Offensive Adjustments

RepTheGables

Energy Vampire
To [MENTION=293]ghost2[/MENTION] (or anyone else willing to offer Canes Insight)-

Many people (rightfully) talked trash about James Coley, but the guy gameplanned quite well, getting yards and points early on. He struggled mightily once he went off script, which is (I assume) an indictment of his ability to adjust and counter-adjust.

What's your impression of Mark Richt's ability to adjust on offense? The consensus seems to be that he's all about simple concepts executed to perfection. Does that impair his ability to surprise opposing defensive coordinators? Perhaps most importantly- does he have a track record of dictating the action on offense and not just taking what defenses have given him?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'll throw my 2 cents in there...

From what I've seen and heard from Richt, the offense is built around allowing the QB to adjust on the fly to what the defense is giving him.

If they blitz Richt teaches his QB to throw to where the blitz came from (so maybe a RB in flats, etc).
If they are in zone the QB will look for his stick routes, etc.
If man he'll look post, fly, outs (depending on safeties)

The offense, specifically the play design, is built for flexibility - it attacks zone or man in any given play-call. There's a reason he develops QB's so well - his scheme is #1 built around the run game, #2 designed to give his QB all the tools he'll need to diagnose defenses, #3 the detail to footwork is phenomenal by all accounts, and #4 the routes are simple and repetitive (Richt has go to routes that he'll use over and over again but in different formations and looks).

He could script a decent first drive, true. As we have bore witness it doesnt sustain success.

Every OC has there niche'. Some are great at recognizing weaknesses in your defense(mentally or athletically) some rely on playcalling rhythm that keeps a defense off kiel.
Some rely on dominant athletes.

I would say mark can spot where you are defecient athletically and playcall with such a rhythm that the defense doesnt know whats coming.

"Taking what the defense gives" is Mark's forte. But when youve been around florida athletes your entire life;and now coaching them, you learn to to take what the defense gives you because it works.

To [MENTION=293]ghost2[/MENTION] (or anyone else willing to offer Canes Insight)-

Many people (rightfully) talked trash about James Coley, but the guy gameplanned quite well, getting yards and points early on. He struggled mightily once he went off script, which is (I assume) an indictment of his ability to adjust and counter-adjust.

What's your impression of Mark Richt's ability to adjust on offense? The consensus seems to be that he's all about simple concepts executed to perfection. Does that impair his ability to surprise opposing defensive coordinators? Perhaps most importantly- does he have a track record of dictating the action on offense and not just taking what defenses have given him?

Thanks in advance.

Generally speaking I think Richt is willing/able to make adjustments to his playcalling. Very recently in fact, he was quoted that he likes to go in with a fixed set of plays for various situations, but admitted that sometimes you have to completely abandon the script and adjust to what the defense is showing you. That in and of itself speaks to his ability to improvise his playcalling.

That said, he will not abandon his fundamental concepts/philosophies for the sake of adjustment. In other words, even if the defense is stopping the inside zone, he's not going to suddenly implement a power/trap running game. Similarly if DBs are jumping the hitch route, he might call a double move to keep them honest, but he's not going to throw out his entire passing offense to try and over-correct. In other words, I think he'll adjust his PLAYCALLING, but not always his gameplan or scheme, if that makes sense.

This is something I screamed at about James Coley. He would make adjustments, but his adjustments seemed like he was trying to invent a whole new offense on the fly, so it completely destroyed any semblance of rhythm or consistency within the gameplan.

Coley did not understand personnel groupings or route concepts. Or how to use run formations to open the passing game and help your oline.

Coley didnt even have a redzone offense or a full route tree. His checkdown offense was non existent.

Now i see why bimbo never trusted him. He isnt cerebral enough to see the big picture.

Advertisement

From what I've seen and heard from Richt, the offense is built around allowing the QB to adjust on the fly to what the defense is giving him.

If they blitz Richt teaches his QB to throw to where the blitz came from (so maybe a RB in flats, etc).

The offense, specifically the play design, is built for flexibility - it attacks zone or man in any given play-call. There's a reason he develops QB's so well - his scheme is #1 built around the run game, #2 designed to give his QB all the tools he'll need to diagnose defenses, #3 the detail to footwork is phenomenal by all accounts, and #4 the routes are simple and repetitive (Richt has go to routes that he'll use over and over again but in different formations and looks).

This is a great point. By giving Kaaya several play options to choose from, Richt can use Kaaya's eyes to affect the course of the offensive flow. I've talked a lot about RPOs (run-pass options) and I think we'll see a lot of that from Kaaya - this keeps the defense from pinning back and over-committing, partly because any play could come out of any formation.

Excellent responses, thank you.

I agree that Coley's "adjustments" were extreme to the point of seeming junior varsity. It seems that you want an OC who has a solid, fundamental philosophy but isn't so stubborn as to take the ship down with him.

I just want the season to start!

Thanks in advance.

Generally speaking I think Richt is willing/able to make adjustments to his playcalling. Very recently in fact, he was quoted that he likes to go in with a fixed set of plays for various situations, but admitted that sometimes you have to completely abandon the script and adjust to what the defense is showing you. That in and of itself speaks to his ability to improvise his playcalling.

That said, he will not abandon his fundamental concepts/philosophies for the sake of adjustment. In other words, even if the defense is stopping the inside zone, he's not going to suddenly implement a power/trap running game. Similarly if DBs are jumping the hitch route, he might call a double move to keep them honest, but he's not going to throw out his entire passing offense to try and over-correct. In other words, I think he'll adjust his PLAYCALLING, but not always his gameplan or scheme, if that makes sense.

This is something I screamed at about James Coley. He would make adjustments, but his adjustments seemed like he was trying to invent a whole new offense on the fly, so it completely destroyed any semblance of rhythm or consistency within the gameplan.

Agree with Richt not abandoning the gameplan because a few things aren't working.

Something I appreciated about the 01 team was the simplicity in the offense and the fact that we wouldn't stop trying to establish the run no matter what. This had a 2 pronged effect - 1) we wore teams down and 2) we limited turnovers.

The 01 offensive scheme, on paper, was incredibly "boring" to those who love the fast paced play of Oregon/Houston/Baylor/Clemson.

But there was some genius in that boring offense that I'm not even sure Coker understood at the time (same goes for Shannon's boring/bland defense).

With Florida athletes the key is keeping it simple and allowing them to beat the guy accross from them - something they typically do better than athletes anywhere in the country.

Last edited:
With Florida athletes the key is keeping it simple and allowing them to beat the guy accross from them - something they typically do better than athletes anywhere in the country.[/QUOTE]

This is what i meant when i said Mark has learned to " take what the defense gives you. With florida athletes you can be given a lot.

Advertisement
Good posts.

I think Richt will keep pounding on what is working even if its calling the same play 5 times in a row. I dont think he will try to get overly creative.

Most teams that are good have an identity and most people have a great idea of what they are going to run. If you can execute the plays at a high level, its just about having to stop it.

Just like Nebraska back in the day with the veer. Everyone knew what was coming but it was whether you could stop them. They had great lineman and great running qbs and rbs. It was hat on hat who is going to impose their will.

I haven't seen Richt create anything groundbreaking, and I kind of appreciate that because the flexibility is built in, as others have stated. He just has sound concepts against various defensive packages. My biggest concern, as I've written about for the last month, is pace. For whatever reason (there have been plenty offered), as time passed in GA, he slowed down and ran a different type of attack. Everything he has said in the media reflects getting back to dictating to defenses.

And, that's the whole game: who's dictating to whom? For 5 years, we've played counterpunch and run football, on both sides of the ball, because we haven't been flexible enough schematically or had the guts to play with real pace.

I haven't seen Richt create anything groundbreaking, and I kind of appreciate that because the flexibility is built in, as others have stated. He just has sound concepts against various defensive packages. My biggest concern, as I've written about for the last month, is pace. For whatever reason (there have been plenty offered), as time passed in GA, he slowed down and ran a different type of attack. Everything he has said in the media reflects getting back to dictating to defenses.

And, that's the whole game: who's dictating to whom? For 5 years, we've played counterpunch and run football, on both sides of the ball, because we haven't been flexible enough schematically or had the guts to play with real pace.
I think the pace issue at UGA was more Mike Bobo's call than Richt.
They haven't really had a decent QB since Murray, and when they did have him their offense was among the tops in the nation & was ranked #1 in 2012 (I believe).

I've enjoyed your pieces on the comparisons between the offenses you did this offseason, it was a very informative look at what we might potentially see, but also keeps in mind that Richt will probably do some things differently than he did at Georgia (as he should).

The thing I'm most interested in seeing with Richt being the play caller, is exactly how often will he go 4 Wide sets and specifically which quad of WR's/TE Flex will be those guys & how will (if at all) he utilize draw plays out of those sets.

They haven't really had a decent QB since Murray, and when they did have him their offense was among the tops in the nation & was ranked #1 in 2012 (I believe).

I've enjoyed your pieces on the comparisons between the offenses you did this offseason, it was a very informative look at what we might potentially see, but also keeps in mind that Richt will probably do some things differently than he did at Georgia (as he should).

The thing I'm most interested in seeing with Richt being the play caller, is exactly how often will he go 4 Wide sets and specifically which quad of WR's/TE Flex will be those guys & how will (if at all) he utilize draw plays out of those sets.

How much of the offense do you think he rolls out against FAMU?

I would assume he will be pretty basic and just kicked the **** out of them.

Advertisement

How much of the offense do you think he rolls out against FAMU?

I would assume he will be pretty basic and just kicked the **** out of them.

20%? Gonna see a good amount of I-form, lots of basic route trees and probably just begin rolling in the option plays (letting Kaaya practice those) and spurts of pace.

Other than that, have some drinks, eat decent food, and enjoy watching the young players on Saturday. Particularly, Homer, Richards, Irvin, Haskins and St. Louis on offense.

This is a great point. By giving Kaaya several play options to choose from, Richt can use Kaaya's eyes to affect the course of the offensive flow. I've talked a lot about RPOs (run-pass options) and I think we'll see a lot of that from Kaaya - this keeps the defense from pinning back and over-committing, partly because any play could come out of any formation.

Like I said in another thread, I'm no football expert and appreciate reading these kind of threads, very informative. Thanks guys

Thanks in advance.

He won 70%+ of games as the HC of UGA. Id say the answer to your question is already there.

Coley was like Golden, talk the talk but was crippled when it came to walking.

We are in very good hands...trust and respect

Advertisement
Having watched Coach for 15 years he will keep pretty basic against FAMU. However he will run a couple plays/formations that is in book for later games. Predict he will Lao let Kaaya run one or two series to start 2nd half regardless of score.

what year did he slow down at UGA?

:q3XKXeX:

His run and shoot was groundbreaking. did you even watch him at FSU?

Thanks in advance.

He won 70%+ of games as the HC of UGA. Id say the answer to your question is already there.

Coley was like Golden, talk the talk but was crippled when it came to walking.

We are in very good hands...trust and respect

I appreciate the optimism, but I think that we can get more specific than W-L.

Advertisement
Back