Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

Phil Steele lost his fastball many years ago. I think he has some favorite advanced metrics and he bases his projections heavily on those. With OL he heavily emphasizes starts. It’s a valuable metric but a crappy OL will be forced to start guys at a younger age and a lack of talent will keep guys around through redshirt sr seasons. I think this fsu OL is good. But they ain’t #5 in the country.

Advertisement
Offensive line experience is almost always a good thing. Cohesiveness and grown man strength are two of the biggest factors for a line’s effectiveness. That said, FSU’s experienced line just has a lot of experience being mediocre. They were 59th in sacks allowed per game. 76th in rushing offense. And 59th in yards per rush. Those numbers scream “very average” to me.

Offensive line experience is almost always a good thing. Cohesiveness and grown man strength are two of the biggest factors for a line’s effectiveness. That said, FSU’s experienced line just has a lot of experience being mediocre. They were 59th in sacks allowed per game. 76th in rushing offense. And 59th in yards per rush. Those numbers scream “very average” to me.
So just imagine how scrappy their line will be next year when three or four of those starters are gone

Advertisement

Just don’t see it. They were that good yet we got after Travis all game. When was it 2020 or 21 when we had the most experienced OL in the country.

Let's see, they list 9 guys, but 5 will play.

They've got 2 RS Juniors who have under 200 snaps each. Doesn't sound impressive.

Byers transferred into F$U from UTEP a year ago. That's a lot of snaps at a much lower level. Enrolled in 2019, so a super senior.
Smith enrolled at F$U in 2019, so he is a super-senior, which helps to explain his number of snaps.
Washington also enrolled at F$U in 2019, so he is also a super-senior with a lot of snaps.
Scott also enrolled at F$U during the non-counting COVID year, so he has a lot of snaps.
Jones transferred into F$U from Auburn a year ago. Also a 2019 enrollee, so a super senior.
Rizy enrolled at Harvard during the non-counting COVID year and has just transferred to F$U in 2024.
Leonard enrolled at Florida in 2019, and just transferred to F$U in 2024.

So let's evaluate, shall we. The top 5 "snap-count" guys are made up of 3 pre-COVID F$U guys and 2 transfers that they've had for a year. To that, they have added two recent transfers. I'm not really going to count Ferguson, who just transferred to F$U after having NOT played at Alabama or Estes, who enrolled at F$U during the COVID year and has barely played.

Yes, their top 5 "snap-count" guys have a lot of experience. They were on an "undefeated" team last year. As for the overall offensive production?

Total Yards per game ? Not in the Top 25 (Miami ahead of F$U).
Passing yards per game? Not in the Top 25 (Miami ahead of F$U).
Rushing yards per game? Not in the Top 25 (Miami ahead of F$U).

So this vaunted offensive line that returns five top guys? I'm not saying it's the worst, but it certainly isn't the best. I'll give them credit for beating LSU, but the rest of the schedule was a weak ACC and a terrible Florida team, so they should have been able to run up some nice yardage in the passing and/or running game.

Right now, they are just touting quantity over quality.

F$U Wheel of Fortune...

1720900863068.webp

Advertisement
Advertisement
Phil Steele lost his fastball many years ago. I think he has some favorite advanced metrics and he bases his projections heavily on those. With OL he heavily emphasizes starts. It’s a valuable metric but a crappy OL will be forced to start guys at a younger age and a lack of talent will keep guys around through redshirt sr seasons. I think this fsu OL is good. But they ain’t #5 in the country.

To be fair, all of the most accurate prediction magazines/previews are analytic based.

Steele hasn’t lost it due to his use of analytic models.
He’s lost it some because the next generation that grew up on him have gone even further in the analytics and so have surpassed him with their mathematical formulas.
Bill Connelly, Pick Six Preview, etc.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Phil Steele has Miami as #1 or #2 in the ACC in every position group but safety

Advertisement
Back