scandal or did they also take into account the numerous arrests of PSU football players over the last decade, many of which never resulted in suspensions?

It reads as if the Sandusky scandal was the only thing that influenced this.
It might be difficult to separate the two. A lot of the issues around preferential treatment given to football players (relative to disciplinary action) surfaced as a result of the Sandusky scandal, as describe in this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...ent-penn-state-football-report_n_1109244.html
A former Penn State official charged with enforcing discipline at the school said Tuesday that Joe Paterno's players got in trouble more often than other students, and got special treatment compared to non-athletes...
Paterno "is insistent he knows best how to discipline his players ... and their status as a student when they commit violations of our standards should NOT be our concern ... and I think he was saying we should treat football players different from other students in this regard," Triponey wrote in the Aug. 12, 2005, email.

"Coach Paterno would rather we NOT inform the public when a football player is found responsible for committing a serious violation of the law and/or our student code," she wrote, "despite any moral or legal obligation to do so."

The email surfaced as Penn State is reeling in the aftermath of criminal charges filed this month against Jerry Sandusky, a former assistant football coach accused of molesting eight boys, some on campus, over a 15-year period...

"Many times, (because of) the pressure placed on us by the president or the football coach, eventually, we would end up doing sanctions that were not what another student would've got," she said. "It was much less. It was adapted to try to accommodate the concerns of the coach."
Most of the media attention has focused specifically on Sandusky, which some are arguing should have been strictly a criminal matter. However, when deliberating on the sanctions I suspect the NCAA also took into consideration the overall atmosphere that Paterno created independent of the Sandusky scandal.

You may be absolutely correct. Emmert just didn't mention anything other than the scandal during his press conference. That's the only reason I feel like the sanctions are only about the Sandusky stuff, but I could be way off.

I heard the live presser while driving in to work this AM. It's like watching a mushroom cloud on the horizon and saying to yourself dayam, over the hole that's going to be there.

The NCAA's direction in all this has the intent to change the culture from hero worship, win at all costs, and careless and reckless conduct to protecting people....in so many words. The 60 mil goes to children's charities around the country, and is that figure because it equals the amount of a single year's revenue from the football program.

This, beyond the list of sanctions with schollies, transferring, etc. leads me to think the NCAA got it right on this one. Their stated direction in all this has the intent to change the culture from hero worship, win at all costs, and careless and reckless conduct to the focus of protecting people....in so many words.

As for a TV ban not being part of it, the program is so radioactive and will be so mediocre, no one will want to televise them for some time.

Lesson learned? Hope so.

It'll take time to come back from this. It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds over the long term.

Wow they got absolutely hammered. No matter what now when we get are NOA, it is going to seem mild compared to what PSU got.

Advertisement
This actually scares me because very little of this has to do with anything "football related".

This is disturbing.

A college football coach, sodomizes little boys in the penn state football locker room, right next to the head football coaches' office.

Convicted on 45 counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a child, (rape) aggravated indecent assault on a child, corruption of children, unlawful contact with a child, and unlawful contact with a child and endangering the welfare of a child. Several of the offenses occurred between 1998 and 2002, during which time Sandusky was either the Defensive Coordinator for The Pennsylvania State University football team or a Penn State professor Emeritus with unrestricted access to the University’’s football facilities.

McQueary, a penn state football coach testified at a Grand Jury hearing that he met with Curley and Schultz, and told them that he observed sandusky in the shower with a young boy and that he ““thought that some kind of intercourse was going on.”" Head football coach joe paterno testified to the Grand Jury on January 12, 2011 that McQueary described the incident to him as ““fondling”" and ““a sexual nature.”” The conduct described by McQueary and Paterno constitutes the Clery Crime of sexual assault.

A decision by Spanier, Schultz, Paterno and Curley to allow Sandusky to retire in 1999, not as a suspected child predator, but as a valued member of the penn state football legacy,with future “visibility”” at penn state and ways ““to continue to work with young people through penn state,””essentially granting him license to bring boys to campus facilities for ““grooming”” as targets for his assaults. sandusky retained unlimited access to University facilities until November2011.

Paterno elected to protect the university's clean-cut image, instead of the children victimized by Sandusky. This 'clean-cut' image is crucial to the penn state football economy.

Recruiting: Would you play football where the football coaches sodomize little boys?? Would you send your son there?? Would joe have been the winningest head coach without them???

Donations: Would you give money to a school that harbored and abetted a child molester who used a charity to lure children and rape them??

"This is a tragedy," Paterno said. "It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back