OL Nino Francavilla commits to Miami

That season ending injury last year set him back. It is what it is...he just gotta keep working at it
What exactly was the nature of his injury? Was it a knee? If it was a bad knee injury then I can see how that would be the case. With Okunlola I think another season and offseason of grinding will help him tremendously. By the beginning of next season, he should be vastly improved.

Advertisement
Samson don’t look to good tbh
Thats what people are saying, but hard to confirm. There may be a lot of NIL invested in Pancake. Whereas Nino and OJ are on the lower end at the moment I think that will be addressed soon, if the snap counts keep trending this way.

What exactly was the nature of his injury? Was it a knee? If it was a bad knee injury then I can see how that would be the case. With Okunlola I think another season and offseason of grinding will help him tremendously. By the beginning of next season, he should be vastly improved.

Not too sure but I seem to remember it was a MCL...I think

Advertisement
Thats what people are saying, but hard to confirm. There may be a lot of NIL invested in Pancake. Whereas Nino and OJ are on the lower end at the moment I think that will be addressed soon, if the snap counts keep trending this way.
I rewatched the second half and I'm not really sure where the Samson concern or backup OL freakout in general is coming from. For the most part they got good push every time and outside of a few assignment busts looked solid.

my understanding is that he rupture his pubococcygeus, puborectalis and iliococcygeus muscles. they were surgically repaired but he's back on track

Yeah but i think Nino has only played Center, correct?

So Carpenter is the center, and likely Rodriguez would be his direct backup/the kid they're grooming to take the job next year. He was out last week, so it makes sense Nino would be the next guy up at center.

Doesn't mean he's "ahead" of Samson, just he plays a niche position that very few kids on the OL can.
Agree to a point, but it's rather telling that "Pancake" isn't getting many snaps...by now, the light should have come on enough to play serious snaps vs FAMU

Advertisement
Nino caught my eye at Center Saturday. I think he played very well.

Excited My Guy GIF by Gogglebox Australia

Agree to a point, but it's rather telling that "Pancake" isn't getting many snaps...by now, the light should have come on enough to play serious snaps vs FAMU

Wait a minute.... are you insinuating that a kid who played dog **** competition in Massachusetts and needed work on both technique and strength, who then suffers a knee injury 1/2 way through his freshman season, because he is not starting by game 2 or getting "many" snaps by game 2 of his soph year the light is not on?

OL are the hardest to predict. I agree I think a lot expected a lot more of him but some of the more seasoned guys on the board said he needed work. Add in injury its not shocking he is still fighting for a spot.

He also played with all the second teamers as long as they played which makes sense in a game like that. If he did not play it would be an issue. I think they tried him at G and he is projecting more as a tackle. I think it is clear they want Bell to lock down the LT spot once Rivers leaves next year. Francis is doing just fine at RT but I think a lot project him as a G at the next level and Samson appears to be the backup RT at this point. I would not be shocked next year to see a OL of Bell-McCoy-Rodriguez or Nino-Francis-Samson

Lets Francis put out some good tape at G and I think he can be elite there. Lets not write off a kid who has been on campus for 14 months and injured for 10 of em.

Nino proving that Mirabalio still has that magic eye. Was he even rated when he flipped from Harvard to us? Coop, McCoy, Rodriguez, Kinsler and Nino all 2-3 star guys who look to be hitting pay dirt. I saw Tinilau get it too, but didn’t focus on him and was watching from a streaming service so no idea how he played.

Give Samson some time. I was having an argument with Bostoncanes about how he would need a year or two to adjust way back when he was a top recruit. The talent in MA’s best school is below the talent of any given tricounty South Florida program. But that frame doesn’t lie. As long as he sticks with Mirabalio, he will end up a Day 1 or 2 pick. He may not want to face the comp though. We’ll know soon enough.

Advertisement
Wait a minute.... are you insinuating that a kid who played dog **** competition in Massachusetts and needed work on both technique and strength, who then suffers a knee injury 1/2 way through his freshman season, because he is not starting by game 2 or getting "many" snaps by game 2 of his soph year the light is not on?

OL are the hardest to predict. I agree I think a lot expected a lot more of him but some of the more seasoned guys on the board said he needed work. Add in injury its not shocking he is still fighting for a spot.

He also played with all the second teamers as long as they played which makes sense in a game like that. If he did not play it would be an issue. I think they tried him at G and he is projecting more as a tackle. I think it is clear they want Bell to lock down the LT spot once Rivers leaves next year. Francis is doing just fine at RT but I think a lot project him as a G at the next level and Samson appears to be the backup RT at this point. I would not be shocked next year to see a OL of Bell-McCoy-Rodriguez or Nino-Francis-Samson

Lets Francis put out some good tape at G and I think he can be elite there. Lets not write off a kid who has been on campus for 14 months and injured for 10 of em.
Where did I ever say I was giving up on him or writing him off? I simply said I expected more from him at this point.

Advertisement
Not necessarily. Samson lost a lot of development time by having to rehab from what was a much more serious injury than was let on. Give the kid another year and he should be ok.

Nino proving that Mirabalio still has that magic eye. Was he even rated when he flipped from Harvard to us? Coop, McCoy, Rodriguez, Kinsler and Nino all 2-3 star guys who look to be hitting pay dirt. I saw Tinilau get it too, but didn’t focus on him and was watching from a streaming service so no idea how he played.

Give Samson some time. I was having an argument with Bostoncanes about how he would need a year or two to adjust way back when he was a top recruit. The talent in MA’s best school is below the talent of any given tricounty South Florida program. But that frame doesn’t lie. As long as he sticks with Mirabalio, he will end up a Day 1 or 2 pick. He may not want to face the comp though. We’ll know soon enough.
Sure but there are a couple of other things that need to be taken into consideration. The first one is that when Samson was recruited, he was long, on the leaner side and super athletic. He really lacked the type of core functional strength that is absolutely necessary on this level. The type of strength that Cici Mauigoa had already when he came in.

Now put that together with a major injury during summer/fall of 23. He was an EE but that injury set him back a full year. He still isn't back to his pre injury form. That's a lot for a kid to handle but he's been working hard. I say to give Samson this year to continue working his way back and get backup reps plus all of next offseason and he should be a different player in 2025.

Sure but there are a couple of other things that need to be taken into consideration. The first one is that when Samson was recruited, he was long, on the leaner side and super athletic. He really lacked the type of core functional strength that is absolutely necessary on this level. The type of strength that Cici Mauigoa had already when he came in.

Now put that together with a major injury during summer/fall of 23. He was an EE but that injury set him back a full year. He still isn't back to his pre injury form. That's a lot for a kid to handle but he's been working hard. I say to give Samson this year to continue working his way back and get backup reps plus all of next offseason and he should be a different player in 2025.
Dude was already 300lbs in high school. State champion wrestler and shot putter / discuss thrower.

Advertisement
Back