Potential lineup for next year

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
I don't want to look ahead, but watching some of the trends in the NBA, I wanted to get the board's thoughts on this small-ball lineup for next year:

Newton-Reed-Huell-Lawrence-Murphy

I've been really impressed with Murphy's toughness and I think the group could get by if they rebound collectively. The length would be crazy on defense and all of those guys are versatile offensively.

It would be a big change from Gamble/Kadji/Reggie and Tonye/ICU but could it work?

Advertisement
I think it could work. I remember last year against Notre Dame they played small ball a lot and were gashing teams with it. Our guard play will have to be fantastic though, they were able to make it work with Jerian Grant, Pat Connaughton and a few others. Rebounding would be a pretty big weakness for the team, but they'd be able to space the floor beautifully.

I don't want to look ahead, but watching some of the trends in the NBA, I wanted to get the board's thoughts on this small-ball lineup for next year:

I've been really impressed with Murphy's toughness and I think the group could get by if they rebound collectively. The length would be crazy on defense and all of those guys are versatile offensively.

It would be a big change from Gamble/Kadji/Reggie and Tonye/ICU but could it work?
IF Lawrence/Murphy score like they did last night against ND, yes. It could work. I could see that working much the same way that Duke's offense worked 2 years ago with Okafor in the middle, and Jones/Winslow wreaking havoc on the perimeter. Huell would be our Okafor, and Newton/Lawrence could play the roles of Jones/Winslow. Murphy can be that Amile Jefferson-type, only more athletic, and pick any of our 2-guards to fill that SG role that was split up on that Duke team between Matt Jones, Grayson Allen, and Quinn Cook. I'd be excited about Reed, Palmer, Rashad Muhammad, and even Bruce Brown splitting up that role that way. Even Dejan Vasiljevic could grab some minutes with Newton on the floor at the PG if he's as great of an outside shooter as advertised...especially against smaller lineups where we could afford to do that.

And I wouldn't call it a big change from Gamble/Kadji/Reggie...sure, they had more size, but if Huell/Murphy can develop back-to-the-bucket offensive games, that will give us an offensive dimension we haven't had since those 3 guys from the last Sweet 16 squad. As far as Jekiri has come, he just doesn't have much of a scoring presence underneath. He's only an average athlete and hasn't come as far along with his post moves as we all hoped. Huell is an elite athlete...and if you combine that with some post-up offensive skills down on the low block...start getting excited.

A true post-up scoring presence will really help our guards, and their ability to attack on the perimeter. We just don't have that right now in Jekiri. Huell should have it, and hopefully Murphy works to develop his game down low for next year.

I think it could work. I remember last year against Notre Dame they played small ball a lot and were gashing teams with it. Our guard play will have to be fantastic though, they were able to make it work with Jerian Grant, Pat Connaughton and a few others. Rebounding would be a pretty big weakness for the team, but they'd be able to space the floor beautifully.
Agree with this too. And the rebounding ability that last year's ND team had is what won and kept them in so many games. I remember the game @ND last year, they roared back in the 2nd half because they played small ball and were aggressive going to the boards. ****ed me off.

IF Lawrence/Murphy score like they did last night against ND, yes. It could work. I could see that working much the same way that Duke's offense worked 2 years ago with Okafor in the middle, and Jones/Winslow wreaking havoc on the perimeter. Huell would be our Okafor, and Newton/Lawrence could play the roles of Jones/Winslow. Murphy can be that Amile Jefferson-type, only more athletic, and pick any of our 2-guards to fill that SG role that was split up on that Duke team between Matt Jones, Grayson Allen, and Quinn Cook. I'd be excited about Reed, Palmer, Rashad Muhammad, and even Bruce Brown splitting up that role that way. Even Dejan Vasiljevic could grab some minutes with Newton on the floor at the PG if he's as great of an outside shooter as advertised...especially against smaller lineups where we could afford to do that.

And I wouldn't call it a big change from Gamble/Kadji/Reggie...sure, they had more size, but if Huell/Murphy can develop back-to-the-bucket offensive games, that will give us an offensive dimension we haven't had since those 3 guys from the last Sweet 16 squad. As far as Jekiri has come, he just doesn't have much of a scoring presence underneath. He's only an average athlete and hasn't come as far along with his post moves as we all hoped. Huell is an elite athlete...and if you combine that with some post-up offensive skills down on the low block...start getting excited.

A true post-up scoring presence will really help our guards, and their ability to attack on the perimeter. We just don't have that right now in Jekiri. Huell should have it, and hopefully Murphy works to develop his game down low for next year.
Huell isnt that kind of player. Have you ever even watched him play? Thats not his game at all.

That team would get killed due to lack of size.

Advertisement
Starters

PG:Newton
SG:Muhammad
SF:Reed
PF/C: Huell
C/PF: Murphy

6th Man-Lawrence

I would not be surprised if Palmer transferred. If not, he'll have to fight for minutes. If so....

Bench would be

PG:Bloomin Onion
SG: Brown
SF: Lawrence
C: Uzundu
PF: Miller (Redshirt?)

Huell isnt that kind of player. Have you ever even watched him play? Thats not his game at all.
I've seen all the highlight videos that everyone else has. He may not be a true 5, but with his athleticism and some work on his post moves, he could have that dimension that Jekiri simply doesn't.

Also - you're a dumbass if you think every kid's playing style in HS is what they'll be in college. Kids grow, kids fill out, kids learn new skills and adapt their games to their roles...and the great ones (like Huell is projected to be) are the best at doing that type of thing. Just because he looks more like a more skilled Kamari Murphy at this point doesn't mean he can't develop a post game to complement the rest of his game.

Yep...the Warriors are getting killed because of their lack of size in their small ball lineup all the time.

A team can play that style, they just have to understand how to use passing, speed, cutting, help defense, and shooting to their advantage. Coach L knows a thing or two about that...his Final Four George Mason team didn't have a starter taller than 6'7. Amp Lawrence is 6'7, and he would be the 3 in that lineup that D$ posted. Jai Lewis was GMU's 5, and he was 6'7 and led them in scoring by being a back-to-the-bucket guy, mainly. Their next best two players, Tony Skinn and Lamar Butler? 6'1 and 6'2, respectively.

[video=youtube;gGHQ6xpnahI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGHQ6xpnahI[/video]

Starters

6th Man-Lawrence

I would not be surprised if Palmer transferred. If not, he'll have to fight for minutes. If so....

Bench would be

Lmfao. That is good.

Starters

6th Man-Lawrence

Bench would be

Palmer isn't going anywhere. I'd be surprised if he wasn't the starting 2 at the start of the season. And, Izundu might surprise a bunch. Coach L takes a while to fall in love with young players so I doubt Huell starts right away.

Advertisement
Starters

6th Man-Lawrence

Bench would be

Palmer isn't going anywhere. I'd be surprised if he wasn't the starting 2 at the start of the season. And, Izundu might surprise a bunch. Coach L takes a while to fall in love with young players so I doubt Huell starts right away.

Muhammad and Brown will eat his minutes. In my opinion, it's going to be very hard for Palmer to see the court, especially now with the Aussie coming in, and Brown likely to play the "2." If he stays, great, but I don't see him with much more of a role than he has now. Also, everyone is way underestimating Muhammad.

Starters

6th Man-Lawrence

Bench would be

Lmfao. That is good.

No way I'm even attempting to spell, let alone say his name.

Starters

6th Man-Lawrence

Bench would be

Lmfao. That is good.

No way I'm even attempting to spell, let alone say his name.
Dejan Vasiljevic.

The best thing about that name is imagining Tom Brokaw saying it.

IMO Bruce Brown may be a lottery pick type talent(maybe in 2 years though), and word is he plays tough defense which will have Coach L in love with him early. Wouldn't shock me if he started at some point.

Advertisement
I've seen all the highlight videos that everyone else has. He may not be a true 5, but with his athleticism and some work on his post moves, he could have that dimension that Jekiri simply doesn't.

Also - you're a dumbass if you think every kid's playing style in HS is what they'll be in college. Kids grow, kids fill out, kids learn new skills and adapt their games to their roles...and the great ones (like Huell is projected to be) are the best at doing that type of thing. Just because he looks more like a more skilled Kamari Murphy at this point doesn't mean he can't develop a post game to complement the rest of his game.

Yep...the Warriors are getting killed because of their lack of size in their small ball lineup all the time.

A team can play that style, they just have to understand how to use passing, speed, cutting, help defense, and shooting to their advantage. Coach L knows a thing or two about that...his Final Four George Mason team didn't have a starter taller than 6'7. Amp Lawrence is 6'7, and he would be the 3 in that lineup that D$ posted. Jai Lewis was GMU's 5, and he was 6'7 and led them in scoring by being a back-to-the-bucket guy, mainly. Their next best two players, Tony Skinn and Lamar Butler? 6'1 and 6'2, respectively.

[video=youtube;gGHQ6xpnahI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGHQ6xpnahI[/video]
LMAO im supposed to take you seriously when you are saying he looks like a more skilled Kamari Murphy. You very obviously havent watched him play at all. His game looks like he will transition in to a face up attack the basket kind of player. No reason to force him to become a back to the basket player just because it fits what you think he should do.

You are an absolute fool if you dont think we get killed down low with that lineup.

That's the key to me...Kamari's best game by a long shot was last night. He has a long way to go, but it was very encouraging to see.

UM

LMAO im supposed to take you seriously when you are saying he looks like a more skilled Kamari Murphy. You very obviously havent watched him play at all. His game looks like he will transition in to a face up attack the basket kind of player. No reason to force him to become a back to the basket player just because it fits what you think he should do.
You're right. I'm lying. I don't even know who this Huell kid is. Didn't even know Miami had a basketball team before last night's ND game too, I guess. Eat a whole bag of dycks.

Why is hoping Huell develops a post game "forcing" him to do it? I'm just expecting a guy who has superstar talent to round out his game. Where would we have been a few years ago if Shane Larkin never decided he needed to get bigger/stronger, and work on his perimeter jumper? Or if Julian Gamble would have decided to ride out his career as a silent role player off the bench...instead of developing his whole game and becoming a vocal team leader? What if Durand Scott never worked on developing his outside shot? I could go on, but I digress. Asking a 6'9 kid who's an elite ballplayer to develop some kind of post game isn't a crime. It's making him more versatile for the next level...which I'm sure is Huell's goal. Kadji was a "stretch 4" who at least developed some of a post game that made him harder to guard. Small guys, post em up. Big guys, take them outside and shoot with space or use your speed to get around them.

Thanks for jumping my **** for hoping Huell develops other parts of his game than what he's already good at.

You are an absolute fool if you dont think we get killed down low with that lineup.
I gave you examples of teams who could do it, and one of them was coached by Coach L. Playing a smaller lineup goes against conventional wisdom, sure. I'll grant you that. BUT - it can be done if implemented right. And you're an absolute fool if you can't admit that much, especially when I gave you factual examples of it working.

Advertisement

I can't imagine Muhammad not starting on next years team

You're right. I'm lying. I don't even know who this Huell kid is. Didn't even know Miami had a basketball team before last night's ND game too, I guess. Eat a whole bag of dycks.

Why is hoping Huell develops a post game "forcing" him to do it? I'm just expecting a guy who has superstar talent to round out his game. Where would we have been a few years ago if Shane Larkin never decided he needed to get bigger/stronger, and work on his perimeter jumper? Or if Julian Gamble would have decided to ride out his career as a silent role player off the bench...instead of developing his whole game and becoming a vocal team leader? What if Durand Scott never worked on developing his outside shot? I could go on, but I digress. Asking a 6'9 kid who's an elite ballplayer to develop some kind of post game isn't a crime. It's making him more versatile for the next level...which I'm sure is Huell's goal. Kadji was a "stretch 4" who at least developed some of a post game that made him harder to guard. Small guys, post em up. Big guys, take them outside and shoot with space or use your speed to get around them.

Thanks for jumping my **** for hoping Huell develops other parts of his game than what he's already good at.

I gave you examples of teams who could do it, and one of them was coached by Coach L. Playing a smaller lineup goes against conventional wisdom, sure. I'll grant you that. BUT - it can be done if implemented right. And you're an absolute fool if you can't admit that much, especially when I gave you factual examples of it working.

Dude its like expecting KD to develop a back to the basket game. Maybe its something he works on when he gets to the pros but right now he is a 1 and done face up attack the basket player and we would be stupid to play him any other way. Dude looks like he could average 20ppg for us attacking the basket but you hope he turns in to some old school back to the basket player lol.

You gave me a couple examples of extreme cases where teams break away from the norm. We have no Dramon Green to make it possible for us to play small ball.

Dude its like expecting KD to develop a back to the basket game. Maybe its something he works on when he gets to the pros but right now he is a 1 and done face up attack the basket player and we would be stupid to play him any other way. Dude looks like he could average 20ppg for us attacking the basket but you hope he turns in to some old school back to the basket player lol.
So now, Huell is KD? If I was underrating him by comparing him to a more skilled Murphy, then you're overhyping this kid up to drop 30+ a game in college like KD did. Come the fvck on. KD at Texas had special guard skills at his size, and stepped out to the 3 point line quite often. Huell isn't KD in that respect at all. Huell has a mid-range jumper, but he's not out there banging home 3's with a defender in his face like KD did and does.

You're 6'9 and athletic? Make yourself more versatile and develop some post moves TO GO WITH your face up and attack style. Then let's see how hard it gets to defend him. Again - I'm just asking him to develop as a player and add more tools to his game...not change his whole style as you're suggesting.

And to frame it all in context (which you ******* missed, apparently), in order for that small ball lineup to work, we would need Huell/Murphy to develop some semblance of a post up game. That was my assertion.

You gave me a couple examples of extreme cases where teams break away from the norm.
Is there an echo in here? Didn't I say above "Playing a smaller lineup goes against conventional wisdom, sure. I'll grant you that. BUT - it can be done if implemented right."

We have no Dramon Green to make it possible for us to play small ball.
1) Draymond.

2) What Draymon does in GSW's small ball lineup is keep the boards clean when the other guys miss. That's really the job for him and for Barnes. They are undersized, but athletic and great around the basket. Huell is definitely great around the basket already, Murphy just needs to become more assertive and position himself better.

3) Back to D$'s original post - I won't speak for him, but I don't think D$ meant to use this small ball lineup EXCLUSIVELY or anything. I think he was wondering aloud if we had the pieces to possibly make it work for a few stretches here & there as a change-up for a conventional lineup. I think we do...you think "we'll get killed with that lineup", without any backup for that assertion besides repeating it over and over again.

Advertisement
Back