Offensive Adjustments

Advertisement
I to believe that James Coley wasn't as bad as many made him out to be. Dudes did an excellent job identifying his flaws fairly and succinctly.

I to believe that James Coley wasn't as bad as many made him out to be. Dudes did an excellent job identifying his flaws fairly and succinctly.

The problem for me was the fact that he has been under the tutelage of one of the best in the business and still struggled.
Its like he learned nothing from Bimbo.

Coley fully expectes us to line up and out athlete teams. You cant name a game where he found a mismatch by using motions and formation shifts.

We were so predictable and never used our tendencies to open up more offense.

You never saw njoku line up in the Y in shotgun twins spread then motion to the TE to catch a mismatch on a linebacker.

Its the small stuff like that,whic makes a huge difference, that Coley sucked at.

Coley was so predictable it was easy for a defense. "Miami in twins, malcolm lewis in slot, coley at the X. Whats the play? Wr bubble screen to coley.
We never used that look to fake a screen and run another play off it.

Chip kelly would kill with the bubble then hit you with the fake bubble/hb draw. Worked everytime.

Like someone states before. Outside of his first drive, coley was clueless.

And for christ sakes, he never developed a redzone identity. Thats detrimental to an OC'S success.
Gotta have a redzone playbook.

I have a question. When coaches say they have the first 15 plays scripted do they mean that literally? Like if play #9 is a run but it's 3 and 9 do they still run that play or is it that they have 15 plays they want to try early in the game?

I think it helps that Richt is a qb by training so can add that perspective to his offensive game planning and calling. He has also been a qb coach and OC at the highest level in college. He was the qb coach when FSU totally revamped their offense to suit Charlie Ward's skill set. He brings the necessary experience to make adjustments and build an offense to the strength of his players. He's seen it done before.

Like has already been mentioned, Coley was a good game planner and that is what Jimbo used him as. During the game it was Jimbo that made the adjustments. I think Coley needed more seasoning perhaps from a lower tiered program. He was not yet ready for prime time college football as a coordinator. UM is not the place to learn on the fly.

Advertisement
I have a question. When coaches say they have the first 15 plays scripted do they mean that literally? Like if play [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=9]#9 [/URL] is a run but it's 3 and 9 do they still run that play or is it that they have 15 plays they want to try early in the game?

I think scripted based on down and distance and perhaps certain looks they have scouted from the opposing defense. It does not really make sense if play #9 is a run and you are facing 3rd and 9, or an 8 man front.

I'll throw my 2 cents in there...

From what I've seen and heard from Richt, the offense is built around allowing the QB to adjust on the fly to what the defense is giving him.

If they blitz Richt teaches his QB to throw to where the blitz came from (so maybe a RB in flats, etc).
If they are in zone the QB will look for his stick routes, etc.
If man he'll look post, fly, outs (depending on safeties)

The offense, specifically the play design, is built for flexibility - it attacks zone or man in any given play-call. There's a reason he develops QB's so well - his scheme is #1 built around the run game, #2 designed to give his QB all the tools he'll need to diagnose defenses, #3 the detail to footwork is phenomenal by all accounts, and #4 the routes are simple and repetitive (Richt has go to routes that he'll use over and over again but in different formations and looks).

This is a great point. By giving Kaaya several play options to choose from, Richt can use Kaaya's eyes to affect the course of the offensive flow. I've talked a lot about RPOs (run-pass options) and I think we'll see a lot of that from Kaaya - this keeps the defense from pinning back and over-committing, partly because any play could come out of any formation.

Like I said in another thread, I'm no football expert and appreciate reading these kind of threads, very informative. Thanks guys

Me too. Great stuff, thanks to everyone. I will be looking to see chains move, 3 rd down conversions, points and running the clock at end of game with heart ripping long drive until the gun. The how, I know not.

I haven't seen Richt create anything groundbreaking, and I kind of appreciate that because the flexibility is built in, as others have stated. He just has sound concepts against various defensive packages. My biggest concern, as I've written about for the last month, is pace. For whatever reason (there have been plenty offered), as time passed in GA, he slowed down and ran a different type of attack. Everything he has said in the media reflects getting back to dictating to defenses.

And, that's the whole game: who's dictating to whom? For 5 years, we've played counterpunch and run football, on both sides of the ball, because we haven't been flexible enough schematically or had the guts to play with real pace.

:q3XKXeX:

His run and shoot was groundbreaking. did you even watch him at FSU?

From what I've seen in Miami practices, hoss. The funny thing about your snide remark is that Richt didn't create the run and shoot at FSU.

But, by all means, educate us and add pictures, please.

I have a question. When coaches say they have the first 15 plays scripted do they mean that literally? Like if play [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=9]#9 [/URL] is a run but it's 3 and 9 do they still run that play or is it that they have 15 plays they want to try early in the game?

I think scripted based on down and distance and perhaps certain looks they have scouted from the opposing defense. It does not really make sense if play #9 is a run and you are facing 3rd and 9, or an 8 man front.

That's what I figured, but it always sound like they've got a script that they follow no matter what.

Advertisement

That's what I figured, but it always sound like they've got a script that they follow no matter what.

At times, it seemed as if Coley actually had a script that he followed no matter what. The third and long play-action calls still give me cold sweats.

At times, it seemed as if Coley actually had a script that he followed no matter what. The third and long play-action calls still give me cold sweats.

What wakes me up in the wee hours is 3rd and 1 and Doritos has the CBs 10 yds off the line.

Advertisement
Back