(Opinion) If Miami had run the Spread in 2004. Do we win ***

Cityboy4life82

Thunderdome
If Miami had ran the spread offense in 2004 with the following players. Do you think we would have won the title with one of the most high powered offenses in NCAA history?

Wide Receivers:
Devin Hester
Ryan Moore
Sinorice Moss
Roscoe Parrish
Darnell Jenkins
Lance Leggett
Akieem Jolla

Tigh-end
Greg Olsen

RB
Tyrone Moss
Frank Gore

With Coker being an offensive coordinator, I never understood why he did not have his staff alter the play calling to a wide open offense with those players. He stuck with the pro-set power game and I just never understood why.

Advertisement
He believed in the power running game and you can still win big in college football with that offense.

The problem with the Coker years wasn't the offensive philosophy, it was the way he ran the team on every level.

I've always been intrigued by this question. Personally, I hate the spread and prefer a Pro Style.

However, it's hard to deny that things could have been much different offensively if we'd been running it the last 8 years.

Advertisement
2.jpg

Watch the Florida game, 2nd half. You can't stop it.

+1 Thats exactly what I thought about. The damage that Berlin did in the 2nd half out of the shotgun cant be denied. Makes you think of what could have been had we run it more.

Advertisement
No. We lost to North Carolina, Clemson, and VT in 2004.
We gave up 279 yards on the ground to UNC's 3rd and 4th string running backs. Their QB had a 165.3 QB rating that night.
We blew a 17-3 halftime lead vs Clemson and gave up a long game tying drive in the 4th quarter that included a fake FG.
Finally, Berlin had a bunch of passes tipped at the line of scrimmage in the VT game, particularly when we had to pass late.

I think that with the correct scheme that year we could have had one of the most prolific offenses in NCAA history.

UM may have been able to set records in scoring and passing yardage. Imagine Chip Kelley or Mike Leach with those same players.

I don’t think any college team would have had enough quality defensive backs to cover that fast break aerial assault

No. We lost to North Carolina, Clemson, and VT in 2004.
We gave up 279 yards on the ground to UNC's 3rd and 4th string running backs. Their QB had a 165.3 QB rating that night.
We blew a 17-3 halftime lead vs Clemson and gave up a long game tying drive in the 4th quarter that included a fake FG.
Finally, Berlin had a bunch of passes tipped at the line of scrimmage in the VT game, particularly when we had to pass late.

I think that had a lot to do with Coker consistently taking his foot off the pedal and trying to grind out wins.

I think that with the correct scheme that year we could have had one of the most prolific offenses in NCAA history.

UM may have been able to set records in scoring and passing yardage. Imagine Chip Kelley or Mike Leach with those same players.

I don’t think any college team would have had enough quality defensive backs to cover that fast break aerial assault
one of the most prolific offenses in NCAA history?

good grief

ryan moore was suspended more often than he was dressed

leggett was afraid to catch the ball

they had to give devin his own "package" because he couldnt remember more than 8 plays

jolla and jenkins stunk

gore isnt a spread offense back.......and moss was barely a football player

take this stupidity back to grassy and debate this with dannytard because we have no time for dumb **** here

Advertisement
Yes we would have won it all. Berlin was a complete badass out of the hurry up offense. I remember ALL SEASON my dad and I would watch those games (living in Wisconsin at the time, so it meant bribing the guy who owned the local sports bar a lot of the time) and just scream at the TV as our offense kept getting stuck in neutral for most of the game and then turning it on for the last 2 minutes.

There was too much talent on offense for us to have even been in the ballgame with North Carolina and Clemson and the third loss, to Virginia Tech, wouldn't have happened if we had just put points on the board...they could have never lasted with us in a shootout.

I also like the Pro-Style offense but good lord, you have to recognize your strengths and weaknesses. The ironic thing is that if we had been in the spread, Gore and Moss might have both run for 1,000 yards that year.

If you don't agree with this go back and re-watch the losses. Berlin was a marginal QB at best in the conventional offense but turned into Danny Marino as soon as we went no-huddle EVERY EFFING TIME.

This is a great off season thread by the way. What the **** else is there to talk about? Should we start a 17th thread projecting the opening day depth chart even though we don't have 20+ players on campus yet and we have no idea what the injuries / performances in fall camp will be?

Advertisement
Yes we would have won it all. Berlin was a complete badass out of the hurry up offense. I remember ALL SEASON my dad and I would watch those games (living in Wisconsin at the time, so it meant bribing the guy who owned the local sports bar a lot of the time) and just scream at the TV as our offense kept getting stuck in neutral for most of the game and then turning it on for the last 2 minutes.
you are confusing 2 minute offense with spread offense......every offensive system has a 2 minute drill

There was too much talent on offense for us to have even been in the ballgame with North Carolina and Clemson and the third loss, to Virginia Tech, wouldn't have happened if we had just put points on the board...they could have never lasted with us in a shootout.
so scoring more points is how to win games?

gee......who knew?

I also like the Pro-Style offense but good lord, you have to recognize your strengths and weaknesses. The ironic thing is that if we had been in the spread, Gore and Moss might have both run for 1,000 yards that year.
gore was not a spread offense back......and despite moss barely being a college running back.......would have run for 1k yards in 05 had he not gotten hurt.......and we werent running a spread then.....so im not really sure what your point is

If you don't agree with this go back and re-watch the losses. Berlin was a marginal QB at best in the conventional offense but turned into Danny Marino as soon as we went no-huddle EVERY EFFING TIME.
again....you are confused........no-huddle isnt necessarily a spread offense..........you can run the wishbone from a no huddle

This is a great off season thread by the way.
i disagree

NJto FLA,

First of all, not trying to insult anyone, I like the debate. People take this stuff too personally.

I understand two minute drill is different than full time spread but the thread was asking if we had gone spread full time would we have been better, not whether or not we were running it at the time. My conjecture is that with our skill talent being what it was and Berlin being what he was (great in the no huddle, mediocre otherwise) we would have been very hard to beat that season.

Berlin was better in situations where he could make quick reads and quick throws. Period.

Obviously scoring more points wins more games and that team would have scored more points in the spread. There was no reason we couldn't have put 50 on the board against UNC or Clemson that season...this was still a HIGHLY talented team that way underperformerd.

The receivers weren't perfect but look at the receivers in successful college spread offenses...they excel at catching the ball in space, not fighting through traffic for the ball or running crisp routes to create windows. This is why NFL teams are still a little leery of the.

If anything, Leggett and Jolla might have been more successful in a spread; and Hester would have been in one on one coverage in the slot because there were simply too many weapons on the field, making the amount of learning he had to do less and the opportunity for him to impact the game on more than just special teams greater. And not to pick nits, but Moore was hurt that season, not suspended.

The way I figure, one of Leggett and Jolla would have been the deep threat...Moss, Parrish and Jenkins would have worked the underneath...Hester would have been the utility guy that you move around depending on matchups...and Olsen and Everett would have been major seam threats.

On the running backs...Gore was versatile enough to be great in any offense (in my opinion) and Moss, as you just said, was talented before he was a ******. They would be in single back formations and have HUGE holes to run through. It is why teams like Oklahoma State always have running backs among the nation's most productive.

If you look at the games we lost that season, we were held down to 28 and 17 points by crappy UNC and Clemson defenses, respectively, and 10 by VTech. We also would have lost to Louisville and NC State if not for Hester being a ridiculous return man.

To me, if we had used our weapons more effectively on offense it is not even close with UNC, Clemson, Louisville and NC State...and we probably beat VTech too. We were a very good team that year with a very good offense that was held back by quarterback play. If you played to the quarterback's strengths we would have gone all the way, because our defense was still a wrecking crew and 3 deep everywhere at the time.

And as for this being a good topic of discussion, it at least requires some debate about football philosophies and allows us to harken back and think about some names we rarely get to talk about anymore (Sinorice Moss, Kevin Everett, etc.) instead of going over the same "Who is going to start at QB?" crap yet again.

Advertisement
Back