New Commit 5/30/24 Bobby Marsh LF/1B (SO) Penn State (D1)

The new commit was Penn State transfer Bobby Marsh

Interestingly he originally committed to FAU.

Advertisement
Yup, steady older bat I like pick up
Nice pickup, but we need at least 3 more better bats at the moment to put this guy where he should be in a lineup, at least 6 or even lower. If this kid is hitting in the 2, 3, or 4 slots we are in a lot of trouble.

Nice pickup, but we need at least 3 more better bats at the moment to put this guy where he should be in a lineup, at least 6 or even lower. If this kid is hitting in the 2, 3, or 4 slots we are in a lot of trouble.
Go get a top notch CATCHER, SS, CF...
If you can get a 3B, move Cuvet to 1st.
A leadoff hitter would be great.

Go get a top notch CATCHER, SS, CF...
If you can get a 3B, move Cuvet to 1st.
A leadoff hitter would be great.
We only have 3 spots open? Other than Marsh and Cuvet who do you see as being given spots in the lineup? Maybe Dorian, if he returns, Carrier and Villegas? We need a lot more than just a catcher, SS and a CF in the portal offensively and in the field.

Advertisement
Are some names already known?
We are trying to work quietly and aggressively. As disappointing as the season was, you guys would be happy with the names and the process in the Portal. I’ll post scouting reports as the results start coming in.

One primary goal is improving the physicality, athleticism and upside across the board. We didn’t look the part last year, and that’s a big reason we didn’t play the part. You won’t see a JD Urso-type at 1B this year.

We are trying to work quietly and aggressively. As disappointing as the season was, you guys would be happy with the names and the process in the Portal. I’ll post scouting reports as the results start coming in.

One primary goal is improving the physicality, athleticism and upside across the board. We didn’t look the part last year, and that’s a big reason we didn’t play the part. You won’t see a JD Urso-type at 1B this year.
Any chance we can bring Cyr or Torres back?

We only have 3 spots open? Other than Marsh and Cuvet who do you see as being given spots in the lineup? Maybe Dorian, if he returns, Carrier and Villegas? We need a lot more than just a catcher, SS and a CF in the portal offensively and in the field.
No, we have more than three spots open.
I emphasized those three positions as priorities. In the ACC we had the worst SS, 11th best Catchers, middle of the pack CF. Start with these positions and build off of that foundation.
Dorian deserves to come back and compete for the starting 2B spot. His bat at 7-8-9 in the order will mean we have a legit lineup.
Carrier needs to move on... We can replace him with a portal player or an incoming freshmen.I am surprised that his name is not in the portal.
Villegas is another player who should try and get drafted, or get into the portal. Why give him at bats,and take away at bats from a younger players development?

Advertisement

Wasn't JD the recruiting coordinator bringing in this team that didn't look the part? Who is behind this transformation to field a team that looks the part?

He’s a good bat to bet on. I’m not intending to be a wet blanket, but because of how high the run environment was in college baseball last year, his wRC+ was 104. With 100 being an average hitter. Which adjusts for ballpark that you’re hitting in. (Think of hitting at Coors not being the same as hitting at Mets Stadium)

For reference, the year before, Costello was a 109 wRC+ when he came in. He went on to put up a 76 with Miami.

Have no doubt he will be a solid player, but when you add in the limited glove and baserunning and this is sort of an average baseline player from a WAR perspective (Wins Above Replacement) and he will be stepping up in competition.

Advertisement
Back