NCAA halts NIL cases

jkdood

All ACC
1709337657549.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Only thing the NcAA is going to accomplish is make a bunch of lawyers rich. Jeffrey Kessler will probably get a new jet out of this.

Justice Kavanaugh so going to absolutely filet them again.

Why they think they can decide what a persons Name Image and Likeness is worth is beyond me. They have been told been told by the Supreme Court pretty forcefully they couldn’t and still are trying to find ways around that.

Also if you notice the dollar amount listed? 600 would seem like a random number like why not $500? It is the because 600:is the standard payment EA sports is paying D1 athletes to be in the game. Good luck like explaining that one in court.

Only thing the NcAA is going to accomplish is make a bunch of lawyers rich. Jeffrey Kessler will probably get a new jet out of this.

Why they think they can decide what a persons Name Image and Likeness is worth is beyond me. They have been told been told by the Supreme Court pretty forcefully they couldn’t and still are trying to find ways around that.

Also if you notice the dollar amount listed? 600 would seem like a random number like why not $500? It is the because 600:is the standard payment EA sports is paying D1 athletes to be in the game. Good luck like explaining that one in court.
Exactly. At most, the NCAA gets insight into contracts. However, the approval stuff can't/won't be working, especially in regards to the amount being paid out, because of already existing rulings.

The NCAA can't influence the amount of money being paid out to a student-athlete. That won't change and it won't be subject to any sort of approval.

Advertisement

This scheme smells to the high heavens like the doings of Nick Saban and the heads of the SEC.

Signed,

Peruche

I think the $600 limit also has something to do with 1099s. If I remember correctly, any earnings below $600 does not require a 1099.

This scheme smells to the high heavens like the doings of Nick Saban and the heads of the SEC.

Signed,

Peruche
Nope. That's the NCAA.

I can see why it could be the SEC but I can see certain SEC programs absolutely not interested in such a settlement.

Exactly. At most, the NCAA gets insight into contracts. However, the approval stuff can't/won't be working, especially in regards to the amount being paid out, because of already existing rulings.

The NCAA can't influence the amount of money being paid out to a student-athlete. That won't change and it won't be subject to any sort of approval.

Only way the NCAA get insight into contracts is individual players volunteer them or schools make student athletes employees and collective bargain for that.

Advertisement
I think the $600 limit also has something to do with 1099s. If I remember correctly, any earnings below $600 does not require a 1099.
Correct. Under $600 does not need to be claimed but I think they are trying to change that as well because of the money people send eachother in Venmo/cashapp type stuff

Just an embarrassing **** show on every single level

Advertisement
Only way the NCAA get insight into contracts is individual players volunteer them or schools make student athletes employees and collective bargain for that.
This is where this settlement comes in.

The NCAA is still the governor in this sport and as the governor, they want some control over it. As much as we hate it, it's up to the judges as to how much control they get.

Advertisement
Back