NEWTON....

Advertisement
I've never been a fan of Newton but that shot was insane...I was screaming WTF is he doing with the ball? Pass the **** ball and boom, he makes the sh*t! Great overall team effort and the kid definitely deserves some love until he ****s up again 😂😂😂
Same when he was taking those two steps with a few more seconds left to dribble I was you fcking psycho what are you doing ?? And then that was all she wrote

when quan is bad he's bad but we really need his off the dribble penetration right now. can't have the offense relying on creation from lykes/lonnie every possession down.
Agreed. He can get his shot off against anyone and we'll need him come tournament time. But we have to live with low lows and the high highs. As long as he remains our 3rd or 4th scoring option we've got a chance to be pretty good.

Lykes is becoming more and more of a handful.

Advertisement
when quan is bad he's bad but we really need his off the dribble penetration right now. can't have the offense relying on creation from lykes/lonnie every possession down.

Yep. The warts in his game are obvious, but on this team we need him, and you're right as to why. His penetration can really stir the drink for us on offense when he plays within himself. IMHO he also deserves credit for his defense. He can be fairly disruptive. The off-season talk of him losing all his minutes with the incoming players was funny stuff. We weren't deep enough for that even before Bruce Brown's injury. We can all hope we get the good Jaquan going forward. He seems like the type of kid who needs his confidence to play well, and he has seemed to lack that for a good chunk of ACC play.

Yep. The warts in his game are obvious, but on this team we need him, and you're right as to why. His penetration can really stir the drink for us on offense when he plays within himself. IMHO he also deserves credit for his defense. He can be fairly disruptive. The off-season talk of him losing all his minutes with the incoming players was funny stuff. We weren't deep enough for that even before Bruce Brown's injury. We can all hope we get the good Jaquan going forward. He seems like the type of kid who needs his confidence to play well, and he has seemed to lack that for a good chunk of ACC play.

We've largely been getting the good Ja'Quan for a while. His weaknesses can still be maddening and they have really stuck out at memorable times. But the majority of what he's been doing has been decent, if not good. Last night was another game with zero turnovers from him I think. Coming into the season the thing I was most worried about with him was the assist-turnover rate. He still doesn't get many assists bc that's not really his game, but he has cut down significantly on the turnovers (under 2 per game) and actually has a positive ratio. Now, his field goal percentage and free throw percentage are also down this year which is frustrating, but I don't think he has totally regressed as a player like some posters. I'm happy for him that he had this kind of night in his senior year because I think there was a chance for a bad taste to be left in people's mouths about his career.

Advertisement
Happy for him to have that moment last night. Good for him and good for the team. I think most of us here have been pretty hard on him over the years. He has his faults and limitations, but he's been giving a lot of effort on defense and was the teams biggest cheerleader when he was on the bench and Lykes was in during the BC comeback. Overall, he's been a better player this year than last.

I've been hard on Newton for years now. Those four free throws were huge and he was ready to attack right when Berry hit that 3. Great point by @numbers, he was cheering hard for Lykes during those last few minutes against BC and you gotta respect that. If we want to make any noise in the tourney, we need his help. Hoping he can take this and build the right type of confidence heading into the post season. Keep limiting turnovers, play within the offense and himself, and attack and finish when there is opportunity to do so.

Advertisement
I haven't been near as vocal lately, but I've been hard on the kid for a couple of seasons now. Very happy for him and his moment. Silencing that crowd in that manner makes him a Canes Hoops Legend in my book. GET 'EM, QUAN!

I've been hard on Newton for years now. Those four free throws were huge and he was ready to attack right when Berry hit that 3. Great point by @numbers, he was cheering hard for Lykes during those last few minutes against BC and you gotta respect that. If we want to make any noise in the tourney, we need his help. Hoping he can take this and build the right type of confidence heading into the post season. Keep limiting turnovers, play within the offense and himself, and attack and finish when there is opportunity to do so.

Yup, before he even made those FTs and the game winning shot. As soon as I saw him going crazy for Lykes I gained respect for him.

Advertisement
Back