OT: Best high school player you ever saw in person?

The Mad Stork. You have to be old to have seen him but dang he was wrecking crew. You had to run at him, which was a bad option, because you just could not run away from him. If young today, I wonder if he would be TE. Back in his day TEs were mostly blockers.
I also saw Hendricks play in HS. But, I’ll go with Kenny Flowers and John L Williams. Both were unstoppable in the games I saw them.

Not bad choices. Maybe my opinion of Ted is colored by those All American and All Pro yeats that came later.

Advertisement
I can tell you the best I played against: Lester Williams and Freddie Miles.

Where and when did you play?

Beach High, '78 grad. We only played CC in 1977 in a jamboree at Miami Dade North. Williams was something to watch. Luckily, I played defense. We got out of the quarter, 0-0. They won states that year. Unbelievably talented and fast.

You graduated with one of my cousins. I was Beach High class of 84. Alonzo Highsmith dominated us in the District Championship as a d lineman for Columbus.

Lavar Arrington. He would've come here too if we weren't coming off of sanctions.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Basketball ( Chris Jackson, Gulfport Ms. ) mid 80's
Football ( Hugh Green, North Natchez Ms. ) mid to late 70's

Chris Jackson, never saw him play live, but Heard stories bout ole boy. Watched him at LSU lol. If you’ve never seen him play YouTube him.

And Noel Devine.

Basketball ( Chris Jackson, Gulfport Ms. ) mid 80's
Football ( Hugh Green, North Natchez Ms. ) mid to late 70's

Chris Jackson, never saw him play live, but Heard stories bout ole boy. Watched him at LSU lol. If you’ve never seen him play YouTube him.

My dad coached against him, said he was AI before AI. Sucks the NBA blackballed him for his religious beliefs.

also coached against Nique at Georgia, my dad coached at Ole Miss, said before the game Nique was standing under the basket and flat footed jumped and did a pull up on top of the back board...crazy sh&t

Rey Maualuga...dude was so good he had Pete Carroll bringing the private jet up there those years.

Believe it or not, Colin Kaepernick was awesome in HS too.

Advertisement
I didn't see Deion, but i saw film when he was an option QB. Imagine that facker coming around the corner on the option

Jevon Kearse from the same HS was a bad ***

But honestly Peter Warrick was a beast. Tommy Frasier was no slouch either. I clearly remember Santana moss...Mossing our DB with 3 seconds left in the half. We still won, but he was a baller (Ethnic threw the pass)

Advertisement
Eric Berry...played QB and though he played on a very good hs team he always stood out as the most dynamic player of both teams in every game.

I would have to say Gerald Tinker. There's a vast gap between football fast and Olympic gold medal fast. Tinker was the latter category and it really showed up on the field for Coral Gables. Sometimes he wouldn't even pick the ideal path but he was so ridiculously fast he cold out run his mistakes. One time he caught a sideline pass and ran almost directly across the field to the opposing sideline, and then reversed course and did the same thing in the opposite direction. It was like he was toying with defenders. He eventually straightened out and scored a touchdown on that play. I remember all the laughter in the stands, since it seemed so unfair.

My dad took me to see many Coral Gables games during that late '60s/early '70s heyday under Nick Kotys. It was like a mini college team. Plus there was surreal pageantry especially for the annual Thanksgiving Day game at Central Stadium against Southwest. I feel sorry for younger guys who never got to experience anything remotely resembling that atmosphere for a high school game.

There were other great players like Neal Colzie and Frank Ortega on those teams. Even at that age I knew I was witnessing something special. But Tinker stands out in memory due to the raw speed.

Dad always insisted he took me to see a game with Ted Hendricks as a high school player for Hialeah. But I was too young to remember it.

Advertisement
Freddy Miles Miami Sprints around 1977-1978.....With Frank Gore one of the top two RB in Miami Dade County ever!

I remember the name Freddie Miles, as I graduated from CGHS in '83, but couldn't remember what happened to him.

Came across this article, pretty sad. Bit religious but fills in the gaps.

Living The Faith On A High Wire: Freddie Miles, Unfilled Promises and Finding Happiness...

**** that's crazy. I remember growing up and hearing my mom & godmother laughing about Carl Sheffield's(the QB on those teams, they say he was spectacular also)reading(or lack thereof)out loud in class back in the day. Lotta talent in the Brown Sub/Gladeview area...

Rey Maualuga...dude was so good he had Pete Carroll bringing the private jet up there those years.

Believe it or not, Colin Kaepernick was awesome in HS too.

That guy was an animal. I remember the CaliFlorida Bowl their year. Florida won going away with it, but I said to myself, that DeSean Jackson kid and that Samoan nightmare are gonna play on Sundays...

Probably Ted Hendricks but I don't remember him. I did see him, though, when Miami Beach HS play Hialeah in 1963. Ted might have been one of the greatest players ever that I have seen play. Unbelievable dominator in college. I don't think he'd be at great now because the game and players are much faster now.

Advertisement
Back