OT: Ole Miss v MSU

Advertisement
Doesn’t answer my question.

I think you have already decided on the answer so it doesn't matter what names anyone gives you.

What's your criteria? What do you consider elite? If Kiffin hired someone who was an elite DC at a different program but didn't turn out to be elite under him, does that still count?

Would you say Lincoln Riley hired an elite DC in Alex Grinch ? He was the one best DCs in the biz when hired, right now Oklahomas D is not good. So according to your personal criteria, does that retroactively mean Riley didn't hire an elite DC?

Last edited:
I think you have already decided on the answer so it doesn't matter what names anyone gives you.

What's your criteria? What do you consider elite? If Kiffin hired someone who was an elite DC at a different program but didn't turn out to be elite under him, does that still count?
Previous poster used “elite”, not I. I haven’t decided anything since we can all look at all his DC’s and identify who was actually any good, let alone “elite.”

It really is Groundhogs Day at CIS. When Díaz was a DC, CIS argued we just needed a OC to average a minimum of 30ppg per game. How is that working out? Now posters are applying that same theory with Lane because he won 10 games (kudos) this year with a verterán squad and elite QB? Did he even recruit these guys? I’m not buying the hype nor falling for the knee jerk reaction. There is a reason Lane wants out now at Ole Miss. His stock won’t be this high this time next year.

Either way, Lane isn’t coming.

Would you say Lincoln Riley hired an elite DC in Alex Grinch ? He was the one best DCs in the biz when hired, right now Oklahomas D is not good. So according to your personal criteria, does that retroactively mean Riley didn't hire an elite DC?
What does ‘elite‘ even mean? UGA has a generationally great defense but also has eight or nine five-star recruits on defense. Take that same defensive staff and see what they do half the talent, or less. Would they still be elite? Back in the day, Randy Shannon was thought to be an elite DC by some, but he also had first-round talent at every level and on his second team.

Get me a DC who can collect a top staff that can evaluate and recruit a lot of talented players. Then show me that staff‘s ability to use those players to exploit different opponents individual weaknesses, generate turnovers, and limit touchdowns in the red zone.

Previous poster used “elite”, not I. I haven’t decided anything since we can all look at all his DC’s and identify who was actually any good, let alone “elite.”

It really is Groundhogs Day at CIS. When Díaz was a DC, CIS argued we just needed a OC to average a minimum of 30ppg per game. How is that working out? Now posters are applying that same theory with Lane because he won 10 games (kudos) this year with a verterán squad and elite QB? Did he even recruit these guys? I’m not buying the hype nor falling for the knee jerk reaction. There is a reason Lane wants out now at Ole Miss. His stock won’t be this high this time next year.

Yeah I try not to weigh in too much on this coaching search because frankly I don’t have an answer

I really don’t know who is realistic other than the few names that keep popping up and even that we see is routinely wrong

We see a name get momentum from nowhere all the time

Given our past I absolutely do not believe all this talk about changing everything until I see it happen

So I’m just like alright…I’m ready for just about anything. The AD search to me is all I care about at the moment to be honest

Advertisement

Lane has won in the SEC west with just that division is 10x more difficult that the weakest conference Pac 12. You state he has a veteran team? Of literal 3 stars and the one of the least talented teams in SEC. Oregon has by far the most talent in the super weak conference....

Its funny how the narrative has changed from...oh Lane doesn't last at places to ...oh lane doesn't want to stay in college to...oh Lane doesn't pic good DCs...to Lane isn't a great recruiter...to Lane wants the NFL......SMH

The bashers keep moving the goalposts trying to validate their agenda...

Still get proven wrong

Its fine that you don't want Lane..
But many of us do want him and believe he would crush it here..
FWIW...Mario is my top 4..

All about the Lane Train

Listen...
There's not a single coaching candidate that you can't shoot a hole in. Y'all do this every time we're talking about coaches.

"But he lost to this team!"
"Well he lost to that team!"
"He wears a brown belt with black pants!"

Fact of the matter is, there's not a single coach who's flawless, even the mighty Nick Saban himself. You can find something wrong with EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Listen...
There's not a single coaching candidate that you can't shoot a hole in. Y'all do this every time we're talking about coaches.

"But he lost to this team!"
"Well he lost to that team!"
"He wears a brown belt with black pants!"

Fact of the matter is, there's not a single coach who's flawless, even the mighty Nick Saban himself. You can find something wrong with EVERY ONE OF THEM.

there are no perfect candidates, never has, never will

although... Jimmy Johnson getting into a hot tub time machine would come close...

Advertisement
Back