***Polls Thread***

The only place rankings do not matter is on the court. Otherwise they are extremely important to the landscape of college hoops if you really think about it.

Given the choice between being unranked and ranked #25 . I'd take #25 .

I disagree. NCAAT appearances and performance in the NCAAT is what matters. Rankings are forgotten. Final 4 appearances are not.

Higher rankings actually make the route to the final 4 easier. When you think about it, how many teams have actually gotten to the final 4 without being ranked? I haven't done the research but I'll bet its not much more than a hand full.

Rankings decide television exposure. They create a baseline to bring clarity to the strength of the schedules of all teams involved as well as bringing clarity to their record against that schedule.

Rankings are a huge factor in recruiting. Kids do care where you are ranked or if you are ranked at all.

Imagine how little context the games would have until the tournament without rankings. I just couldn't imagine college hoops without rankings.

Plenty of teams have gotten to the Final 4 without being ranked.

SCar did just last year. Coach L did with GMason. UConn was the National Title a few years ago without being ranked. I'm not sure how ranking means anything. Tournament seeding is obviously more important, and a team's ranking isn't part of the selection process

Uconn was #21 going into the tourney in 2014 when they won it

Advertisement
The only place rankings do not matter is on the court. Otherwise they are extremely important to the landscape of college hoops if you really think about it.

I disagree. NCAAT appearances and performance in the NCAAT is what matters. Rankings are forgotten. Final 4 appearances are not.

Higher rankings actually make the route to the final 4 easier. When you think about it, how many teams have actually gotten to the final 4 without being ranked? I haven't done the research but I'll bet its not much more than a hand full.

Rankings decide television exposure. They create a baseline to bring clarity to the strength of the schedules of all teams involved as well as bringing clarity to their record against that schedule.

Rankings are a huge factor in recruiting. Kids do care where you are ranked or if you are ranked at all.

Imagine how little context the games would have until the tournament without rankings. I just couldn't imagine college hoops without rankings.

SCar did just last year. Coach L did with GMason. UConn was the National Title a few years ago without being ranked. I'm not sure how ranking means anything. Tournament seeding is obviously more important, and a team's ranking isn't part of the selection process

I think it is a part of their selection process. The top 4 seeds are almost always ranked in the top 5.

Uconn was #21 going into the tourney in 2014 when they won it

I didn't say it was impossible to get to the final 4 without being ranked I just said that it doesn't happen often. I also agree that rankings do not decide the outcome on the court. But they do make the game more interesting.

It is what it is. Being ranked is better than not being ranked. It helps with recruits, it rewards and pumps up the team, puts fans in the seats and on and on. Is it meaningful? Perhaps not in playing a game and perhaps it hypes up the opponent but I think that evens out. I personally like the coache's poll a bit more.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think it is a part of their selection process. The top 4 seeds are almost always ranked in the top 5.

Even if its not technically part of the process. It influences their decision for sure.

Advertisement
If they replaced the rankings with RPI, few would even notice.

Current AP Top 10:

Villanova
Virginia
Purdue
Michigan State
Xavier
Cincinnati
Texas Tech
Auburn
Duke
Kansas

Current RPI top 10:

Virginia
Villanova
Xavier
Clemson
Auburn
Rhode Island
Duke
Kansas
Purdue
Tennessee

A lot of top 25 teams losing this week.

v. Unranked teams:

# 20 Michigan to Northwestern (at NW)
# 1 Nova to SJU (at Nova)
# 8 Auburn to TAMpon (at Auburn)
# 23 Nevada to UNLV (at Nevada)

———————————————

v. Ranked teams (but as the favorite)

#17 Oklahoma to #19 WVU (Oklahoma at home)
#24 Kentucky to #15 Tenn (Kentucky at home, not sure of the favorite)
# 3 Purdue to #14 OSU (Purdue at home)

A lot of top 25 teams losing this week.

v. Unranked teams:

# 20 Michigan to Northwestern (at NW)
# 1 Nova to SJU (at Nova)
# 8 Auburn to TAMpon (at Auburn)
# 23 Nevada to UNLV (at Nevada)

———————————————

#17 Oklahoma to #19 WVU (Oklahoma at home)
#24 Kentucky to #15 Tenn (Kentucky at home, not sure of the favorite)
# 3 Purdue to #14 OSU (Purdue at home)

v. Unranked teams:

#13 Arizona to UCLA (at Arizona)

#9 Duke to #21 UNC (UNC at home, UNC was the favorite)

Advertisement
Not that it matters, but the following teams lost this week:

Unranked

#17 Rhode Island to St. Joes
#17 Rhode Island @ Davidson
#18 Clemson @ Cuse
#20 WVU @ Texas
#21 Nevada @ SDSU
#23 Kentucky @ UF
#24 MTSU to Marshall (this was a home game for MTSU)

--------------

#25 Houston plays UConn (tonight)

Not that it matters, but the following teams lost this week:

Unranked

#17 Rhode Island to St. Joes
#17 Rhode Island @ Davidson
#18 Clemson @ Cuse
#20 WVU @ Texas
#21 Nevada @ SDSU
#23 Kentucky @ UF
#24 MTSU to Marshall (this was a home game for MTSU)

--------------

#25 Houston plays UConn (tonight)
Yeah so Miami could and probably should definitely be ranked this week but every time we get ranked we lose and fall out of the rankings so I don't really care if they get ranked. It's just nice to see them as a top 25 college basketball team.

It's true that the only ranking that count now are going to be the NCAA Seedings, but you can't say that we've been unappreciated lately by the polls. We have. We were ranked lower than Florida State in both polls. 37th in the Coaches Poll (FSU was 35) and not even receiving votes in the AP Poll, while FSU was 33. Heading into this week we had a better resume than FSU, split the series with FSU. Better record, ACC record, RPI, you name it. They weren't playing better lately. Nothing. And, that's just one example. Don't even get me started on being behind Florida, who, before beating Kentucky yesterday, you could argue was an NIT team.

Advertisement
It's true that the only ranking that count now are going to be the NCAA Seedings, but you can't say that we've been unappreciated lately by the polls. We have. We were ranked lower than Florida State in both polls. 37th in the Coaches Poll (FSU was 35) and not even receiving votes in the AP Poll, while FSU was 33. Heading into this week we had a better resume than FSU, split the series with FSU. Better record, ACC record, RPI, you name it. They weren't playing better lately. Nothing. And, that's just one example. Don't even get me started on being behind Florida, who, before beating Kentucky yesterday, you could argue was an NIT team.

Plus the SEC is overrated.

Jesus, I quit

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 2.04.27 PM.webp

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back