Potential lineup for next year

muhammad was playing at san jose state and his other options for transferring were depaul and san francisco. why do people in this thread put him in the starting line up?

Advertisement
anyway, to answer d money's question:

Newton-Reed-Huell-Lawrence-Murphy

this line up doesn't really strike me as small ball? murphy and huell don't quite stretch it like that

a good small ball lineup for us would be

PG newton
SG palmer/brown
SF lawrence
PF reed
C huell

that's a lot of shooting & would be pretty much unguardable. how it would hold up on the defensive end is a different question entirely but it would be worth trying in some scenarios. i think d money's lineup makes more sense as a starting lineup tho.

muhammad was playing at san jose state and his other options for transferring were depaul and san francisco. why do people in this thread put him in the starting line up?
I have the same question.

He's an excellent shooter, but from what highlights I've seen, he's not a pure scorer like Sheldon McClellan, for instance. His game reminds me of Trey McKinney-Jones...just not as athletic as TMJ was.

Jack MClinton was playing at Siena and his other options for transferring were......

Muhammad is legit from everyone I've talked with. He averaged 13 and 14 ppg at SJSU as a Fr and So.

Jack MClinton was playing at Siena and his other options for transferring were......

Muhammad is legit from everyone I've talked with. He averaged 13 and 14 ppg at SJSU as a Fr and So.
Hey - if Muhammad ends up being a JackMac type of shooter...I'm down for that. You always need the "kick" part of the drive & kick to be an above average shooter from deep, and it seems Muhammad is.

Unless he's developed more of his game as a scorer during his RS year, though - that's all I see him as being mainly. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't know that it constitutes a starting spot for him at this point. We'll see.

Advertisement

Hey - if Muhammad ends up being a JackMac type of shooter...I'm down for that. You always need the "kick" part of the drive & kick to be an above average shooter from deep, and it seems Muhammad is.

Unless he's developed more of his game as a scorer during his RS year, though - that's all I see him as being mainly. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't know that it constitutes a starting spot for him at this point. We'll see.

We'll see. The 2 spot will come down to Brown or Muhammad. Palmer won't start. I hope Brown is good enough (I think he is) to win the job.

This lineup I like!

this line up doesn't really strike me as small ball? murphy and huell don't quite stretch it like that

PG newton
SG palmer/brown
SF lawrence
PF reed
C huell

that's a lot of shooting & would be pretty much unguardable. how it would hold up on the defensive end is a different question entirely but it would be worth trying in some scenarios. i think d money's lineup makes more sense as a starting lineup tho.

'Small ball' is definitely the way the game is going, but agreed, Murphy and Huell are post players. With Angel gone, Newton becomes our smallest starter at 6'2. You can then trot out some combination of Reed (6'6), Huell (6'9) and Muhammad (6'6). I think Palmer is a really important bench guy for us and really hope he doesn't transfer. A second unit of Brown - Muhammad - Palmer - ICU - Izendu would be really solid and I'm not even factoring in the Aussie.

PG - Newton/Brown/Marjanovic
SG - Reed/Muhammad/Brown
SF - Huell/Palmer
PF - Lawrence/ICU
C - Murphy/Izendu

This team is stacked next year. McClellan and Jekiri are losses for sure, but Brown and Huell are legit 5 star freshman that should replace them in the aggregate. They are that good.

I don't think you see the needle move much with Angel's departure either. Getting Newton into the starting lineup is big on so many levels. If Muhammad can be a consistent 10-12 PPG performer and Marjanovic contributes, it's gravy.

Last edited:

Trey McKinney Jones was an unknown from UMKC and started at the 2 for an ACC title winning team. Unless you are a highly touted player that's transferring from a 'name' program, you usually don't have too many suitors. I don't like Kamari was considering any other programs and he was a starter for Oklahoma State.

Last edited:
Advertisement

We'll see. The 2 spot will come down to Brown or Muhammad. Palmer won't start. I hope Brown is good enough (I think he is) to win the job.

Brown may be a better prospect than Huell.

I think people are selling Izundu's athleticism at the five short. IMHO he start's there to begin the season. We will need rebounding from him.

This lineup I like!

PG newton
SG palmer/brown
SF lawrence
PF reed
C huell

In no way, shape, or form, is Davon Reed playing the 4.

I don't want to look ahead, but watching some of the trends in the NBA, I wanted to get the board's thoughts on this small-ball lineup for next year:

I've been really impressed with Murphy's toughness and I think the group could get by if they rebound collectively. The length would be crazy on defense and all of those guys are versatile offensively.

It would be a big change from Gamble/Kadji/Reggie and Tonye/ICU but could it work?

Muhammad has to play himself off the starting 5. He has had a year of practice. Lawrence is the 6th man. It will be interesting to see how much Ebuka Izundu has improved. That's a wild card.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Dude its like expecting KD to develop a back to the basket game. Maybe its something he works on when he gets to the pros but right now he is a 1 and done face up attack the basket player and we would be stupid to play him any other way. Dude looks like he could average 20ppg for us attacking the basket but you hope he turns in to some old school back to the basket player lol.
So now, Huell is KD? If I was underrating him by comparing him to a more skilled Murphy, then you're overhyping this kid up to drop 30+ a game in college like KD did. Come the fvck on. KD at Texas had special guard skills at his size, and stepped out to the 3 point line quite often. Huell isn't KD in that respect at all. Huell has a mid-range jumper, but he's not out there banging home 3's with a defender in his face like KD did and does.

You're 6'9 and athletic? Make yourself more versatile and develop some post moves TO GO WITH your face up and attack style. Then let's see how hard it gets to defend him. Again - I'm just asking him to develop as a player and add more tools to his game...not change his whole style as you're suggesting.

And to frame it all in context (which you ******* missed, apparently), in order for that small ball lineup to work, we would need Huell/Murphy to develop some semblance of a post up game. That was my assertion.

You gave me a couple examples of extreme cases where teams break away from the norm.
Is there an echo in here? Didn't I say above "Playing a smaller lineup goes against conventional wisdom, sure. I'll grant you that. BUT - it can be done if implemented right."

We have no Dramon Green to make it possible for us to play small ball.
1) Draymond.

2) What Draymon does in GSW's small ball lineup is keep the boards clean when the other guys miss. That's really the job for him and for Barnes. They are undersized, but athletic and great around the basket. Huell is definitely great around the basket already, Murphy just needs to become more assertive and position himself better.

3) Back to D$'s original post - I won't speak for him, but I don't think D$ meant to use this small ball lineup EXCLUSIVELY or anything. I think he was wondering aloud if we had the pieces to possibly make it work for a few stretches here & there as a change-up for a conventional lineup. I think we do...you think "we'll get killed with that lineup", without any backup for that assertion besides repeating it over and over again.

Yeah your whole post is just garbage. I didnt directly compare him to KD unlike your direct comparison of Huell to Murphy (still laughing about that). Really that comparison its self makes you not worth discussing basketball with anymore.

Lol at thinking a player who should be developing a deeper jump shot should waste his time by developing a back to the basket game.

Based on his scoring production at SJS and reports from coaches and players who practice with him everyday.

'Small ball' is definitely the way the game is going, but agreed, Murphy and Huell are post players. With Angel gone, Newton becomes our smallest starter at 6'2. You can then trot out some combination of Reed (6'6), Huell (6'9) and Muhammad (6'6). I think Palmer is a really important bench guy for us and really hope he doesn't transfer. A second unit of Brown - Muhammad - Palmer - ICU - Izendu would be really solid and I'm not even factoring in the Aussie.

SG - Reed/Muhammad/Brown
SF - Huell/Palmer
PF - Lawrence/ICU
C - Murphy/Izendu

This team is stacked next year. McClellan and Jekiri are losses for sure, but Brown and Huell are legit 5 star freshman that should replace them in the aggregate. They are that good.

I don't think you see the needle move much with Angel's departure either. Getting Newton into the starting lineup is big on so many levels. If Muhammad can be a consistent 10-12 PPG performer and Marjanovic contributes, it's gravy.

ICU is a senior, and WTF is a Marjanovic? It's definitely not a guy on our team next year.

Advertisement
Rotations are more important than the starting lineup.

It's impossible to predict what the chemistry will be like, but the talent to win big is there.

SG - Reed/Muhammad/Brown
SF - Huell/Palmer
PF - Lawrence/ICU
C - Murphy/Izendu

ICU is a senior, and WTF is a Marjanovic? It's definitely not a guy on our team next year.

Wasn't on my A-game when I wrote the post and don't know why I penciled ICU into the lineup or called Dejan Marjanovic

Yeah your whole post is just garbage.
If you're looking in the mirror speaking to yourself as you said that, then yes.

I didnt directly compare him to KD
Direct or indirect, you compared them. If you can't defend the comparison, you never should have made it.

unlike your direct comparison of Huell to Murphy (still laughing about that).
Glad I could make you chuckle. Of course, it's not that hard to do for a simpleton like yourself. You probably laugh at most posts on here as you eat the rest of your paste from art class and drool.

Really that comparison its self makes you not worth discussing basketball with anymore.
Then leave. I haven't seen you make a single post yet anywhere on any board that made any ******* sense anyway. We'll all be better off if you don't want to discuss basketball or anything else.

Lol at thinking a player who should be developing a deeper jump shot should waste his time by developing a back to the basket game.
I think he should develop both a deeper J and a post-up game. You never considered that, did you? An elite 5* talent like Huell should be trying to become a complete player, not just "this' or "that". Becoming more versatile won't be a waste of his time, either way.

Advertisement
Back