OT: Gionni Paul AAF

Advertisement
Why is it the NFL owners responsibility to support other players who are not good enough for the NFL? There is no reason for a G league for the NFL. The NCAA is working pretty well for thousands of young men
I agree it's not the NFL's responsibility. However, the NFL, IMO, would benefit from having a minor league system patterned after MLB. It could be a win win for the NFL, players and fans.

Sad news for the young man. But since he just lost his job, that would constitute a Qualifying Event so he should be able to sign up for Obamacare and be eligible immediately for coverage I believe.

Go Canes

Honest question. Have you ever seen the doctors that accept Obamacare? I wouldn't want my worst enemy getting screws put in them by one of them.

Miami does have "puppy mill degrees." They just don't have insane names like whatever it was that was Tim Tebow's degree. You are spot on otherwise.

Other than a couple of goofy majors in the Arts & Sciences, like Gender Studies which every liberal college in America has, what are they?

I expect better and so should that dump of an organization headquartered in Indianapolis. Schools that exist for nothing but football need to be held accountable. Most Miami fans who complain about the high standards are football fans only. How many athletes actually get turned away? Not many. I think for the most part Miami does it right. The university does not have "puppy mill" degrees so let athletes can major in nonsense to play ball. Miami also has a program that allows for athletes to return to finish their degrees. Miami's issues with football recruiting is mostly due to its last 4 coaching regimes and poor performance on the field. Of the kids who committed to Miami, and then ended up at Alabama or LSU or elsewhere, how many would not have qualified?
I agree that Miami does right by their kids and a lot of these other schools don't.

My question was "what do you expect?" but probably should have been "why do you expect anything different?"

The sec schools in particular are pretty above board about only caring for football. They do the minimum to maintain the veneer of an academic institution with regards to the football team, but it's a sham. And everybody knows it. They only care about the kids if they can produce on the field, once you can't they don't want you. They don't give a sht about the future of these kids and care even less about educating them. Kids want to be lazy and not go to class? Cool, bama would rather they focus on football anyway. And when you throw a ton of money to land a kid, I guess it's understandable that your main concern is return on investment.

I'm just pointing out that none of this should be news to anyone.

Advertisement
Of the kids who committed to Miami, and then ended up at Alabama or LSU or elsewhere, how many would not have qualified?

If a kid can't get into Alabama or LSU, He can't get into Miami. The NCAA eligibility requirements are the same for every prospective student-athlete.
If Miami was only accepting football players based on their admission standards, we wouldn't have a football program, at least not a very good one.

Last edited:
I agree it's not the NFL's responsibility. However, the NFL, IMO, would benefit from having a minor league system patterned after MLB. It could be a win win for the NFL, players and fans.

You mean more than having a developmental league they don’t have to spend a dime on like college football?

Advertisement
Played with Gionni in little league at Sertoma Park. He lost 100 pounds as a kid. The guy is a fighter. He will persevere and rise above.

Advertisement
If a kid can't get into Alabama or LSU, He can't get into Miami. The NCAA eligibility requirements are the same for every prospective student-athlete.
If Miami was only accepting football players based on their admission standards, we wouldn't have a football program, at least not a very good one.

Wow, you can't be this dense. Miami standards are significantly different than the laughably low NCAA standard. There's a reason why certain kids that can't get into Miami can get into LSU. Miami has enhanced requirements, same with Stanford, same with Georgia Tech. Now, that isn't saying that Miami requires a potential student-athlete to have the same academic background as the rest of the student body, but Miami also is unlikely to take a kid they believe can't survive real collegiate classes. Alabama and those schools couldn't care less. If Miami didn't have differing standards, the concept of limited academic exceptions wouldn't be a thing.

Wow, you can't be this dense. Miami standards are significantly different than the laughably low NCAA standard. There's a reason why certain kids that can't get into Miami can get into LSU. Miami has enhanced requirements, same with Stanford, same with Georgia Tech. Now, that isn't saying that Miami requires a potential student-athlete to have the same academic background as the rest of the student body, but Miami also is unlikely to take a kid they believe can't survive real collegiate classes. Alabama and those schools couldn't care less. If Miami didn't have differing standards, the concept of limited academic exceptions wouldn't be a thing.

Stop it, a kid can get into Miami with LSU's minimum acceptance requirements...LSU's requirments:

To increase the likelihood of being accepted, applicants are encouraged to complete at least 18 units of college prep courses and achieve an:

- Academic gpa of > 3.0 and 18 units listed in above and
• SAT 1030/ACT 22, or
• Rank in top 15 percent of high school graduating class, OR
- 17 units and
• SAT 1090/ACT 24 and 3.0 gpa; or
• SAT 1060/ACT 23 and 3.2 gpa; or
• SAT 1030/ACT 22 and 3.5 gpa; or
• 3.0 gpa and rank in top 10 percent of graduating class.

LOL...Trayone Gray & Jeff Thomas barely finished HS and got into UM.

Advertisement
Back