New vs. Old Debate: Signing Day

Which Signing Day Structure Do You Prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Speaking of new vs. old, I am ready for a new attitude on both signing days that we aren't going to swing and miss on every big name recruit. I am not at all blaming Manny for this season, as Richt handed off a total piece of crap, but it is time to be able to get excited about recruiting again!

Literally last year we had a great early signing day. I am convinced that goldfish have better memories than most around here.

Advertisement
I use to like the old way, the excitement surrounding it, but it got old for me. The handful of kids smelling themselves that would clown schools and the hat BS was juvenile. I'm fine with the early signing day, the portal and NSD now.

Definitely this version. More variables involved. Two chances instead of one. Three counting the portal.

And I am convinced this calendar helps Miami's cause, no matter how it played out this year. When recruits are taking campus visits deep in the process leading up to the February signing day I have always believed Miami could not win that comparison. It may be colder in those cities but that only lends itself to the coach and recruiting coordinators walking the recruits to an on-campus stadium that Miami lacks. That stadium is the centerpiece of campus. Jim Mora made a great point on the signing day show today about California kids now going to Oregon because they see the incredible atmosphere in that stadium compared to USC and UCLA now experiencing down periods with half empty stadiums.

Those recruits visiting toward the February date also can be taken to on-campus conference basketball games and a packed house and environment that the Canes can't threaten, especially this year. Do you really want recruits showing up to Miami basketball games of recent weeks? Nobody there.

Besides, the solo February date had become the most overrated day of the year. We'd wait all year for 90% known quantities and 10% disappointments. Nothing fell our way.

Today's ESPN programming was actually more more interesting than the full signing day. Richt and Mora, and Saban briefly, talked about very relevant issues and how they impact the game, along with how they may change.

What I miss about the old, was that there was much more hype and excitement leading up to February. Now, half or more of the class is already signed in December and it's taken away from it a bit. I used to take today off for this.

I do like getting a lot of recruits in in December, though.

Advertisement
Agnostic. Win 10+ games and have fun doing it. Then signing days (however many there are) will be more fun and we will be in the playoff conversation on an annual basis.

I’m basically getting to the point of being over recruiting (as far as following the middle school drama of the daily rumor mill). Manny has the train on the tracks and running on schedule. As long as that continues, I’m just going to enjoy.

I kinda like the 2 days but why are they so close? Literally a month and a half, what's the point? Maybe like an August or September option, so kids that know where they want to go can sign before their senior season and won't get hassled and have to deal with all the drama and can focus on their school work and football. Also for the college and coaches, those kids are locked in and you can focus on your season and already know whose left and what positions you need to focus on. It's also far removed from all the circus activity going on at the end of the season, as well as even successful teams and coaches trying to juggle preparing for bowls or post season and the early signing period.

I prefer the new format. A lot of these kids have their mind made up way before February and it gives them an opportunity to shut it down and get ready for college. There's no reason to drag on the recruitment process any longer than it already is.

Advertisement
Back