***Polls Thread***

Advertisement
I honestly don't think we deserve to be ranked right now. If we keep winning then we can get back in it, but right now every top 25 team has a better resume then us.

I honestly don't think we deserve to be ranked right now. If we keep winning then we can get back in it, but right now every top 25 team has a better resume then us.

Then we shouldn't have been ranked to begin with. We did nothing to deserve to be dropped either. We lost to 4th ranked Duke in a close game, and won a road game against a team that was 12-1 at home and throttled 4th ranked Duke there.

Then we shouldn't have been ranked to begin with. We did nothing to deserve to be dropped either. We lost to 4th ranked Duke in a close game, and won a road game against a team that was 12-1 at home and throttled 4th ranked Duke there.

I don't really think we did anything to deserve to be ranked at the beginning of the season either. We beat a bunch of scrub teams, but we where riding our pre season ranking out. I am sure the Pollsters thought Huell and brown would have had a huge increase in production from last year. DJ would have gotten slightly better at 3s. Walker would have had an amazing season. Newton would have stepped it up. I am sure they figured Waardenburg and Miller would have at least been serviceable. They probably figured if L could have led all those teams with much less talent to the sweet 16 and final 4 that with this team we would have been elite. I was not about to complain about our ranking. The higher we are ranked in the beginning the better, but I don't really think we deserved it. After seeing our team not playing to their potential(besides Huell and Lykes). I think they decided to drop us out of the ranking first chance they got. This team has a lot of talent though and maybe L can turn it around the second half of the season and get us back to where we belong.

I don't really think we did anything to deserve to be ranked at the beginning of the season either. We beat a bunch of scrub teams, but we where riding our pre season ranking out. I am sure the Pollsters thought Huell and brown would have had a huge increase in production from last year. DJ would have gotten slightly better at 3s. Walker would have had an amazing season. Newton would have stepped it up. I am sure they figured Waardenburg and Miller would have at least been serviceable. They probably figured if L could have led all those teams with much less talent to the sweet 16 and final 4 that with this team we would have been elite. I was not about to complain about our ranking. The higher we are ranked in the beginning the better, but I don't really think we deserved it. After seeing our team not playing to their potential(besides Huell and Lykes). I think they decided to drop us out of the ranking first chance they got. This team has a lot of talent though and maybe L can turn it around the second half of the season and get us back to where we belong.

Yeah, but we were ranked, so I don't think we needed to be dropped for that reason.

Also,our RPI is 20, our SOS is 44. We're 14-4, 3-3. NM State is 15-3 with an RPI of 45. GT is our "bad" loss, and it was a road loss, and they're 10-9, 3-3 with an RPI of 144. Duke is 17-2, 5-2 and 1st in RPI. Clemson is 16-3, 5-2 and 5th in RPI. Those are our losses.

Middle Tennessee is 23rd in RPI. Minnesota is 44 in RPI, and they had the sexual predator when we beat them. FSU's RPI is 42. Our resume isn't as bad as people make it out to be. UL is 14 in RPI. Would be a huge win on Wednesday.

Advertisement

Yeah, but we were ranked, so I don't think we needed to be dropped for that reason.

Also,our RPI is 20, our SOS is 44. We're 14-4, 3-3. NM State is 15-3 with an RPI of 45. GT is our "bad" loss, and it was a road loss, and they're 10-9, 3-3 with an RPI of 144. Duke is 17-2, 5-2 and 1st in RPI. Clemson is 16-3, 5-2 and 5th in RPI. Those are our losses.

Middle Tennessee is 23rd in RPI. Minnesota is 44 in RPI, and they had the sexual predator when we beat them. FSU's RPI is 42. Our resume isn't as bad as people make it out to be. UL is 14 in RPI. Would be a huge win on Wednesday.

I agree with what your saying about the RPI and if we beat Louisville we definitely deserve to be ranked, but we really needed to beat duke at home. I agree road games are always hard in then ACC, but that really means we can't lose our home games. We also should not have lost to GT. the NM state one I can understand with all the traveling and L making the kids practice before the game. Also NM state only had like a 2 hour time difference so they where pretty fresh.

Ranking mean absolutely nothing this time of year. We need to get better and find out which combinations of players will be more successful in different situations and against different teams. Sunday was a much needed step in that direction. If we keep playing team ball we can compete with most ACC teams. I actually think we have a small chance of winning in Tally now after 15's performance.

Advertisement
How can you be a college basketball fan for so long and still worry about rankings?

Not sure who is worried about rankings. However, it's interesting that after UVA and Duke, the next four teams in the ACC standings all have a significantly higher RPI ranking than ranking in the polls. Consider:

Clemson: RPI of 6; Poll average of 17.5
UNC: 5 v. 10
Miami: 13 v. 25
Louisville: 17 v. 28

Some of this is understandable, as the polls focus much more on overall records (resulting in a number of teams with better records in easier conferences -- St. Mary's, Cincinnati, Wichita State, and even Michigan State and Purdue -- being ranked higher than their RPI would suggest).

That's certainly notable.

It doesn't "matter" but it shows how we are viewed.

Also, New Mexico State is 29 and Middle Tennessee is 36.

Advertisement
The only place rankings do not matter is on the court. Otherwise they are extremely important to the landscape of college hoops if you really think about it.

Given the choice between being unranked and ranked #25 . I'd take #25 .

The only place rankings do not matter is on the court. Otherwise they are extremely important to the landscape of college hoops if you really think about it.

I disagree. NCAAT appearances and performance in the NCAAT is what matters. Rankings are forgotten. Final 4 appearances are not.

I disagree. NCAAT appearances and performance in the NCAAT is what matters. Rankings are forgotten. Final 4 appearances are not.

Higher rankings actually make the route to the final 4 easier. When you think about it, how many teams have actually gotten to the final 4 without being ranked? I haven't done the research but I'll bet its not much more than a hand full.

Rankings decide television exposure. They create a baseline to bring clarity to the strength of the schedules of all teams involved as well as bringing clarity to their record against that schedule.

Rankings are a huge factor in recruiting. Kids do care where you are ranked or if you are ranked at all.

Imagine how little context the games would have until the tournament without rankings. I just couldn't imagine college hoops without rankings.

Advertisement

Higher rankings actually make the route to the final 4 easier. When you think about it, how many teams have actually gotten to the final 4 without being ranked? I haven't done the research but I'll bet its not much more than a hand full.

Rankings decide television exposure. They create a baseline to bring clarity to the strength of the schedules of all teams involved as well as bringing clarity to their record against that schedule.

Rankings are a huge factor in recruiting. Kids do care where you are ranked or if you are ranked at all.

Imagine how little context the games would have until the tournament without rankings. I just couldn't imagine college hoops without rankings.

I would prefer it if they used the RPI rank during the season and eliminated the human polling altogether.

I completely agree. I wish the rankings would go all the way down until you receive no votes. You don't know how many times I am talking with someone and the convo goes something like this. "Miami sucks bro they aren't even ranked". Well actually they are only about 5 votes out of 25th so they are in 26th place. "Ya so there not ranked bro"

Plenty of teams have gotten to the Final 4 without being ranked.

SCar did just last year. Coach L did with GMason. UConn was the National Title a few years ago without being ranked. I'm not sure how ranking means anything. Tournament seeding is obviously more important, and a team's ranking isn't part of the selection process

Advertisement
Back